Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

£100 more than I would pay for one.... :prankster:

I'm afraid I don't think you quite understand the market these are aimed at. They are for people who want a new one like they had as a kid or they never received for Christmas 19XX. Or as a present for grandad.

Most of us don't want old second hand junk  models that others had played with. Certainly not to give as a present.

Jason

But, but, with a little bit of imagination...

Hornby_A4_LNER_Img_3243abcdefg1_r1800.jpg.ebfc2200a9b92b510f2962557370fccf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 11/01/2022 at 20:51, robmcg said:

with a little bit of imagination...

Or with no imagination.........

SNG3R.JPG

I fully respect those who wish to collect older models but wouldn't pay a penny for them myself. I think its good of Hornby to offer a 'high end' version of some of their models and Dublo seems as good a name for it as any. It would appear enough wanted the two previous years run to make it commercially viable.  They will make a lot of people happy and that's what its all about - and company revenue!

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Making people happy is what it is all about and I am pleased that they are going to bring out R3997 City of London and R3994 Golden Fleece in the normal Hornby range.  Perhaps Hornby will bring them into the Hornby Dublo range later.  I will be able to compare City of London with my Wrenn model.  I never had a Hornby Dublo Golden Fleece as Jones Brothers of Chiswick converted my Mallard for 2-rail operation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Is it just me?

The Royal Scot set puts the loco in Early Crest livery, with maroon coaches?

Didn’t the original set come with Carmine and cream coaches?

Or are these maroon coaches meant to be in LMS livery?

There were two Hornby Dublo sets with Duchess of Montrose:
EDP12 - early BR crests with carmine and cream coaches
EDP22 - 'Royal Scot' set - early BR crest and maroon coaches

As Hornby have elected to make the new set a 'Royal Scot' set they have matched with EDP22

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, davidw said:

Thinking again on the A4. It really needs to be right. That is either a single chimney or a late crest on the tender. I'm surprised that Hornby have missed this. They're usually pretty good.

It is stated as 'Era 5', so should indeed come with a late crest. Did you contact Hornby about this?

I really would like the Gannet, but at that price? Would have to sell my R3819 Duchess of Atholl!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

It is stated as 'Era 5', so should indeed come with a late crest. Did you contact Hornby about this?

I really would like the Gannet, but at that price? Would have to sell my R3819 Duchess of Atholl!

I have yes.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Did you by any chance receive a response from Hornby on the crest issue?

Yes i did. I had a nice reply from them saying that it was a photoshop issue and SNG would come with a single chimney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, davidw said:

Yes i did. I had a nice reply from them saying that it was a photoshop issue and SNG would come with a single chimney.

Theres two issues though, on the bodyside is the plaque commerating its post war speed record, it was added in, 1994.

afaik 60007 has never run in green in preservation.

so the chimney makes no difference, if the plaque is there.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, davidw said:

If it's single chimney early crest then it depicts the A4 pre 57.

Not with a plaque commerating its 112mph post war speed record on 23rd May1959, sitting in the bodyside casing, added on November 5th 1994 it doesnt.

112-plaque.jpg
(url linked image to the Sir Nigel Gresley trust website)

https://sirnigelgresley.org.uk/hist-a.shtml

5th November 1994 Three weeks later special plaques commemorating the 112 mph run in 1959, were unveiled by Alan Pegler at Loughborough, before a large gathering of SNGLPT members.

lets hope Hornby knows that, as even as a photoshop i can only guess theyve used a 60022 version as a starting point and its a 126mph plaque were seeing ?

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/Hornby-dublo-br-a4-class-4-6-2-60007-sir-nigel-gresley-era-5-r3973?modal=-zoom

if it comes out with them on, its a brave man who takes them off a £300 metal body, if they dont they've got a work of fiction (unless Hornby knows something we dont in later 2022).

Fwiw in even if we are in “whatiffery”, May 1959, it had a late logo anyway… that day is documented here..

https://sirnigelgresley.org.uk/chime-archive/23may59.shtml

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 09:25, Farang said:

I had the Hornby Dublo Silver King. Looking back it seemed very small. Was it a "scale" model? How does its size compare to the current Hornby A4?

Designed in the 1930s,  driving wheels very undersized,  but "looks the part",  back in the late 1960s, saw a convincing hybrid of an early  Triang 60103 Flying Scotsman (the one with a Triang B12 chassis block) and a Dublo A4 body. the large driving wheels, which Triang introduced for the Scotsman model,  gave a major lift to the overall appearance of the Dublo body

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

We have, this evening, and despite promises to the contrary (though made by my now redundant sales rep)

Received an email from Hornby advising that our “set-in-stone”allocations of the A4 “Sir Nigel Gresley” and Dublo set have been cut.

This will probably be true for most retailers.

some of you are going to get some disappointing news I’m afraid.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Hi everyone 

We have received the same email as Trains4u , it is so annoying and frustrating to receive such an email after being allocated stock of such being a supposedly tier 1 retailer and having to ring and disappoint loyal customers though no fault of our making apart from trusting Hornby with regards to our allocated products.

What is even more annoying is that the said items are available to pre-order direct from Hornby ! Do Hornby just want to go back to where they were 6 years ago with complete disregard to their relationship with retailers? It’s ok apparently for retailers to stock slow moving products when Hornby have had their money for such but when it comes to desirable items we can sell and get an immediate return on , we can’t get any but Hornby can sell direct?

Very annoyed from Warrington 

• Friendly/supportive 15

Hornby may live to regret how they currently treat their customers/approved dealers with regard to pre-orders.

This is especially so at a time when people have less disposable income to spend on luxuries and the like, due to the current cost of living hikes.

Not a good experience, especially when you look at the likes of Accurascale, who in total contrast, seem to value their customers/approved outlets.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12

23 hours ago, Trains4U said:

We have, this evening, and despite promises to the contrary (though made by my now redundant sales rep)

Received an email from Hornby advising that our “set-in-stone”allocations of the A4 “Sir Nigel Gresley” and Dublo set have been cut.

This will probably be true for most retailers.

some of you are going to get some disappointing news I’m afraid.

Hi Gareth, was this sent by your Business Development Manager?

As we don’t even have a Hornby rep anymore not sure who tells us if this has happened. We no longer receive stock lists, back order lists etc. Thankfully we are still receiving the email and or phone call every month asking if we are going to pay our invoices on time. We are led to believe that every Hornby retailer gets the same phone call. Having never made a late payment in eleven years l do think it’s a dreadful waste of resources.

As Steve at Grimy Times alludes to, we have never had it so bad. But maybe it’s about to get worse. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

20 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi Gareth, was this sent by your Business Development Manager?

As we don’t even have a Hornby rep anymore not sure who tells us if this has happened. We no longer receive stock lists, back order lists etc. Thankfully we are still receiving the email and or phone call every month asking if we are going to pay our invoices on time. We are led to believe that every Hornby retailer gets the same phone call. Having never made a late payment in eleven years l do think it’s a dreadful waste of resources.

As Steve at Grimy Times alludes to, we have never had it so bad. But maybe it’s about to get worse. 

Likewise we've had the same email cutting some of our allocation by 50% and certain Corgi items by 100%.  We are going to have a few disappointed customers especially as we were promised as Tier 1 stockists we would get everything we asked for.

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Wicor-Models said:

Likewise we've had the same email cutting some of our allocation by 50% and certain Corgi items by 100%.  We are going to have a few disappointed customers especially as we were promised as Tier 1 stockists we would get everything we asked for.

Meanwhile, you can still buy many of these items direct from Hornby.

Unbelievable and extremely poor PR from Margate.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I was chatting with a tier one stockist a few weeks ago who said they have quite frankly 'given up' on Hornby. They no longer take pre orders from customers for Hornby Items as the only time they know what allocation they will ACTUALLY recieve, is when the invoice hits them a couple of days before delivery.

They will add you to a list, make absolutely no promises, and will start contacting customers once stock is in the shop to say yay or Nay. I also noticed while in the shop that the displays have changed drastically, Bachmann, Accurascale and other manufacturers/ supplier's display space has increased and Hornby's has shrunk by two thirds and seamed to be mainly scenics, wagon sets and carriages with few Locos. They are actively promoting those other suppliers/ manufacturers.

Sad to say I think Hornby are doing themselves no favours with these retailers who are having to watch a mainstream manufacturer/ Distributor cut into their livelihood, take away profit and still expect them to act as a local ' shop window' and promoter of Hornby products.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3