Another go but even smaller

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

A quick rummage through the 'roundtoit' drawer revealed a garden shed from Ancorton, not bad, just needed a few washes of Amish Grey and a new corrugated roof. It is destined to be attached to the rear of the boat repair workshop as an office/tool shed.

spacer.png

Here it is, just waiting for the Ultra Glue to harden before weathering the roof of office.

The odd strip between the rear wall of the workshop and the roof of the office is felt flashing.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

OK, the Ultra Glue has hardened and the roof of the office/tool shed has been weathered.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The odd blotchy weathering is inspired by a clapboard shed on the strand nearby in West Dorset, it seemed to be grey and the roof was always rusty with a layer of the beach blown onto it by the relentless wind. The shed next to it was totally different, it had been covered in pitch just shades of black and when hot, it smelt rather elemental. 

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

An apology, all the buildings for the diorama are now completed meanwhile Neil (the man with the dangerous jigsaw) is busy cutting out the mousehole, hopefully to be collected at Railwells.

In the meantime, a gratuitous image of one of the few ‘tatty’ wagons that will infest the diorama. I suppose that I could waste a few days ruining the new Hornby Terrier that arrived a couple of weeks ago……some MiG sun bleach wash is due to arrive today🥴.

spacer.png

Service will be resumed as soon as the board is here and the track is being laid.

Hopefully some kind and imaginative exhibition manager will note the effort and decide that it is worth sharing however I am not holding my breath. 

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Fun and frolics

Guest Jack Benson
10 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Love the look of this wagon.

It is a Smallbrook exLBSCR resin kit but on a Cambrian underframe+ Gibson wheels

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Sunday morning in the cool of the shed,

Selecting figures has been a bit pragmatic as there will be just one on the layout. It will be the stationmaster but not sure what constitutes a ‘typical’ Col. Stephens employee, presumably the gentleman in charge of the tiny station at the end of line. However insignificant, he would wear some type of uniform, possibly rather outdated.

spacer.png

This figure made for one of the FB group members and is rather appropriate, hopefully I will collect my example at Railwells.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

More junk, a pair of saw horses from those lovely folk at SMS, just the bees knees for supporting an upturned skiff whilst it is being repainted at the boat repair shed.

spacer.png

Some years ago, I bought the workshop fret from Severn Models, unfortunately lost it almost immediately until it emerged from down the side of the ‘roundtoit’ drawer where it was trying to hide. I am sure that will be some rather interesting details to be found and used on the fret……

StayFrosty

Guest Jack Benson

These winch castings from Unit Models are simply superb (and very reasonable priced).

spacer.png

They were used to haul the boats up onto the hard from the water

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

The coach was the guinea-pig for the MiG bleached sun wash, it was not successful and whilst it was still able, it was wiped off. What were MiG thinking, a yellow wash to replicate sun bleach?

In its place a wash of Lifecolor Frame Dirt let down with water+smidgin of IPO, any excess dabbed off with kitchen roll. The underframe looks much better, maybe a wash with very dilute acrylic  Amish Grey for the roof? 

Btw, I cannot fault the Hornby coach in any way, simply superb.

StayFrosty

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi, as mentioned elsewhere, another RMweb project has hit the buffers. This and the Antioch branch will be making their final appearance at an eBay near you.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
On 15/10/2022 at 15:06, hayfield said:

Jack

What's next ?

Hello John,

The micro will remain, the only item on offer is the spare loco.

All the other bits have been carefully squirrelled away for future use but the layout will continue to be used as a test/programming/photo plank. 

This image of the Ford Y just arrived from Adam C, it will be one of the only two vehicles on the layout, the other is a Ford 7V, ironically I am not a fan of Ford.

85DB9914-03C4-4456-A8FF-F15F5FDE838F.jpeg.ff5081efd329fc184f3c72d1a2ae272e.jpeg

Thanks, StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Maybe the demise of the micro was premature, after all, the track is down, the layout is functioning, maybe the nautical theme was wrong? In the junk box lies Tilly’s Auto repairs and I decided not to part company with four wagons maybe a completely different direction? 

Does anyone offer really good laser-cut brick arches, something with an urban theme.

StaySafe

11 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Maybe the demise of the micro was premature, after all, the track is down, the layout is functioning, maybe the nautical theme was wrong? In the junk box lies Tilly’s Auto repairs and I decided not to part company with four wagons maybe a completely different direction? 

Does anyone offer really good laser-cut brick arches, something with an urban theme.

StaySafe

Jack

Unless you have a total dislike of plastic, the Wills brick arches take a lot of beating and are very adaptable

https://peco-uk.com/products/brick-retaining-arches?_pos=1&_sid=a7fb92b73&_ss=r

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

LCut Creative do some good-looking arches, although I found their stuff a bit flimsy. Not laser-cut, but there's this which looks quite good.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

There has been some progress, the track is down and functioning, meanwhile a germ of an idea based on the line to Poole Quay. A couple of low relief buildings and two sidings, nothing more.

A rather quirky industrial workshop with attached shop. It is ideally suited to be a small ship’s chandlers.

Building will be a long drawn out affair as each component is both delicate and awkward but beautifully designed to fit precisely. Unfortunately, one piece at a time and then wait for the PVA to set. The buildings are from Fair Price.

spacer.png

There will be some necessary changes, the shopfront is too modern and the shop needs to be flush with the frontage of the warehouse.

spacer.png

Above is an alternate shop front from Fair Price. When finished, it will need a great deal of weathering in order to change that 'brand new' look using a thin wash of grime. The sketch is not necessarily final but it is about right, btw very grateful to Neil R.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Rather than a continuous stream, there will be only an occasional update as and when.

The Fair Price Models workshop with attached shop are progressing thanks to Neil, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the track as we have no rail joiners. 

spacer.png

The original shopfront has been replaced and it looks much better.

StaySafe

13 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Rather than a continuous stream, there will be only an occasional update as and when.

The Fair Price Models workshop with attached shop are progressing thanks to Neil, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the track as we have no rail joiners. 

spacer.png

The original shopfront has been replaced and it looks much better.

StaySafe

I have a few of their kits which are extremely good value

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 19:29, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

I forgot to add that the Brighton intruder has been replaced by something infinitely more familiar. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

How times have changed, fancy metal tables and chairs instead of cars parked at the bottom of the Customs House these days where they turned it into a Bistro and of course no rails down the road 

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

A little more progress to the shop and workshop, it will be a ship’s chandler, a maritime business rather appropriate to the port of Poole. 

spacer.png

There used to be a chandlers near to Poole customs house, it is the buildings with the rather ornate columns on the left. The original painting now hangs in our home, appropriately named Chandlers.

spacer.png