Carlisle Citadel in Late Victorian Times

• RMweb Gold

Looks to be a great idea.  There are so many things to do though, have you thought about your approach?

Have a scatter approach and try and mug up on everything at once and build things randomly.  You will not get bored like that, but you might get a bit frustrated as nothing will be finished until the end.

Mug up on the LNWR and build a train or two, with or without a loco, and then move onto the next company and do the same?  If that becomes boring you can go back and do a coach/wagon or two from the LNWR for variety.  The further you get on the more you can go back to previous things for variety.

When will you do the baseboard, and will you get frustrated if it is not running?  Getting it made and the track down and things working does not mean that it has to be ballasted and fully scienic'd, adding another level of diversity of interest.  My layout is built but I do not have running sessions, except with the grand children, when modelling time is short.

Finally, may I suggest that you put links in your signature to your different threads, that way when someone finds one of them, they can find the others easily as well.

• Like 4

Thanks Chris

Sound advice and really appreciate your comments!  Do like to have a grand plan but as you say, one small step at a time....   Do realise it’s going to take 20 years....

To be honest my real passion is the satisfaction gained from building things (and to an extent this is only realised when they are completed - but in my world this can be something as discrete as an individual carriage).  Also the social history side of railways and the Victorian period in general.  Carlisle for me is so fascinating, I live 40 miles up the road in Moffat and catch the train from there regularly (well, prior to the crazy times we’ve lived through for the past two years).  What an amazing experience it would be to stand on that platform in the 19th century - essentially the fabric of the station is largely unchanged.

My initial focus is to improve my kit building and then scratch building skills and then move on to a locomotives (and the fettling involved).  To be honest though quite like the scope Carlisle gives me to not limit this to the LNWR - any completed loco or carriage is a source of satisfaction to me and variety is the spice of life.  

Based on your comments think will start with small. test track (so no scenery/ballast etc. - just to iron out the bugs in the models I make.  My real focus initially will be on building the stock.

But I am fed up with photographing my models against a piece of white card so maybe will start with a diorama (No 1/2 bay from Platform 3 appeals) 

Watch this space, it’s (hopefully) going to be an interesting ride...  Once again many thanks for comments, it's helped me understand better the way forward.

Best Regards

Mike

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned in the Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding thread going to try and move the more prototype related questions over here.  For starters a Maryport & Carlisle question - well, maybe teak bodied panelling style in general.  

For a bit of variety started on a rake of M&C six wheelers - when it came to the bodies though started to get a bit confused as to how the panelling was layered up based on some drawings that  @SteamAle kindly shared: 

1257982114_MCD11BrakeThird-1.jpg.c31022d2cbe0e4d198bb97d07ceca0b4.jpg

Looks like there is a bolection type moulding around the panels saying 'Third' which carries on vertically up to the roofline.  Also a similar horizontal bar above the windows.  Is that also a narrow bolection moulding around the fixed windows themselves?

Most importantly though what plane does the panel saying 'Third' sit in, also the panel above this between the windows?  Is it essentially in the same plane as the beading on the door (so effectively proud of the lower body panels)?

If so can see how I might get the etch to work - if not my peanut sized brain is a bit stumped(!)

Edited by Citadel
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Sorry, these are images of the last remaining M&CR coach. Taken at Chasewater Valley Railway. Copyright Ron Allison.

Last we heard coach was in need of major restoration, again, having stood outside for many years without regular attention.

Edited by SteamAle
added line
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Really useful, many thanks for the photos - it all now makes sense.  The window frames a bit of a surprise, a groove rather than a raised bolection.  LNWR livery might be relatively complex but the panel treatment a lot easier….  

Christmas project ahoy 🙂

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 1

Happy to be of help. You mention the word 'etch' in one post. Are you intending to get brass etches made? If yes there may be either, help with funding to make them available to the few of us that model M&CR or, it could cover full cost of films and etches if that route may suit you better.

Perhaps discuss offline?

• Like 3

That's the plan - the underframe is to the right of the test etch below.  I'm new to this but experience with the radial underframe I did recently is that the first attempt has a few unintended issues which only become apparent during the test build.  Just drawing up the body at the moment, if it works out happy to put them both on the same sheet and make it available to anyone who might be interested.  At this stage the money side is OK, it's more the help and advice that is priceless 🙂 

1783116022_MR12WheelUnderframe.jpg.6837b1fba6d9d5a9fb43c2ce91a9c154.jpg

• Like 4

Well, it's a long term dream but to be honest have a lot to learn.  Can cope with square boxes (so basically a carriage) but anything where one curve joins another is definitely beyond me at the moment.  Here's the current state of play on the M&C D11 Brake Third - bit of a fuzzy screen grab from the Mac:

2049025787_MCD11Brake.jpg.2b61e9069d0dfcd7277661868d39c0ab.jpg

The photos shared above really helped me get my head round the panelling.  There's an additional overlay for the areas with the holes below the fixed lights - needed the extra layer to get the raised bolection.  Above this still need raised beading up the sides of the panel and across the top of the fixed lights - etched a groove and was planning to insert 0.3mm brass wire to give the appropriate relief - bit of a faff but couldn't really work out another way:

1727456622_MCD11Brake2.jpg.c2c073612594d3f9ae65b9bced64a415.jpg

Please point out anything that looks wrong - just a drawing on the Mac at this stage so easy to change.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Trying to distract myself from lining the latest batch of LNWR carriages so turned to Illustrator and drew up another M&C carriage - D9 4 Compartment Composite

1845958645_MCD9Composite.jpg.058dd56e8c1b14c4170627db665b941b.jpg 

A question about the lower panel, when I look at the excellent Mike Peascod drawing kindly shared by @SteamAle can see the waistline panels have a bolection moulding around them (handled this in the same way as the D11 above) but then had a bit of a wobble about how to treat the lower panel....

1751109527_MCD9Detail.jpg.8151b27409932ec5593f47a7b89d3ffd.jpg

On the photos of the Chasewater Valley carriage the lower below the waistline panel is inset (so instinctively half etched from the front in Illustrator - red on the drawing above).  That said on the drawing above there's no evidence of this and the lower panel appears flush with the raised mouldings above the waistline.  But then there's something funny goes on re: the door outlines....

Any advice appreciated - once I've got the etches back and done a test build more than happy to offer them to anyone else who is interested so may as well try to get this right.

Do love the arched tops to the windows/panelling - really adds character.  Now eyeing up the five compartment third.

• Like 2

I have always liked this design with the arched tops, but like you, I’ve have always puzzled over this drawing.

It does appear that the top bead layer and the bottom are a complete panel with the waist panels inset.  I always assumed the normal beading patterns were necessary to cover gaps of smaller individual panels. Did mid-Victorians have technology to laminate large panels?

The wider angled gap around lower door coincides with where panel (tumblehome?) curves. If the bottom panel was thicker (eg stuck out further) would you need a bigger gap to open/close door?

Sorry not much help but I’m equally confused.

Aidan

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Citadel said:

Trying to distract myself from lining the latest batch of LNWR carriages so turned to Illustrator and drew up another M&C carriage - D9 4 Compartment Composite

1845958645_MCD9Composite.jpg.058dd56e8c1b14c4170627db665b941b.jpg 

A question about the lower panel, when I look at the excellent Mike Peascod drawing kindly shared by @SteamAle can see the waistline panels have a bolection moulding around them (handled this in the same way as the D11 above) but then had a bit of a wobble about how to treat the lower panel....

1751109527_MCD9Detail.jpg.8151b27409932ec5593f47a7b89d3ffd.jpg

On the photos of the Chasewater Valley carriage the lower below the waistline panel is inset (so instinctively half etched from the front in Illustrator - red on the drawing above).  That said on the drawing above there's no evidence of this and the lower panel appears flush with the raised mouldings above the waistline.  But then there's something funny goes on re: the door outlines....

Any advice appreciated - once I've got the etches back and done a test build more than happy to offer them to anyone else who is interested so may as well try to get this right.

Do love the arched tops to the windows/panelling - really adds character.  Now eyeing up the five compartment third.

I like this style!

You want the waist panels to be flush with the moulding on the upper body and for the waist beading to stand proud of that. I think that is what your etch plan achieves. Perhaps you could simply maintain the depth of the upper body on the waist, stepping down to the lower sides. Then you just need to solder on the beading. Is there a technical reason why you could not do it this way?  

A picture paints a thousand words ....

1394883142_GER6-WheelFirstClassSmokingCarriageof1863(Mid-Suffolk)02-Copy.jpg.27226df7386ae75b99c50ba2fb78062d.jpg 

642900453_LSWR4-WheelCoaches(7)-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG.03f51a16937caf84363ecd8c71b53ade.JPG

The picture shows generally how it was done at the period. The rounded section, right-angled waist beading sits on the surface, the panel it contains is neither recessed nor proud of the surrounding coach side. This steps down below the beading to the lower coach sides.  

Body19-001_B.jpg.45132db05b493bf288e1ff488d8d24f9.jpg

Now, looking at the picture you posted, it seems, as I would expect, that the LNWR examples follow the same practice. You can see where the side steps down, here closer to the beading than on the GER and LSWR examples I posted, which is probably why it doesn't show up on the drawing.

356078848_MCcd6.jpg.-Copy.jpg.9a94b8522797f46db8c2e573c5336ada.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 hours ago, Edwardian said:

You want the waist panels to be flush with the moulding on the upper body and for the waist beading to stand proud of that. I think that is what your etch plan achieves. Perhaps you could simply maintain the depth of the upper body on the waist, stepping down to the lower sides. Then you just need to solder on the beading. Is there a technical reason why you could not do it this way?  

Many thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated.  Unless I hear differently then will stick with the plan above. The panels below the windows are effectively a half etched pocket to accept the rectangular overlays.  Hopefully will result in the centre of the panel being flush with the moulding above with a raised bolection around it.

To be honest was a bit wary about making the lower panel full thickness as my tumblehome forming abilities aren’t quite as fully developed as some and suspect I would have struggled to keep the half etched panels above flat (as effectively these would have been a lot weaker).

The 3D renders are superb, did toy with this idea but wouldn’t really know where to start.  Looking forward to seeing you models completed.

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

As mentioned over in the workbench thread it's about time I thought about starting the layout itself.  Conscious that there are already some great layouts featuring Carlisle station, in no way can I hope to aspire to their level and scale of modelling.  Objective here is a little different, seeking more a moving diorama taken from the perspective of someone inside the the station. Hopefully another element of differentiation is that this will be in glorious Victorian technicolour 🙂.  Letterbox slot type arrangement at the front of the scenic section using the insides of the roof and end screens as the scenic break.  Expect to have to raise the roof slightly and employ a little bit of forced perspective to allow access but to be honest the layout isn't particularly deep so fingers crossed - will build a rough mockup as a starting point.  

CitadelLayoutPlan1.jpg.633c5e4d0b896120bbdc3adddd5e284c.jpg

The back scene is the main station building and walls which are full roof height.  In the foreground will need to take a bit of artistic licence and omit some of the buildings on the island platform - both for access and scenic effect.  At the end of the day am after atmosphere more than absolute accuracy.  

The room I've lined out above the double garage is c. 8m x 4m and was hoping to build the layout along two of the walls - so essentially a scenic section between two fiddle yards.  Two key next steps:

o The length of the storage sidings will depend somewhat on the length of trains I run.  Need to do some research into the typical length of the mainline services during this period

o Need to get more detailed plans and elevation of the station as it was rebuilt in the 1880's - will try to follow up on this via the CRA.  Also will be interested in any timetables from the late Victorian period.

First though I need to fix the leaking shower cubicle to keep Mrs C on side!   

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 13

• Citadel changed the title to Carlisle Citadel in Late Victorian Times

Looks good and I very much like the concept looking into a moving diorama. You mentioned forced perspective and one possibility might be to model the NER and G&SWR stock in 3.5mm/ HO. If you did this, you could keep the lines into their respective bays separate from the through lines and the M&CR bay and use PECO's new finescale OO track in it's 'correct' role as HO track.

Edited by CKPR
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Had seen the York thread, it’s just an amazing project on so many levels.  There’s an almost sculptural quality to the way the roof has been rendered and the use of forced perspective is so effective.  That coupled with the technical side re: the etching and the CNC routed plywood, and haven’t even mentioned the trains themselves.  Oh, and all in 2mm finescale.

Certainly inspirational.  But need to manage expectations against my own ability as for sure I would fall short 🙀

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, SteamAle said:

Mike should wake up to an inbox with a few interesting files.

Well, Christmas has come early this year 🙂

Amongst the cornucopia of goodies the station plan after the reconstruction in the 1880's.  Need to double check my dimensions re: the track plan above but feels fairly consistent: 

CitadelPlan1881.jpg.e121dbe6bcf3c2198f788a94e2da484f.jpg

And the Station departures in November 1886:

CitadelDepartures1886.jpeg.5d4de877f38d0c565ff26b76be7979de.jpeg

Had better get stuck in!

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

17 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

This project might give you some inspiration.

Jim

Just to ensure credit where credit is due here’s what gave me the idea originally.  The link in the initial post on this thread has lost its photos but think they can be accessed here

https://paternosterrow.blogspot.com/2021/09/a-duchess-at-carlisle.html

The picture of the Cravens DMU is exactly the sort of atmosphere I was hoping to capture (though if I do it half as well will be more than happy).

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 4