Blender help,

Blender is somewhat idiosyncratic. I've never managed to get my head around it. Perhaps if you provided a photo of what you're trying to model (I'm not a train spotter so have no idea what a roof cowl on a Class 31 looks like) then we might be able to suggest an alternate CAM package to use and some pointers on how to model your roof cowl.

Blender is defo not for the faint hearted and I don't think it is the right program for making this item.

SketchUp make is a free cad program which like all cad programs is a steep learning curve but you can design most thing with it.

If you check out my YouTube channel nearly everything is designed in SketchUp. There is some tutorials on making buildings which will give an insight in SketchUp.

Vid on how I design Locos

Eddy

What Eddy said!

Ive done time on both Blender and SketchUp and of the two I wouldn't choose Blender to create the cowling. SketchUp 2017 is free and a lot easier to get started in, barring some idiosyncracies like it doesn't like working in sub mm dimensions, but easily worked around.

There are also free or low cost  extensions available to add to the baseline capabilities, if you are intending to create a physical item using a 3d printer you will need to add the STL exporter add on for example.

Like Eddy also said, SketchUp can be immensely powerful once you know which buttons to push, for instance  here's a link to a model of Mudgee station in NSW that I've done entirely in SketchUp 2017, as are the vehicles.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171492-mudgee-station-nsw-scratchbuilt-from-noughts-and-ones

Edited by monkeysarefun