Best of the best, so far?

Just been thinking.......Whilst I really do like A/S rolling stock, I still think that the  PFA is possibly the finest item so far that has been produced?  It just seems to be small and so perfectly formed with exquisite and beautiful detail.  Whilst I know a favourite is always a personal preferences - Would others agree? 

From a sales perspective, it's the only item that has had 3 production runs. 

Just looking at the HAAs and CDAs - I think perhaps these may be the challenger.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2022 at 12:42, Bishdurham said:

The demand for HAAs could be quite high!  

I just ordered 7 packs.😲

I just need to stop my mrs seeing the confirmation email on her phone.😏

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gary H said:

I just ordered 7 packs.😲

I just need to stop my mrs seeing the confirmation email on her phone.😏j

Just tell her it's one of those spam e-mail things, some silly sods from Ireland try to fleece you again.....(and probably again and again when their plans come to fruition!). It will also future proof you for future purchases a little!  

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Gary H said:

I just ordered 7 packs.😲

I just need to stop my mrs seeing the confirmation email on her phone.😏

The rakes I used to see in Sunderland were 36 wagons long, so you need another five packs!  

You may tell your Mrs I said so,  I am in Nova Scotia and can run fast! 😂

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2022 at 20:39, Bishdurham said:

The rakes I used to see in Sunderland were 36 wagons long, so you need another five packs! 

Of course to do it properly one would need one loaded train and one empty train.  72 wagons = 24 packs times £ .....  [fainting with  shock mode]  😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Of course to do it properly one would need one loaded train and one empty train.  72 wagons = 24 packs times £ .....  [fainting with  shock mode]  😉

Are you on Commission? 😄

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

You have my sympathy. However, it has long been the case that many model trains of prototypical length cost more than the locomotive which pulls them. I think what is different is that Accurascale makes it possible to buy a complete train with each wagon bearing its own running number and reflecting varying positions of logos and the like. In one way, it is a welcome development but in another it is expensive. I quite like the Dapol approach, where one can buy, say, four wagons and top up with re-runs. In the meantime, would it help a little to fit magnets under the loads so that they can be removed easily, thus halving the expense? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

You have my sympathy. However, it has long been the case that many model trains of prototypical length cost more than the locomotive which pulls them. I think what is different is that Accurascale makes it possible to buy a complete train with each wagon bearing its own running number and reflecting varying positions of logos and the like. In one way, it is a welcome development but in another it is expensive. I quite like the Dapol approach, where one can buy, say, four wagons and top up with re-runs. In the meantime, would it help a little to fit magnets under the loads so that they can be removed easily, thus halving the expense? 

Yes, but sometimes with the Dapol route there are slight changes in colour, like with the Yeoman Hoppers.  Also, if the product flops, then no more in your livery may be made for a good many years, if at all.  Bird in the hand, worth two in the bush, and all that.....

Think most people TBH pretty much want a rake there and then and budget accordingly.  Then move on to the next item on their wishlist.  Otherwise can end up with a good many half rakes that never get finished, if other things come out in-between.  Also, inflation proofs the purchase!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Graham108 said:

The KUA's are pretty impressive

Yes, they are very good, but personally I think they lack a little finesse.  Anchor points quite large, white handrails to give robustness during handling are understandably pretty thick.  PFA in contrast, just looks sooooooo finely detailed and perfect!

The PCA is the one from what I have screams "detail" the most. Not sure how accurate the details are having never being that close to the prototype but they are great wagons I think.

I have PFAs, KUAs, JSAs and HYAs and all are excellent IMO but I feel prototype wise probably the one that requires most detail too.

Edited by TomScrut

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The PCA is the one from what I have screams "detail" the most. Not sure how accurate the details are having never being that close to the prototype but they are great wagons I think.

I have KUAs, JSAs and HYAs and all are excellent IMO but I feel prototype wise probably the one that requires most detail too.

With regards to A/S wagons, there isn't a bad one among them, hence "best of the best". 

With the PFA I think the colourful containers (Yellow, Red, Green, Blue, White) for different commodities (Coal, Gypsum and Nuclear) and wide geographical  sphere also assists them.  Likewise everyone has favourite, which is great.....

The PCAs are absolutely lovely and a delight to look at, full of character with the etched ladders, piping etc..  Only thing they tend to fall down on in my view is the anchoring points being bent or broken (next to the buffers), and some walkway etches needing a little glue occasionally.  But they are a great little wagon, well ahead of every other PCA out there.  

19 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

With the PFA I think the colourful containers (Yellow, Red, Green, Blue, White) for different commodities (Coal, Gypsum and Nuclear) and wide geographical  sphere also assists them.  Likewise everyone has favourite, which is great.....

Good point and I do have PFAs which I forgot to list and have more on the way!