Brush Type 2 Re-Birth - Judgement Day

• 2 weeks later...

OK so, James, here are a couple of shots of the Tru-Scale Class 31 bogie etches, plus general bits that I picked up here and there for the future. The body is the old Triang one I mentioned, which a schoolmate repainted round about 1985/6.....

I can see I will need to re-think the way it is driven and sprung! :O

post-6879-033710800 1284207608_thumb.jpg

post-6879-068055800 1284207674_thumb.jpg

post-6879-043014500 1284207724_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

OK so, James, here are a couple of shots of the Tru-Scale Class 31 bogie etches, plus general bits that I picked up here and there for the future. The body is the old Triang one I mentioned, which a schoolmate repainted round about 1985/6.....

I can see I will need to re-think the way it is driven and sprung! :O

Some very sexy brass you have there :wub: I imagine that it might take more than an hour or two to complete?

Some very sexy brass you have there :wub: I imagine that it might take more than an hour or two to complete?

More than an hour or two!? It's taken me near-enough twenty years to wonder how to make best use of it!

It was designed to use a worm geartrain, but I want to use bevels-and-spurs!!

• 4 weeks later...

Horsetan - I rather like those etches, you need to build it though, it would make an interesting comparison.

Peter, these may be of interest.

DSCF2713.jpg

DSCF2719.jpg

And to give an idea of the amount of fading -

DSCF2585.jpg

CopyofDSCF2618.jpg

The techniques use tinted applications of matt varnish - there's a fuller description on my blog from a year or so ago.

Not much left to do other than a crew and wipers - lights still need finishing off too. It now has P4 wheels from Gibsons - they look so much better but also seem to reduce slop in the bogie hugely.

Overall, I don't think it's too bad.

Horsetan - I rather like those etches, you need to build it though, it would make an interesting comparison......

Not using the standard drive system, which is a bit old hat now. It has to be bevels/contrates plus spurs. Can't see any other way.

And what do we do about springs? As they come, the etches allow only the centre (unpowered) axle to float.

Thanks for the kind complements :)

I am rather pleased with it. Running wise it's virtually silent, my dad said it would nice to fit it with sound, so maybe when finances allow?

This view should allow you to see it in isolation; I'm pleased it shows the additions to buffers which are new etches from Shawplan. Brian's new stuff is wonderful! It means the shanks of the Hornby Class 50 buffers look much better. These buffers are much better proportioned than those on the 31 and 56. They're now pretty much the perfect oval diesel buffer :)

Still a couple of bits to do - waiting for an order of metal strip for the steps. It's 0,7 mm phosphor bronze strip from Mainly Trains, I use it for all sorts, especially lamp irons for which it's very useful indeed. Also, crew and wipers still.

DSCF2804.JPG

I honestly think that this is a much more pleasing model than Hornby's out of the box model. And it didn't really require a huge amount of work or effort. Detailing wise, with a new fan grille, handrails, glazing and roof grab irons it's easily on a par with the Hornby model, plus it looks much better!

You could easily incorportae the Hornby lighting units too with you wished (I'm rather off most LED lighting packages though, they don't look right to me on older locos and stock). I certainly think it's well within grasp of a competant modeller with care - and it is a nice way to show that if you're not entirely happy with something you don't have to put with it, you can get on and do something about it - may be there should be more of this?

And what do we do about springs? As they come, the etches allow only the centre (unpowered) axle to float.

With plenty of weight that'll still run nicely! Get it built! :D

Hi James,

The few extra bits you are planning to do should finish it of nicely, looks like you made you own flush windows too, might have to do mine when i get round to it.

Cheers Peter.

looks like you made you own flush windows too, might have to do mine when i get round to it.

I use Evergreen 15 thou clear styrene - with practice it's quite easy to get a good consistent result which is far better than the vast majority of glazing used on RTR models :) I think is still a major failing of much RTR equipment. Such a shame considering how good Kitmaster's glazing on their mark 1's was in the sixties!

That looks amazing James; a lot better than the Hornby 31 and the weathering is just perfect. I'm with you about glazing; better to make your own because even though rtr has flushglazing, there's always that mouldedness about them that gives them an unrealistic inner shelf or something.

What is your method of fixing or glueing the glazing into position?.

Cheers

Andy

That looks amazing James; a lot better than the Hornby 31 and the weathering is just perfect.

Thank you :)

I'm with you about glazing; better to make your own because even though rtr has flushglazing, there's always that mouldedness about them that gives them an unrealistic inner shelf or something.

The word 'mouldedness' is a perfect way to describe what I don't like about much RTR glazing! :D

What is your method of fixing or glueing the glazing into position?.

I use a very fine brush and Butonone applied very sparingly. Seems to work quite well providing the glazing is a good inteference fit in the aperture.

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF2982a.jpg

I think it's just about there now! Only missing items are buffer beam steps and a crew. For the former, I'm currently thinking about how to make them sufficiently durable for exhibtion use and a crew should be sorted soon!

One thing which has really enhanced things, I think, are the wiper marks which have used PH Designs wiper masks which are really useful little etches and form a very simple method to replicate the effect. I used red insulation tape - red to show up but insulation tape as it gives a lovely sharp edge for shapes like these.

DSCF2951a.jpg

And it was sprayed over with a very light coat of dust used elsewhere on the loco to tie everything together :)

And here is an overview of what the main bits are and where they came from -

Overview-large.jpg

And a sneak preview of the next mainline diesel project, very much on a budget this time!

DSCF2992.jpg

An excellently described rebuild James, and very informative for anyone else going down the same track. It's certainly true that some older bodyshells have what it takes for a proper build. I racked the 47 shells up together(Bach/Hel/Lima) and the Lima one came out as most 47'y (second opinion requested and confirmed). It is a Lima shell you're using for your next build?. I've not really checked the Vi one but I've got a Lima shell on standby in case I want to build a good 47.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the compliments! :) I'm very pleased with how it's turned out - I think the conbination of Lima body and Hornby running gear is one well worth persuing. It captures, I think, the look of the class 31 far more than Hornby's body does.

Andy, it is a Lima body for the 47 - with a but of work I still think it's worthy of attention. My friend Tim is now of the opinion of combining a Vi Trains body with a Bachmann chassis - there's his blog here. But my model is based around a bargain toy fair purchase and a budget P4 conversion! But I have splashed out on a set of new Shawplan Extreme grilles :D But so far, not adding the cost of the 'in stock' items, it's a loco for around thirty quid! I'll make a seperate thread if people are interested.

Hi James,

absolutely Ped tastic,B) thanks for posting up a pic with the bits you added.:D Are the Bachmann wipers available as spares? I could do with some of them. I think the wiper marks are great, I have seen them done before though sometimes a bit overdone yours loook spot on as they don't notice to much.

If you start a thread for your 47 I will certainly have a look as I still have a few Lima Duffs. I always quite like the look of them though recently I have been doing a few Bachmann 47s I think they come up pretty well.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-056396500 1289129669_thumb.jpg

absolutely Ped tastic,B)

Thanks Peter!

Are the Bachmann wipers available as spares? I could do with some of them.

I don't know - I took them off a Bachmann 47 I have which has suffered in the sun. I'm going to find out if they're available as they're perfect for Class 31s and buying a whole 47 is a rather expensive way of sourcing them I think.

I think the wiper marks are great, I have seen them done before though sometimes a bit overdone yours loook spot on as they don't notice to much.

That was the effect I was hoping for! I think a degree of subtly is needed for the right effect - when people see the model 'in the flesh' hopefully they won't notice the marks at first but just the overall effect of everything combined.

If you start a thread for your 47 I will certainly have a look as I still have a few Lima Duffs. I always quite like the look of them though recently I have been doing a few Bachmann 47s I think they come up pretty well.

Your 47 looks rather nice :)

I've evchanged a few texts and been chatting with Tim about 47s recently and he seems to think I'm barmy even contemplating the Lima model! :lol: But as a budget project using a spare set of Ultrascales, it's pretty good!

I'll be starting a thread very soon on the 47, though progress may be somewhat slower than with 31 171! I'll be going back to 1913 for a few things now!

Archived