Longfield Model Railway Exhibition - 28th & 29th January 2023

Invicta Informant

The Erith Model Railway Society's January Exhibition, one of South East England's largest shows (and probably Kent's largest by stand numbers), will (hopefully) return to The Longfield Academy for our 6th show there (and our first since 2020). The show will continue to encompass at least 30 layouts, extensive trade and society support, demonstrators, static exhibits and charity raffle (in aid of the Association of Bexley Charities '78), making about 90 stands in total.

Venue Address: The Longfield Academy, Main Road (B260), Longfield, Kent, DA3 7PH.

Opening Times: Saturday 28th January 2023 - 10:00am to 5:00pm & Sunday 29th January 2023 - 10:00am to 4:00pm.

Entry Prices: Adults - £9.00. Accompanied Children - £1.00.

Entry price includes free exhibition guide.

The venue can be reached by Longfield railway station (5-10 minute walk away), Arriva bus services 423 (from Dartford and Bluewater), 433 (from Bluewater, Sunday only) and 489 (from Gravesend), and Go-Coach bus services 474 and 475 (both from Bluewater). The buses stop within a 5-10 minute walk from the venue. Some services may stop at Longfield Academy itself, but ask the driver for the nearest stop to the venue. Please be aware that there are NO Sunday services for the 423, 474 and 475 routes.

There is a sizeable free on-site car park, full disabled access (including toilets), a large refreshment area (200 seats) and an extensive range of hot and cold food and drinks at reasonable prices. There is some off-site parking available at a day nursery in Brickfield Farm just up the road from the venue (5 minute walk away), should we run out (and we usually do) of on-site parking.

There will be a FREE Shuttle Bus service running between Longfield Railway Station and the Longfield Academy on BOTH days of the show. So if you cannot get parked at the venue or the day nursery in Brickfield Farm, you can park at Longfield Railway Station Car Park (88 spaces, Pay-and-Display - £2.80 all day Saturday, £1.00 all day Sunday) and catch the shuttle bus to the venue.

List of Attendees (correct as of 21st January):

Layouts:
Back On The Buses
Ballyconnell Road
Bletchinghurst

Browning Street

Clayton West
Crumbling Edge
Deyton Yard/Deyton Heights
Fawcett Street
Feldspar
Frittenden Road
Garden Gateway Container Terminal

Hallam Town
Hoppers End
Hornby Live Steam
Lancaster Lane
Lenham
Long Sutton Junction
Mertonford Summer '83
N E Where
Oakbourne
Padden Flats
Quarry Falls
Quevy
Santa Maria (RhB)
Sarre
Scrapworth End
Seaton
Sheepcroft
Slades Green
Smallwald Valley Railway
Somewhere In France
St. Saviour Street
Strood Dock
Swanswell
Vine Street Riverside
Wilmington

Other Exhibitors:
Charity Raffle
Double O Gauge Association

East Kent O Gauge Group
Gauge 1 Wagon Building Demonstration
Orchards (Junior) Scale Model Club Display

Trade Stands:
3mm Scale Model Railways
All Wheels
Andy Lynch Railways
Brookes Models Ltd
Cambrian Model Rail Limited
Carriage & Wagon Models
Coastal DCC
Colin Penn
David Wills

Dixon Upcott
Euroscale Models
Falconwood Transport & Military Bookshop
Heritage In Motion
HobbyTools4U
Invicta Model Rail
JB Photocards
Joe Lock Model Railways
Kent Garden Railways
Kent Model Exchange
Layouts4U
Michael Land
Models U Drive
Online Models
On The Rails
Plus Daughters
Railway Memories
Ray Morris
Roxley Models
Sudbury Model Railways
Supercast
The Wagon Yard
Thunderbolt Models
Trainsporters
WM Collectables

Society Stands:
British 1:87 Scale Society
Charity Transport Models & Books
Class 47 Preservation Project
EMRS Information Desk
EMRS Members Sales Stand
EPB Preservation Group
Network SouthEast Society
Railfuture
South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society
Southern Electric Group
Spa Valley Railway

Please check our website for further details (directions etc.). There is also an Access Statement available to view or download.

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/erithmrs/exhibit_january.html

Thank You.

January 2023 Show Flyer.jpg

Longfield Academy Map.jpg

Access Statement for the EMRS Longfield Show.docx

Edited by Invicta Informant
One layout has had to withdraw from the show
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I can confirm that the Free Shuttle Bus for the exhibition will be a Routemaster. The service shall start from about 9:00am from Longfield Railway Station on both days of the show, and will run frequently throughout the weekend (depending of attendance, traffic, driver's breaks, etc.), with the last service of the day from The Longfield Academy not long after closing time for the exhibition (5:00pm on Saturday and 4:00pm on Sunday).

The webpage for the Exhibition has been updated with the Stand Numbers and Locations within the Academy.

On 10/11/2022 at 15:17, ColinW said:

I will be there assisting on Strood Dock.

Colin

Strood Dock is Stand No. 62 in the Sports Hall.

On 04/01/2023 at 11:46, Sir Roland Matthews said:

I look forward to attending with On The Rails - it will be the first time we have attended a Model Railway Exhibition and our first event of 2023!

On The Rails is Stand No. 41 also in the Sports Hall.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/01/2023 at 14:22, Invicta Informant said:

The webpage for the Exhibition has been updated with the Stand Numbers and Locations within the Academy.

Strood Dock is Stand No. 62 in the Sports Hall.

On The Rails is Stand No. 41 also in the Sports Hall.

Thanks for the information

Colin

• Thanks 1

All set to go for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a good turnout, bearing in mind our last show was three years ago.

We are the only event happening on-site for the weekend. I and the club's Secretary, Clive, shall be marshalling the car park along with a few members of the Dartford Cambria Sea Scouts.

A few of our members are exhibiting their own layouts (Bletchinghurst, Crumbling Edge, Quarry Falls, and Scrapworth End), plus our new under construction American HO club layout, Vine Street Riverside, is making its debut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warbonnetuk said:

Santa Maria (RhB) loaded up to travel early tomorrow AM. Looking forward to a great show

Santa Maria (RhB) will be Stand No. 51 in the Sports Hall.

Set up this afternoon and evening has gone well. Hopefully we will get a decent turnout for the weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks for an excellent show, had a great day out and was lovely to be back after the covid hiatus. Busy enough not to be too crowded and some really good layouts, particularly liked Strood Dock being a Strood resident. Came away with lots of bargains so will be in the loft after tea unboxing them.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Thanks for an excellent show, had a great day out and was lovely to be back after the covid hiatus. Busy enough not to be too crowded and some really good layouts, particularly liked Strood Dock being a Strood resident. Came away with lots of bargains so will be in the loft after tea unboxing them.

Chris

As one of the operators on Strood Dock, I will pass on your compliments to the owner. The gremlins had appeared first thing, but the layout was working better throughout the day, and we had a lot of compliments from people Standing and watching. I will be back behind the layout tomorrow. 

Colin 

• Like 2

Today has gone better than I thought it would, despite one or two other things happening on-site today that we were not told until Friday once we were there. A modern single decker bus, provided by Go Coach, replaced the Routemaster we were meant to have, as it had broken down. It still nonetheless gave a useful link to and from Longfield station.

I was not sure what visitors numbers would be like after the Covid-enforced absence, but today they were quite solid.

Hopefully it will still be pretty decent tomorrow (weather and visitor attendance).

Edited by Invicta Informant
Forgot to mention something
  • Round of applause 1

I say the weekend was a success. Thank you very much to everyone who attended.

Peter Capon's WW1-themed OO9 layout Somewhere in France won the Bill Murphy Memorial Shield for Best in Show, and Steve Moor's Irish 3mm scale layout Ballyconnell Road won the John Muskett Memorial Shield for Visitors' Choice.

Please leave any feedback about the show on this thread, and we will see what we can improve for next time (provisional date being the weekend of 27th & 28th January 2024).

DSC_0942.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My son has started my granddaughter early. a 3 year old looking intently at a layout at Longfield.

She is keeping up a tradition that started with my dad taking me to York exhibition.

20230129_114653.jpg

• Like 3

I ventured out of Essex on Sunday to the show and well done to all involved in what was a very nice exhibition. The first one I've been to for a while, it's a nice a spacious venue and had a good mix of layouts and trade, plenty of 2nd hand bargains too. I had the pleasure of assisting with Sheepcroft and it was good to see Lancaster lane in the flesh as well, all in all a very good day.

• Thanks 1