Citadel's Workbench - Carlisle in late Victorian times

Citadel

Help!  Need a bit of advice.  Have a serious hankering after something green with slotted splashers and an open cab to go with the Saltley coaches.  Totally taken by the Gerald Broom painting in LNWR liveries and had set my heart on a Lady of the Lake but understand that suitable wheels are a problem.  In terms of prototype think 7’ 6” 22 spoke but stand to be corrected.  Any solutions out there?

Coal Tank, envious of the one you have on your thread….

Edited by Citadel
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/03/2022 at 22:42, Citadel said:

In terms of prototype think 7’ 6” 22 spoke but stand to be corrected.  Any solutions out there?

Find David Lane (David Big Cheeseplant on both RMweb and Scalefour Society Forum).  He may well be able to print some for you as he has constructed a program that can generate all wheel types.

They come out 3D printed and you will need to get a tyre from Alan Gibson.

1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Find David Lane (David Big Cheeseplant on both RMweb and Scalefour Society Forum).  He may well be able to print some for you as he has constructed a program that can generate all wheel types.

They come out 3D printed and you will need to get a tyre from Alan Gibson.

Hi, I did ask him about this a while ago and he said that he had too much on. He has quite a nice project on. 

John 

Many thanks for the suggestions.  John Redrup at LRM has been really helpful as well.  Firstly now realise that despite being called a ‘7 ft 6 in Single’ the wheels were actually 7 ft 9 in (read the article on the LNWR Society website explaining the background to this).  Bought the kit (woo hoo) and have ordered both the 8ft (with crank pin) and the 7 ft 6 inch plain (will experiment - given that it’s a single driver think I have a fighting chance of retrofitting a crank pin like you have Coal Tank).  What could possibly go wrong….

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Coal Tank, just saw your recent comment.  Agree, think I’m better to go smaller.  The Ted Talbot note on the LNWR website about ‘nominal wheel diameter’ doesn’t define exactly at what level of wear it would be replaced but does imply that it would be considerably less than the starting diameter as you say.  The 8ft wheel with the crank is just a sort of insurance policy in case my ham fistedness means it’s necessary….

Once again thanks for everybody's help.  Lord knows I’m going to start needing it in about three weeks time when I start trying to get a loco to work!

John,

wheels could be up to 3" less in diameter when the tyres were turned down,

Mike, 

the splashers weren't designed significantly oversized so 8' wheels with OO/EM flanges might foul them.

The crankpins have only to "drive" the connecting  rod/crosshead/piston rod assembly so I would expect gluing the crankpin in with a good epoxy would be satisfactory but the plastic wheel would have to be "roughened up" to provide a  good key.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Jol Thank you for that, that means that the 7ft 6 wheel is ok to use. 

Mike when I fitted the crank pin I drilled a small Hole in between the spokesbefore thread ing the screw in, the Hole was smaller than the screw but it made fittings the screw much easier. The kit isnt too bad to make, im not that good at building engines but I am pleased with it so far. If you do mess something up John is good at supply ing extra etches. 

John 

Edited by Coal Tank

OK, rather than hatching plans thought I needed to get stuck in and complete some of the part finished jobs.  Still a bit of a work in progress - sense this is a bit of a 'grounded body special'.

Firstly the 14' 6" horse box - my first piece of scratch building in plasticard.  Usual steep learning curve - now I realise when you laminate multiple layers then leave on your workbench by the next morning it will be like a banana.  The really good thing about this horsebox is that it's genuinely 14' 6" long, read the article about the furore about the Microrail kit and how it ended up at 14' 3" (not that I'm sure anyone will ever really notice the difference).  The bad thing is that the lettering is probably the wrong style but hey ho...   Penlan, there seems to be a sort of stay on the non groom end for the foldy down door - can part see it in your model.  Can't really work out how it functions - if I squint at Plate 103 in LNWR Miscellany Vol 2 can just about make it out as a straight diagonal bar down to about buffer beam height but before I make something up any advice welcome(!)

2143899921_HorseBox14ft6in.jpg.2a865b0c79db8ab275e1c9f6518c7651.jpg

Now for some carriages (all from LRM kits.  Firstly the D297 5 Comp Third.  As mentioned in earlier post there were over 800 so pity the poor s*d who had to make all those door handles - just one carriage did my head in.  Now for compartments, glazing, roof, seats, passengers....  Just when I thought it was nearly finished.  Probably wouldn't have ever made it to Carlisle (originally was going to 'pretend' it was WCJS from the 1870's and fit oil lamps etc. but my conscience has now got the better of me so just building it as per the prototype)

D297.jpg.59ec9aa4c9cc3595302fbec707bfe60b.jpg

Next up a D425 Parcel Van.  Wanted to do it as a Palethorpe's Sausage version but then realised the lettering was going to be a real struggle.  Interesting prototype though (and no windows so guess which one will be the first one I'll complete.... 

D425.jpg.39d82293bada11896304215f8c76f79d.jpg

D385 (I think) brake van.  There are only two sets of the block L&NWR on an HMRS sheet and I seem to be addicted to brakes and parcel vans, need to wean myself off them....  This is the new set of HMRS transfers - the crests... hmmm....  Have to say though I'm really grateful for all the hard work they put in to secure a continued supply and it's nothing I can't fix with a couple of blobs of white/red from a Rotring so all good from my perspective.

D385.jpg.435172fcf2379672157b2c7aa686f97a.jpg

Then the D85 Picnic Saloon.  Mrs Galloway is very excited about the trip to Preston and she's already ordered a stuffed pigs head from the butcher - she's just a bit anxious about whether there will be any wheels and roof fitted before their trip... and a window for the lavatory...

D85.jpg.3ef3276475008c761c75d4b46229c8a1.jpg

But most importantly I now have this sitting on my bench.  Think I'll finish a few other things so just had a quick peek in the box then closed it again.  Also need to wait for the wheels, motor, gearbox etc.  And suspect I might have forgotten to get some horn blocks - can't imagine the logistics involved on the part of a kit provider dealing with all those subcontractors and suppliers - hats off to them given current circumstances....

Lady.jpg.e69d89d12f7a14041c9e3317592ce3a0.jpg

Horse Box 14ft 6 in.jpg

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work once again Sir!

Brake and parcels vans are strangely fascinating, aren't they? I think it's the combination of the off-limits / non-public / almost departmental nature of them and the idea of all the exciting contents (toys / food / drink / name your luxury)...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Citadel said:

Penlan, there seems to be a sort of stay on the non groom end for the foldy down door - can part see it in your model.  Can't really work out how it functions - if I squint at Plate 103 in LNWR Miscellany Vol 2 can just about make it out as a straight diagonal bar down to about buffer beam height but before I make something up any advice welcome(!)

Unfortunately I no longer have that Horsebox, but if this view helps?  Then something has been achieved :rolleyes:
The bit you might be able to see on the non-Grooms end is the rodding to help lift the top flap UPWARDS when the lower part is lowered - The upper part of the horsebox itself is hinged along the top, there's no side hung doors, once this is understood, simples????
From an engineering point of view in terms of weights etc., then fortunately I have not needed to 'open' the door(s) of a 1:1 scale Horsebox, if one still existed.
What I didn't have on the roof of my model are the two hand grips at the Grooms end of the roof, clearly seen in 2 photo's (of the Grooms end of the Horsebox) at https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-08-railway-centre-crewe 
I'm sure somebody will come along soon with a better answer. 

There is an article on the remains of one of these horseboxes described in Vol 1, No 10 of the Society's Journal.  The Society's Webb site also shows a completed model of a Horsebox at   http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmcarriages?display_base_mod_photo=4cmirmrhb01  with end steps at the Grooms end and handrails up to the two grab handles on the roof, my model didn't, probably because the NRM photo's don't show end steps and handrails either, though agreed there are hand grabs on the Grooms roof end.
Tangled webbs come to mind.

LNWR Horse Box #2.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Penlan, once again many thanks for taking the time to respond.  Can kind of get my head around how that arrangement might work so that’s now the plan.  Hand grips on the roof at the grooms end but no steps (am sure every respectable Victorian lamp technician had a ladder handy).

The David Heys website is a good read, could lose myself in there for hours.  Had never come across it before

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2022 at 20:07, Citadel said:

D425 Parcels Van completed.  Chas, am trying to channel the 'combination of the off-limits / non-public / almost departmental nature of them and the idea of all the exciting contents (toys / food / drink / name your luxury)...'    Maybe my Alan Gibson wheels are in it....

1123487316_d4252.jpg.72f66423161824597f752d72935d7fd8.jpg

And very lovely it looks too Mike! Glad to hear you're channeling my 'neo-departmental/concealed toys' parcel van motivation :D.

Is the lettering a trnsfer or painted - if the latter, very nicely done!!

• Thanks 1

Good to be back - pleased I only had a couple of months worth of photos to restore and fortunately they were still cluttering up my desktop.  Did give me time to finish the D385 Brake Van (but still need to tart up the crests a little bit)

877272130_30ftBrake2.jpg.494e220f4655fa7d333372046b770fbb.jpg

944645833_30ftBrake1.jpg.6dc29f67e17e849dea6032591c038364.jpg

Finally thought I'd better learn a bit of theory in preparation for the Lady, bought a couple of second hand Iain Rice books - very engaging read.  Spent the last few days experiencing the joys of 145 deg solder and Phosphoric Acid flux - why did I persevere so long with that dodgy roll of rosin cored stuff I inherited from the plumber...  Am sure most of the folks reading this will be having a good giggle at my expense - certainly have a lot to learn!

Chas, the lettering in the earlier post is from the new HMRS transfer sheet but there was a more black than yellow so looked a little wrong - hence the blobs of yellow Rotring ink to try and rectify.  I do not have the talent to do things like that from scratch (and hats off to those who do).

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2022 at 22:52, Citadel said:

Chas, the lettering in the earlier post is from the new HMRS transfer sheet but there was a more black than yellow so looked a little wrong - hence the blobs of yellow Rotring ink to try and rectify.  I do not have the talent to do things like that from scratch (and hats off to those who do).

Ah, right, thank you - your modifications are definitely an improvement. The HMRS sheets can be a little variable, as more than one person (including myself) has found...

Edited by Chas Levin

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2022 at 16:49, Citadel said:

713156936_d2971.jpg.eeb272fbe77c0d7718005745616530f6.jpg

Plenty of practice at making seatbacks out of modelling clay - need to investigate resin casting.  Here's a couple of pictures of the completed carriage:

Not really sure what the Victorians took on a day out but I just really fancy  stuffed pigs head as the centrepiece.  Again, not really sure it will be that obvious from the outside but I'll know it's there!

Ooh - loving those button tufted seats Mike! Lovely carriage generally in fact.

And you can't beat a stuffed pig's head... 😋

• Like 1

• Citadel changed the title to Early LNWR Stock - Making a bit of a pig's ear of it....