With Yelverton almost finished, and Diddington being a long term project, I’ve started work on a new layout. Set in the Forest of Dean circa 1962, it will be called “Lydbrook Dean”. It will be set on the former Severn and Wye line, and Ben Ashworth’s book “BR Steam in Dean” has given much inspiration, as has a short stay in the forest.

The layout will be 00 gauge, Peco Bullhead track with copper clad points. It will be DC, with the points controlled by Cobalt motors. Motive power will be various types of pannier, mainly Bachmann. Freight stock will be from various sources. I’m going to try Sprat and Winkle couplings instead of my usual DG, as I am finding the DG couplings too sensitive for exhibition use.

I’ve learned a lot from exhibiting Upwell Drove and Yelverton, and the lessons will be incorporated in the new layout. The overall size will be 8’ by 2’, and the folded layout will fit on the back seat of the car. The height of the folded layout will give unobstructed visibility through the rear window of the car. As part of the planning process I have made up a test piece to the overall size of the folded layout, and loaded it on the back seat of the care to make sure everything fitted.

I’ve sketched out a track plan. I decided to use the copper clad points because I had several in stock that I had made a number of years ago, including a 3 way which I particularly needed. There is a slight differential height between these and the Peco plain track, which will be addressed by packing under the underlay beneath the points.

The baseboard frames will be PSE , with tops from ply, the whole glued and screwed together, so that the PSE frame forms and “L” with the base board top. Where the boards fold, there will be a permanent hinge block at the rear of the layout, and a removable on (a la “Upwell Drove”) at the front. I’m hoping to be able to make a start on the frames later this week.

C87DA861-A02D-4E29-9A74-4D179C1BC2CA.jpeg.6495a6d2a108f48a9b7efff8c683e11d.jpeg

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 15

51 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape Alex!

Agreed!! I saw the layout name title and thought "that can only be set in one place!" 

As a great fan of the railways of the Forest of Dean, and Ben Ashworth's work myself, I will look forward to seeing this develop. 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the design parameters for Lydbrook Dean was that it should fit on the back seat of the car, without obscuring the view through the rear window. The basic frames are now complete, and have been test fitted in the car to make sure everything fits.  I have managed to preserve sufficient leg room for the front passenger.

5066A829-7E1A-474B-B727-C4400230BB26.jpeg

30F4A8F6-A45E-4E35-9364-B9E8ADDECACB.jpeg

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 13

With the baseboard tops in place, I’ve been experimenting with the track layout. I’ve decided to use peco turnouts apart from the  3 way. Playing with the track layout like this has enable me to make sure there are no cross braces where I will want to fit point motors later.

DD968225-B2CE-4407-B9A0-C3D8841FD0FF.jpeg.88ee7d53fdd719d7ddf8b1f3178e55ce.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this, yet another follower. As you know I use Spratt and Winkle couplings (for over twenty years), currently using a variation on the 3mm mk 1 coupling. Once set up they are reliable and relatively easy to adjust. I find them easier to use than Kadees!

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, mullie said:

Just found this, yet another follower. As you know I use Spratt and Winkle couplings (for over twenty years), currently using a variation on the 3mm mk 1 coupling. Once set up they are reliable and relatively easy to adjust. I find them easier to use than Kadees!

Martyn

Initial experiments with Sprat and Winkle couplings have been encouraging, and they are easier to fit to locos, which just have the loops.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I’ve stated painting the tunnel mouth. First it was sprayed with Matt black primer, which was then lightly over sprayed with Mig Faded Sinai grey, leaving the black showing through the courses between the stones. I decided the stonework should have a pinker tinge to it in keeping with the local stone, so it was drybrushed with various mixes of Mig “rotbraun”, earth and “new” wood. It was then given washes of Matt black, a grey/ earth mix and rotbraun, before being Matt varnished. The next stage will be the application of weathering powders.

B6AEDA6E-A222-491B-9B30-0FE91AE1C877.jpeg.4727aedeb08202fb61a372b5d6cbd204.jpeg
Alex

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just caught up with this Alex.

A cracking start and the scene is set!

That Model Rail/Rapido 16xx is weathered nicely. It looks like you attended to the troublesome bunker seam as well.

Will there be any Bradley (Berry) Wiggins representation on Lydbrook Dean?

If you are after some more Forest reading material Ben Ashworth's 'BR Steam in Dean' is well worth a read as is Neil Parkhouse's 'Forest of Dean Lines and the Severn Bridge. Plenty of Forest inspiration.

If your after a BR Class 14 Heljan are about to release a Forest themed set with four Dogfish ballast hoppers.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/72015/1420-Heljan-Class-14-Train-Pack-BR-green-D9505-4-Dogfish.

Look forwards to further updates.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark. Train pack is interesting. Class 14 is a bit modern for what I have in mind. If it was a 57xx though.....

Not sure about Berry Wiggins. They seem to be rather more on the Forest of Dean branch, rather than the Severn and Wye, which is where Lydbrook Dean is set. I do like them though, so I'm looking for an excuse.

Hopefully an update or two over the weekend.

Alex

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The lamp hut scrubs up very well, Alex.

If you need an excuse for Berry Wiggins, you could always argue that there was a major landslip or some such on the FoD branch, necessitating the diversion of the tanks over the S&W and the de-mothballing of the Lydbrook Jct to Cinderford section (which had, obviously, never been lifted).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

I’ve made a start on the buildings. I like me to get at least the basic shape of the buildings done at an early stage as it helps me see how it will all fit together.

The first is a disused lamp hut on the old station platform. I used the GWR lamp hut 3d printed model from Dartmoor Model Services. 
It was given a coat of grey primer. The roof and door were sprayed with Mig “Old rust”. When dry, the roof was given a couple of coats of Mig “chipping effects” followed by a coat of Mig “Matt black”. As soon of this was dry it was hydrated with plain water which made patches come away, leaving the effect of rust coming through the paint. The roof was then lightly drybrushed with Mig “Jet exhaust burnt metal” and allied to dry. I then switched to enamels and gave it a Mig “light rust” wash followed by some Mig streaking rust effects applied with a small brush. The sides were given a couple of coats of Humbrol Matt cream. The window frame was picked out in white and the door in old rust. Weathering was a light rust wash followed by streaking rust effects and dark earth weathering powder.

44DC7295-6936-4D29-8BFE-B244E161911A.jpeg.b4629de34bcaf3c12d489d05900acd8f.jpeg94ABBCB3-E966-404F-BA2D-95D9FDA555A6.jpeg.aa9b0a86cdd4b5dcf67bae9201fb32f2.jpeg

Alex

Lovely work Alex.

The time taken with the weathering has brought out the detail nicely in the print.

As it happens I am awaiting the arrival of my order from Dartmoor Model Services with one of these huts. Matt and Nick have turned things around quickly.

Think CK's case for the Berry Wiggins tankers sounds very plausible.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 4

Oh, YES!!! The details on that Pannier tick the the boxes for me!! 

Spare lamp on footplate. 

Water hose hanging over cab side.

Fireman having a breather, and not looking where the engine is going.

Obligatory bucket hung on fire iron hook.

Oh, yes.... 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Alex. 

That looks to offer much in the way of operational interest. 

Standing by. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1