Rattery 'Little Train Show' - 2nd December 2023

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I was in Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh station this morning and spotted a leaflet for a model railway show at Rattery on 2nd December next. Rattery is a small village located roughly half way between Buckfastleigh and South Brent, in South Devon.

The show is on from 1000 to 1600 on the 2nd. The postcode for the Village Hall is TQ10 9LD.

The main layout appears to be a modular one from the Dartmoor 009 Group, but the leaflet says that there will be other layouts there as well.

More info advised as at: https://tramfabriek.co.uk/littletrainshow

List of exhibits here - https://tramfabriek.co.uk/littletrainshow/exhibitors.html

I have no connection with the show, other than living nearby.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Captain Kernow changed the title to Rattery 'Little Train Show' - 2nd December 2023
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up CK.

Looks like a cracking little show with some very good layouts. 

Shame I'm not in the vicinity that weekend. I would have loved to have gone.

Hope the show goes well and becomes a regular fixture on the calendar.

Cheers,

Mark 

PS: I would agree about the Church House Inn as well..

Edited by 46444
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours at this exhibition and was quite impressed.

For a small show in an out of the way location, there was plenty to see and seem to draw quite a crowd

I felt sorry for the guys manning the carpark as they tried to find spaces for everyone, but they seemed to be taking it in their stride.

Yes it was mainly narrow gauge layouts but that was how it had ben advertised.

The modular layout, like the exhibition itself, packed a lot into a small space:

the highlight for me was the narrow gauge GWR Pacer!

The organisers had managed to squeeze in some OO & N GAUGE layouts, as well as one where kids could "have a go".  There was also a railway themed kids play area, which appeared to be well used, including by some dad's, and mum's.

Then of course there was the main part of any exhibition, the catering, and that too did not disappoint.

I met up with none other than Captain Kernow (aka Tim) and had a chat.

Also made another friend, not only a model railway enthusiast but also with a similar health situation, we compared notes on cancer treatment, after effects etc,

I was also able to get some useful advice on a particularly troublesome turnout I have on my own layout, which has featured elsewhere in my ramblings.

As has already been said, I hope this event becomes a regular in the exhibition calendar, and perhaps the success of this one will give the organisers the confidence to look for a bigger venue for next time 

Edited by rab
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was a nice little show, but I think they tried to squeeze a quart into a pint pot, there was at least one pinch point on the opposite side of the hall, there were several box file layouts and a GW 00 layout opposite where two wheel chairs were trying to pass each other and the GW layout operator, he stopped operating and moved around the end of the layout to allow them to shuffle past each other.

The catering appeared to be great, but unfortunately, I couldn't partake in the cake, because of my diabetes.

Hopefully the show was successful enough to have another one next year, with some revisions to the general layout and cater for us diabetics.

I didn't spot any loud shirts behind the Saltash club layout, so I assume that Monsewer Blackrat was not in attendance.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I didn't spot any loud shirts behind the Saltash club layout, so I assume that Monsewer Blackrat was not in attendance.

I didn't see him either, but  Re6/6 and I did have a nice chat with Mr & Mrs Wiggoforgold and Maurice H. I also had a chat with rab, so it was very nice to catch up with everyone.

I enjoyed the show very much, but I do think that there was slightly too much in the space. I also saw some wheelchair manoeuvre problems at one point. I also had my first mince pie of the season!

Afterwards, Re6/6 and I had a huge and delicious lunch at the nearby Church House Inn, which I can thoroughly recommend.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I only managed a flying visit to the show, just a quick tour and a brief chat with Re6/6 and CK, but grabbed a few phone images -mostly of the NG exhibits rather than the excellent Wearde-  to review at my leisure - I’ve accumulated quite a few narrow gauge bits and pieces over the last few years, but still haven’t got round to even settling on a layout plan. I found the whole thing very inspirational, with oodles of creativity, TARDIS like space planning and, well, good honest fun on show. There was a lot on display - and the show seemed very well attended. I will definitely attend again if or when another one is put on and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.IMG_9368.jpeg.9acb16c1dd4862fe81eacae7fceae8db.jpeg
An oval of track a siding, a small England, fully developed scenically. What’s not to like? 

IMG_9369.jpeg.ce9a77c2bbebd694b71fd147dba478f2.jpeg

Less is Moor! A reproach to all of us who claim not to have space for a layout.

IMG_9370.jpeg.3c410a3aa30eb80b0c5e9fb68ed73c5d.jpeg
A work in progress - I’m looking forward to see how this develops. 

IMG_9371.jpeg.6a57277ea04f086d200a09f25893edf6.jpeg

IMG_9372.jpeg.359d99d0c80a51567caeddd0cfb8316c.jpeg

Exquisite!

IMG_9374.jpeg.8f61c35dc0ea1be9d4705dddf101afa2.jpeg

Exquisiter!

IMG_9377.jpeg.68743e436c681da2af144d4284cea2fa.jpeg

IMG_9376.jpeg.989cd6bb0e9f9bfba304e381050240af.jpeg
A PQR Hunslet closely observed in its natural habitat.

IMG_9378.jpeg.fdfff76365cbdeb2e0bbfe03ad4f89a9.jpeg
PECO were in attendance and didn’t come empty-handed either.

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

Edited by MPR
  • Like 5