DJH BR 2-6-4T Rebuild

I have just obtained a partially complete and damaged version of  the above kit and I am starting to gather parts for a rebuild. Does anyone have the instructions that they could copy for me ? I think that I know what is missing but the instructions and parts list would be useful.  

Barry

Edited by Pierview
update

Absolutely no response so I guess that this is not a very popular kit!  However DJH kindly e-mailed the instructions so I am now gathering the parts necessary to get the rebuild under way. Further details will follow at a later date.

Barry

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, only just seen this thread. I have a copy but it looks like your now set up. PM me if you need any info on the kit. It was my first DJH kit back in the early nineties. You will need to add a lot more detail below the running plate, unless they have updated the kit, as there was no below footplate pipe work on the fireman’s side. 
cannot remember what I used now, it may have been a Crownline detailing part.

I can post a picture next week if you want to see my effort.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I saw this request over the weekend and meant to respond. I have a kit and was was going to dig it out, copy the instructions and pm you. Unfortunately everyone in my household is Covid +ve and I got distracted by them. If you want photos of the kit bags/pouches I can do that.

kind regards,

Iain 

Edited by Iain.d
Add a bit

Thanks for your offers of help chaps  and forgive my earlier impatience! Having had a look at the instructions I think that I can source or make the parts that are missing or need adding. I have already obtained some Comet BR standard fittings from Wizard Models and the wheels and motor are also on order. It won't be a cheap exercise but it could be interesting. I did a similar rebuild on a wrecked DJH 84xxx some years ago and I was very pleased with the result. To make it worthwhile though you have to get the damaged kit at a cheap enough price.  Finally, I hope that your household is soon Covid free, Ian. 

Barry 

Edited by Pierview
  • Thanks 1

• Pierview changed the title to DJH BR 2-6-4T Rebuild

It's funny how one's modelling priorities can be changed by a chance purchase. Two months ago I had no thoughts whatsoever of acquiring another BR class 4MT 2-6-4T and was quite content with my ancient but re-wheeled and detailed Hornby-Dublo model. I then spotted the following on that well known auction site. In consequence I am now beavering away on a rebuild which for some inexplicable reason has jumped to the front of  my modelling queue!

362254936_(224)2022-05BRclass4asacquired.jpg.7624e974149147c7a600cafa7689fe5c.jpg 

It was a fairly well made DJH kit albeit minus wheels motor and a few other small details and painted in an attractive but spurious BR green livery. I could see the potential of the model ,and my bid saw me obtain it at the starting price, which ,in all honesty, was the maximum I was prepared to pay bearing in mind the work required. I have always liked DJH kits and a few years ago successfully resuscitated a BR 84xxx which was a basket case when I

acquired it. I find that it is extremely satisfying to undertake such rescue projects and it is probably the reason that I find the Repair Shop good TV viewing. 

My first job was to dismantle the chassis. I didn't like the cut outs in the frames which were designed for an earlier  generation of motors so I soldered in triangular fillets cut from scrap brass.

thumbnail_IMG_2114.jpg.c4d9069beedf5fdf32f5214b7eecdf06.jpg  

The DJH white metal brake shoes were missing so I decided to fit etched ones, and drilled the frames for the support wires, which were soldered in.

thumbnail_IMG_2115.jpg.509c82f24f60eb3af9d6cb8642400a44.jpg

Now on to fitting the wheels and motor.

Barry

• Like 10

The earlier work described was actually done a couple of weeks ago and in the meantime I have moved on with both chassis and loco body. The chassis has now been wheeled with Markits drivers and  a Mashima 1428 motor with a 45:1 HL Hiflier gear box added.  The cylinders and valve gear were  slightly twisted but perfectly salvageable  with a bit of remedial attention. Because I didn't have to assemble the valve gear from individual components the unit went back together into the chassis surprisingly quickly and the next thing to consider is the pick up assembly and brake gear. 

618402651_thumbnail_IMG_2140(1).jpg.cc3f1a4edacaca1a60ac082a4e87798e.jpg 

Whilst I was waiting for the wheels to arrive I turned my attentions to the body. The Dettol bath struggled to remove all the thick paintwork and needed a bit of help but i got there in the end. I did not dismantle the entire body but the boiler and smokebox unit was not aligned properly so I eased it away and re- glued it in the correct position. I renewed all the hand rails and had to make replacement firebox top pipework as the original was missing. The cab roof sliding doors were also missing and replacements were cut from scrap brass. I fashioned a replacement tank vent on the LH side as the original survived but then got lost. The sand pots were missing and I found replacements in my spares box .The bunker rear was completely bare  and needed detailing with lamp brackets, steps  and hand rails. By the time I had drilled holes for all of these the bunker back was resembling a colander! I also fitted lamp brackets to the front of the loco and added a turned brass smokebox door handle to replace the cast original. Finally the cast chimney, which looked nothing like a class 4 type,  was replaced by a Markits example. The remaining work will be the steps, injector assembly and under tank pipework. The original steps were missing and I will be using Comet etched replacements. As these are very vulnerable they will not be fitted until late in the re-construction.

thumbnail_IMG_2144.jpg.43b55687f9a5462b679a00b363f4d518.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2146.jpg.d26504ee699b5f6c7505b839c636161d.jpg

Now to get the chassis finished!

Barry

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rebuild project has swallowed up many hours over the last week or so  but I have

reached the stage where a trip to the paint shop is imminent.  The chassis has been completed and now runs quite nicely. Because no splashers are present on this locomotive I opted for top of frames pick ups, bearing directly on to the tyres. It was good not to have to dodge springs and brake gear which is often the problem with under chassis pick up arrangements. Unusually for me  the chassis worked first time, which was a pleasant bonus! Brake shoes and rods are from the Mainly Trains etchings and whilst I didn't have any BR pattern shoes I found a fairly good likeness on the MT  Southern sheet.  The already assembled  front pony and rear bogie trucks were cleaned up , fitted with Markits wheels, and secured to the chassis. As I had a spare flywheel to hand I fitted it to the motor as there was just room to squeeze it into the firebox. 

thumbnail_IMG_2158.jpg.87065749ab131b107296bb3d7ec7447b.jpg

The body has received quite  bit more attention to fit missing and extra details. The steps came from the Comet sheet  and are very good, although a little flimsy. The under tank piping and LH side injector assembly were cobbled together from 30 amp fuse wire and old white metal castings, whilst the triangular tank lifting plates were made from scrap NS sheet. Brass safety valves and whistle are to hand but will not be fitted until the body has been sprayed. Annoyingly, the cab back head was missing from the loco as acquired and I therefore fitted a Craftsman casting for a "Lord Nelson", which was the only belpaire type I had to hand. I am not too worried about this as very little will be seen when the cab roof is in place and the general impression is there. Incidentally, the cab roof  has only been placed in position for  the photographs and will be permanently fixed at a later stage.

thumbnail_IMG_2159.jpg.b08fd59498b69ba025a7c1c4011ff7c9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2160.jpg.3102562ffcc1e23f75f04cf9c600a7f8.jpg

A short break now before the process of painting and finishing.

Barry 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking good.   Is it the camera angle or is the loco running plate high at the front above the cylinders?   The H/D model tends to sit low at the back high at the front and I had to attack mine with a coarse file to level it up.

Well spotted DCB! The body was only placed on the chassis for photography but I agree that the front appears high, and I also remember that my HD model displayed the same characteristics. Anyway, I have today followed your lead and taken a big file to the model. I think that I have levelled it up a tad and certainly the front buffers now appear to be closer to their correct height. I find that it is often difficult in getting a pre-assembled model to conform and I should really have followed my usual practice in dismantling completely. It's had a good wash this evening, so now on to the paint shop!

Barry  

thumbnail_IMG_2162.jpg.a7374f7948c378299358f4ec2537ca82.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After a concerted effort over the last week or so I have completed the rebuild of the 2-6-4T. The remaining small parts have now been fitted together with final detailing.  The  lining transfers are a mixture of Modelmaster and Fox, whilst the numbers come from the PC sheet kindly donated to me by Enterprising Western (Mike) to replace my depleted supply. As acquired the kit was numbered 80015, and as this was a Southern /region engine, and one that I saw, I decided that it should keep its identity, although with the correct livery this time! 

thumbnail_IMG_2166.jpg.65e811253462d7efbaf61680f5166e4f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2168.jpg.32b4ce132ef6a6cd4b472e5c3d3950ae.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2171.jpg.c6d76cc50878ec3ee62650f6610c45fd.jpg

Before and after views! I think this rebuild has been rather like a Barry Scrapyard restoration, and I reckon that the cost of the project roughly equates to the price of a new Bachmann class 4. As the latter model has better detail and no doubt runs smoother it could be argued that the exercise was a bit pointless! I knew what I was getting myself into when I started the project , however, and the exercise to turn a wreck into a useful member of my stud has been great fun. I am an admirer of modern r-t-r models, which I buy fairly often, but I don't want to become just a collector. From a personal point of view  I think it important to do some real modelling from time to time in order to practice those skills learned over many years.

976572634_(224)2022-05BRclass4asacquired.jpg.8febbdace07290de40823af6cc9a9c0e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2166.jpg.65e811253462d7efbaf61680f5166e4f.jpg

It's now time for the summer modelling recess now before I turn my attention to building the Bec LSWR D15 kit that I purchased last year.

Barry 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

Tim

Many thanks for the images and  gen on the  D15 class. They had all gone before I began spotting but I have always liked the look of them and have intended to make a model for a long time. The photos in particular will be extremely useful. More news after the summer when I get construction under way!

Barry