Another go but even smaller

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

I do not have a good track record building micros, too many false starts, unfortunately swmbo banned the last layout  from being set-up in the living room.
Try again but smaller, simpler - an SMS ‘layout in a box’ 40”x8.5” would fit in the dead space in the workshop.

A Inglenook based on Colin Peake’s iconic boxfile that is just 14”x10”, the extra length will hide the storage siding and a 3-way turnout. 

867D8E84-E1DB-431A-94A1-8051549ED713.jpeg.d2be1f20261347994e69d79d514b8d02.jpeg

That’s it, it will double as DCC test track photo diorama, maybe even exhibit it.

StaySafe 

Guest Jack Benson
4 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Jack look forward to seeing this build develope. Popcorn and chair at the ready. 😎

Do not hold your breath, currently two days a week on dialysis, the other five spent either recovering from or waiting for the first two.

Today’s achievement, glue everywhere but at least it is ready for the foamboard trackbed.

0CCF6B44-C71F-417A-86AD-311C9F9323A2.jpeg.9fdcab57e0e6d0189fb72dac42c614c9.jpeg

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailroadRich said:

After discovering the ScaleModelScenery range, they are my default micro baseboards. Great value for money! 

Yes I agree I to like scalemodelscenery baseboards.

Guest Jack Benson

Montrose Bag Company makes an 81ltr kit bag that will accommodate the SMSBO17 layout.  They also offer to ‘personalise’ the bag. I might invest in one for Chapel Row

Kevin, I did read your comments, thank you, it is much appreciated.

StaySafe

33165677-984E-49EF-A9CC-1C4E1D716122.jpeg.3c6f6d7a87729634723bcf7e1ab8765c.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Jack this layout build sounds great, nice pictures in the link you put up.

You definitely can't go wrong with a Hornby Peckett, lovely little engines. I'm looking forward to watching your layout build.

Guest Jack Benson

I think that this will be the last time that the baseboard will be in this position, the glued joint between the units is curing with the water bottle maintaining some pressure.

Boards2a800.jpg.3db7f93172d14f1a09da26184e390e05.jpg

When cured, some thought will be needed to connect the Peco SLE99 code 100 to the Peco code 75 track, the choice was utterly intentional as it saves 50mm over the SLE199 code 75 turnout.

75to100.jpg.c9bab8395e5e3751d79dd66ed0ccc034.jpg

This illustrated tutorial is excellent CLICK HERE , very grateful to those generous guys for sharing their ideas.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
missing S

On 22/04/2022 at 17:32, Jack Benson said:

Montrose Bag Company makes an 81ltr kit bag that will accommodate the SMSBO17 layout.  They also offer to ‘personalise’ the bag. I might invest in one for Chapel Row

Kevin, I did read your comments, thank you, it is much appreciated.

StaySafe

33165677-984E-49EF-A9CC-1C4E1D716122.jpeg.3c6f6d7a87729634723bcf7e1ab8765c.jpeg

Please forgive the observation, but I do not think an SMSBO17 layout will fit in this bag.

Whilst the bag capacity is stated to be 81 litres, and therefore greater than that of the 77 litre Really Useful Box in which the baseboard would fit, the shape is different.

https://www.montrosebag.com/product/offshore-kit-bag-large/

CP

Guest Jack Benson

All the glued joints have cured and the baseboard is on the Workmate ready for tracklaying. Its compact nature is intentional, a micro layout should be tiny, in reality a working diorama, just right for an old codger to shift around.  
StaySafe

7CBDC04B-2E03-4D09-B242-98C12BD828F3.jpeg.6b22b83d9a39f873a497455545fd2c98.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

This was the last Peckett that I owned, being rather stupid I sold it as it did not fit into the big ‘scheme’, six months later,  I own another Peckett that will need repainting and this time, upgrading with a Zimo + tantalums. 

The loco will merely trundle backwards and forwards, no serious attempting at shunting.

StaySafe

847621D7-39B9-4E18-B3FE-CAF210B44B45.jpeg.1a6d2e7ea4f1db7b8f7e149333747644.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

A postscript,

a fellow FB group member posted a link to Chrisinden who offers all the cardboard bits needed for this rather extensive kit from Scalescenes. It is not very cheap but saves a huge amount of faff (essential for me) and a kit has been ordered.

StaySafe

You will not regret it, I have used a few of the Chrisinden offerings when I can’t be bothered to do all the cutting out, and they are excellent. One tip, just print out one sheet first to make sure the scaling is right between your printer and Chris’ parts. 

Good luck with your build. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Just finished brekkie to find an email offer for 20% discount from Scalescenes, thank you very much.

A big blue industrial boxfile and window pack took me over the £10 threshold and that will do very nicely indeed.

Jack,

Unless you've already ordered you may need to be careful - I saw this email offer but the one I received specifically excludes Scaleglaze windows, and as the boxfile layouts by themselves only cost £9.99 then there may not be any discount applied.

Unless perhaps a 'bundle' of boxfile-layout-plus-windows will give you a discount on the whole order rather than just the Scalescenes kit...?

Anyway, I've included a screen snip of the email below.

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. here's the snip with "excludes Scaleglaze windows":

scalescenes offer.jpg

Edited by Porfuera

4 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Neil,

I only bought the download and the windows, the discount was applied despite the fact that download was less than the £10 minimum. 
Thank you

Hi Jack,

That's good to know, cheers. I was thinking of buying the other Scalescenes boxfile so I'm temped to give it a try...!

Thanks,

Neil.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

In addition, I have the added fun of installing a MX616 with two tantalums.........luckily I found a blow-by-blow account with lots of piccys of digitising a Ruston.

StaySafe

If that is online, could you post a link please?

Thanks,

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Well that ended badly.

A recent diagnosis following a series of recent falls means that I cannot go out without a carer so no point in building a diorama for exhibiting instead it will become a test/programming micro-plank.

However as I am led out to the workshop twice a day, I can continue with Beaminster Road but I need to recognise the limitations of not giving up. Maybe build yet another wagon kit each month?

All the recently acquired bits will find their way to other folks in time there is not much, just a few bits of track and some nice buildings.

Stay Safe

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

Sorry not to have updated this thread, other things got in the way.

Now, the laser-cut card internal pack has arrived and the ‘mojo’ is slowly returning, there are two lengths of Peco Code 75 BH and absolutely no idea of a track plan, maybe just one turnout for a bit of variety in movement?

As soon the current West Country cottage  is complete, then the industrial gubbins can start using the SMS baseboard.

BFFAC324-C5CC-4DAA-8FAE-3B1DD62071B5.thumb.jpeg.bc1fd9ce50374df4172f04f1cfb9a765.jpeg

Maybe this image will provide some much needed inspiration?

StaySafe

13 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

The Scalescenes Industrial Boxfile is the basis for this simple project, just 245mm deep and 375mm long, the additional length of the SMS module will be used for another Scalescenes kit and a very simple hidden siding and turnout. Please look at the image on the first page on this thread from David Crouchman of his excellent adaptation of the same kit using the same (or similar) SMS module. Other considerations are portability and storage when out of use, I use the RUB 77ltr container as it is sealed against damp/dust and creepy crawlies.

StaySafe

71BE9ED4-4F37-40ED-8ED3-ACAAF8EBFB0C.jpeg.0752fe9aacb7170b020159dc4a03b0cb.jpeg

Brilliant thankyou