Plym valley rather than the Forest of Dean and late May rather than October, but I thought it might be a useful reference for the vegetation round Whitehill tunnel at Lydbrook Dean ( It is actually the North end of Shaugh tunnel on the Plymouth-Tavistock line)

IMG_0572.jpeg.84d94d54eaeb7177dae6691565dc1422.jpeg

• Like 14

Progress on landscaping in the goods yard. The preprinted track has been ballasted. Where the rails are sunk into the yard at the ends of the sidings I have used Das, and IMG_0583.jpeg.2e302affcb823cdc697da6130905eacf.jpeground the points I have used chinchilla dust, applied dry and fixed in place with Woodland Scenics scenic cement. When dry it will be weathered.

On the yard surface there are some puddles made from glass microscope slide cover slips, painted on the reverse and epoxied in to holes cut in the yard surface. They are blended into the yard surface with Das. Some more broken areas of the surface are made by cutting holes in the surface which are then filled with chinchilla dust and blended in with Das

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Plym valley rather than the Forest of Dean and late May rather than October, but I thought it might be a useful reference for the vegetation round Whitehill tunnel at Lydbrook Dean ( It is actually the North end of Shaugh tunnel on the Plymouth-Tavistock line)

Same view in feb

image.jpeg.bb399a3de0a36a02bc2083d1ddbae03a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Nice shot Alex.

I remember that tunnel before lighting  was fitted. There's a slight curve in the middle.

Living in Woolwell, North Plymouth at the time I could cycle up to the Skylark at Clearbrook. The tunnel was always fun on a dark winter's night.

Before the tarmac surface came the route was a mixture of tree stumps and an un-even muddy surface.

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just opened a new file called "inspiration" these two photos are the first one's in it. I love the different tones of the moss. Moss is a much under modelled foliage I think. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46444 said:

Nice shot Alex.

I remember that tunnel before lighting  was fitted. There's a slight curve in the middle.

Living in Woolwell, North Plymouth at the time I could cycle up to the Skylark at Clearbrook. The tunnel was always fun on a dark winter's night.

Before the tarmac surface came the route was a mixture of tree stumps and an un-even muddy surface.

Cheers, 

Mark 

I don't like going through it, even with the lights. I find I get disorientated very quickly. It's better than Grenofen though. That one is shorter and straight, but the lights aren't so bright, and you need an umbrella most of the time.

• Like 2

Try Combe down tunnel in Bath. On a curve and a gradient and some weird music in the middle. Have run through it a few times.

Oh and it’s 1.6 km long.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC
Addition
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

With all those puddles that Vauxhall is way too clean. But a great model.

Keith

It is indeed Keith. It only came out of the box about 5 minutes before I took the photo. It will be toned down/blended in.

• Like 5

Should your quarry vehicles also be dirtier? The ones round here are filthy as are our cars when it is wet and they have been moving their massive machinery along the roads. 

Just a thought?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I like the choice of car, not so much because I've owned a couple, but because it makes a great period piece contrast with the railway infrastructure. 

When it comes to weathering from driving through puddles, the lower part of the body behind the rear wheels is where you get the most of the muck. The front wings do a pretty good job of keeping down the splashes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mullie said:

Should your quarry vehicles also be dirtier? The ones round here are filthy as are our cars when it is wet and they have been moving their massive machinery along the roads. 

Just a thought?

Hi Martyn

Short answer is yes, but to qualify. The Dennis tipper (behind the bushes in the pictures is pretty much done I think. It still needs glazing and a load, after which I’ll put a bit mud on it. I’ve addd a pic so you can see where I’m up to. What do you think?

The Austin is still a WIP and needs weathering. I’m planning to make it pretty battered, but first I need to sort out the lettering

IMG_0633.jpeg.13f1503573dcc0403ead1975387fb252.jpeg

In other news Lydbrook Dean has just been confirmed for the Edington show next year.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve nearly finished the crossing keepers cottage. It still needs some flashing round the chimney and porch.

The roof is made from card. I stick some graph paper to it, and use this a a guideline for applying laser cut slates from scale model scenery. 
Glazing is glass using microscope slide cover slips ( You can buy a box of these very useful items online. I use them for glazing and puddles)

The porch is built up from plastic card. I used a bit of planked plastic card for the base of the roof to give me the lines for laying the slates.

IMG_0658.jpeg.44a968b8f63f5ac2b41d1087034df25a.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Using graph paper to aid with lining up on the roof is a good idea - I'll steal that one if you don't mind!  I also like the idea of using cover slips for the glazing.  A couple of questions on that if I may - how did you glue them into the building, and what did you use for the glazing bars and frames?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Using graph paper to aid with lining up on the roof is a good idea - I'll steal that one if you don't mind!  I also like the idea of using cover slips for the glazing.  A couple of questions on that if I may - how did you glue them into the building, and what did you use for the glazing bars and frames?

Hi Graham. The glazing is stuck in with small strips of masking tape, stuck to the back of the glazing and to the inside of the building. No risk of any drips or adhesive on the glass with this method. I prefer the glass as I think it looks better than plastic. It is also dead flat. 

The glazing bars are done by cutting the main frame from 10thou plastic card. The glazing bars are 0.4mm plastic rod, glued behind the main frame with solvent. Pending used to do a similar thing with thin card and cotton I think.

Alex

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

This is Whitehill tunnel mouth and cutting. The tunnel mouth is scribed Das on a card base. Rocks are cast from Hydrocal and painted with washes. Brambles are teased out acrylic fibre, sprayed brown and stuck in place with hairspray, with a sprinkling of Treemendus fine autumn orange scatter.IMG_0654.jpeg.9ce5e47aa2c53f7bba8adb5cdc360931.jpegIMG_0655.jpeg.0533d85c60e0e53cbaae08ba6d5de230.jpeg

Every layout needs brambles!

Roja

• Like 2
  • Agree 2