Brush Type 2 Re-Birth - Judgement Day

Hi James,

I had a quick look for Bachmann spares but no luck, It might be worth looking for Hornby wipers they don't look to bad.

I looked at your sun damaged 47, you are probably lucky it wasn't worse, and thanks for pointing me to Tims thread, He is doing some nice work there, I was tempted with the Vitrains 47s myself but ended buying some Cheap Bachmann 47s, though Hattons have a Vitrains 47 cheap at the moment.:D

I ment to say in my other post that I use Dapol railway figures in most of my locos, they are cheap and can be hacked about a bit, they are a bit on the large side but look ok painted up.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...
I ment to say in my other post that I use Dapol railway figures in most of my locos, they are cheap and can be hacked about a bit, they are a bit on the large side but look ok painted up.

The driver of 37 219 is a rather mutilated Dapol figure! I just liked the look of him having his arm leaning out of the window.

Finally sorting out a crew for 31 171; the Dart Castings/Monty's 'Secondman' is a rather nice casting - that's one down! I may also have a shunter riding with the loco, this was, I'm told common, on the line I'll be modelling.

The Lima based 47 is coming along, so when I get chance I'll post a new thread about it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if your project from the old forum of 37065 has progressed any more James?

That Lima 31 is one of the best I have seen. I may need to have a couple of 31's for nuclear duties.

Will definately use this as the bible on how to do one properly.

Lukasz

The post was useful James, Ive got one as well becoming 31468, so have done the chasiss similar to have youve illustrated here! ill never use a Hornby shell ever again :D well cept the chassis that is

NL

Heres a picture of mine thought id share, its in progress so excuse all the sanding, its all wired up temporarily and does work! the chassis East Kent models supplied had the covered bufferbeam sides, so these were removed and the exposed sides were made from styrene sheeting and strip B)

NL

post-3095-0-49052200-1294001307_thumb.jpg

I seem to have started something!

That Lima 31 is one of the best I have seen. I may need to have a couple of 31's for nuclear duties.

Will definately use this as the bible on how to do one properly.

The post was useful James, Ive got one as well becoming 31468, so have done the chasiss similar to have youve illustrated here! ill never use a Hornby shell ever again :D well cept the chassis that is

Thanks for the kind comments :)

It would be nice to see other people attempitng the same conversion as Nick is doing :) It does make a very satisfying conversion. Plus when I spoke to Brian Hanson he said his new range of glazing would include the Lima 31 at some point which would assist with finishing rather nicely.

Just wondering if your project from the old forum of 37065 has progressed any more James?

Sadly no - it doesn't really fit in with any projects at the moment so it's on hold I'm afraid along with a number of other projects.

I think the conversion is easy to carry out once you know how to mount the Hornby gear towers, although I think one end could do with moving in a smidge, 31468 has the roof scoop (?) on the fan , failed attempts will now result in me having to email Hornby to see if they can provide a spare one fingers crossed :) thanks for sharing though James!

NL

Shame that it hasn't got further. When/if it does I would love to see. The loco is a real oddball and mainline livery is one of my favourites on 37's.

I have 37055 at the moment which is a creation between Bachmann split box ends and a vi trains body as I didn't fancy a repaint.

Sitting on a Bachmann chassis.

Lukasz

Plus when I spoke to Brian Hanson he said his new range of glazing would include the Lima 31 at some point which would assist with finishing rather nicely.

Noooo James, please don't sidetrack the 'Extreme One', at least not before he has done the Class 26 and Class 27 Etches, LazerGlaze and 35T Tank Underframes that I and a few others are waiting for..........:D :D

I'm going to have to work on him with Mr Furmage when we are in the Pub on Thursday. :D :D

Brilliant ORF 31 btw, it's really great to see how you have used the Lima bodyshell and done a a thorough detailing job and produced yet another stunning model which looks like the real thing. Your blue 37/0 is still the dogs danglies afaiak. One of my New Years resolutions is to try and produce 3 or 4 locos and about a dozen wagons to a really decent prototypical standard and complete a small P4 layout to run them on.....watch this space :blink: :blink:

BTW was it a regular around Sunny Scunny? :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini:

Cheers

Chris M

I think the conversion is easy to carry out once you know how to mount the Hornby gear towers, although I think one end could do with moving in a smidge, 31468 has the roof scoop (?) on the fan , failed attempts will now result in me having to email Hornby to see if they can provide a spare one fingers crossed

I think starting is probably the biggest stumbling block for most people on a project like this one. Once you start it's not that bad is it?!

thanks for sharing though James!

My pleasure!

A shameless plug for me I'm afraid. I already had some Lima 31's, but you've spurred me on to get on with them. I'll be running a thread, along with some other detailing bits and pieces, (not as detailed as yours I'm afraid).

I'm genuinely pleased that this has spurred others on to do their versions :)

And I keep meaning to e-mail you - I'm appalling with communication sometimes! I'll bring 31 171 with me if you want if we arrange for me to visit your clubrooms!

Shame that it hasn't got further. When/if it does I would love to see. The loco is a real oddball and mainline livery is one of my favourites on 37's.

It will get done at some point, just not yet. I've tried to really focus my modelling as I have other things which take a lot of my time! A one year sees to that! :lol:

Noooo James, please don't sidetrack the 'Extreme One', at least not before he has done the Class 26 and Class 27 Etches, LazerGlaze and 35T Tank Underframes that I and a few others are waiting for..........:D :D

I'm going to have to work on him with Mr Furmage when we are in the Pub on Thursday.

I only asked! lol! I doubt it'll be at the top of the list! :lol: It was one of many things I was asking for!

Brilliant ORF 31 btw, it's really great to see how you have used the Lima bodyshell and done a a thorough detailing job and produced yet another stunning model which looks like the real thing.

Thanks Chris!

If you're going to be a at any shows over the next few months with DEMU or similar, let me know and I'll bring it along!

Your blue 37/0 is still the dogs danglies afaiak. One of my New Years resolutions is to try and produce 3 or 4 locos and about a dozen wagons to a really decent prototypical standard and complete a small P4 layout to run them on.....watch this space

Thanks! You do seem to like it!

Where will your layout be based, have you decided yet?!

BTW was it a regular around Sunny Scunny?

I don't care that 37 219 got to Scunny or not, I'm sure it could have reached the NLLR at some point :D

To be honest it will be nice to see it finally running on a layout :)

I only asked! lol! I doubt it'll be at the top of the list! :lol: It was one of many things I was asking for!

You'd be suprised James, if it ran on the ECML at the time of the Deltics and could be found on the KX Fueling Point then Brian will be move it up the list pronto!

If you're going to be a at any shows over the next few months with DEMU or similar, let me know and I'll bring it along!

I will be at Scalefour North and Scalefourum later on this year so if you are around I would like that :rolleyes:

Where will your layout be based, have you decided yet?!

Somewhere in Central Scotland - possibly Ravenscraig or Motherwellish - there will be steel traffic but the theme will be slightly different from the NLLR. Have plan, the track, most of my stock, the boards are built - just need to get on with it, but it will not be an overnight project - my aim is to really try to capture the mood of the area I am going to model through good modelling, with the emphasis being on atmosphere and making it feel right. Even though I already have all of the bits that would be needed I plan to foresake DCC, Sound, Lights etc and let the modelling do the talking - whether I am good enough to suceed is another matter but I am going to try my damdest :) :)

Have fun.

Chris M

I seem to have started something!

You certainly did! I'm doing a 31 and a 37. Words and pictures of progress so far are in my blog.

I've also used a Dapol figure for the crewman leaning out of the window of the 37, but he hasn't had his picture taken yet.

I will be at Scalefour North and Scalefourum later on this year so if you are around I would like that :rolleyes:

Well I will be at Scalefour North and Scaleforum all being well so we will sort something :)

Somewhere in Central Scotland - possibly Ravenscraig or Motherwellish - there will be steel traffic but the theme will be slightly different from the NLLR. Have plan, the track, most of my stock, the boards are built - just need to get on with it, but it will not be an overnight project - my aim is to really try to capture the mood of the area I am going to model through good modelling, with the emphasis being on atmosphere and making it feel right. Even though I already have all of the bits that would be needed I plan to foresake DCC, Sound, Lights etc and let the modelling do the talking - whether I am good enough to suceed is another matter but I am going to try my damdest :) :)

I'll look forward to seeing more of this! It sounds like a lovely project.

I like the empahsis on the modelling itself - although I do like sound, at home it has huge play value, but light and sound can detract from layouts. I have my own views on lighting - on anything other than quite recent stock, bright LEDs don't look right at all. Seeing BR Blue diesels with seemingly HID Xenon head lights blinding you just doesn't convince me. In fact many of the photos around the period when I'll be setting my NLLR exploits have locos running with no lights at all in daylight hours. Despite its high intensity headlamp 31 171 doesn't even have that lit as it runs along the branch itself!

I think the aim for my planned layout is very similar to your aims.

As and when you get chance, give me a shout and we'll sort it out. Def fetch this and the 37 along though.

You have mail!

You certainly did! I'm doing a 31 and a 37. Words and pictures of progress so far are in my blog.

I've just had a look - the 37 does look good! The Lima moulding, despite its faults, can be made into a decent model. The best bit is when people refuse to belive that it's a Lima model underneath! :lol:

I finished two of the 37 219 style conversions and I was very pleased with them.

DSCF2081.jpg

DSCF2105.jpg

DSCF2109.jpg

Then the Bachmann model was revised and I haven't done any more - still have a draw with eight untouched Lima models! Should really do something with them or sell them!

As I promised before, I will put a thread about the conversion on when I get a chance!

I've also used a Dapol figure for the crewman leaning out of the window of the 37, but he hasn't had his picture taken yet.

He suits the 37 perfectly I think!

• RMweb Gold

DSCF2109.jpg

Does anybody remember the early day of MRJ and Monty Wells' plank he called Tangier road? No?

Well this shot reminds me of a photo of the 'Ped' build he did on an old Airfix model all those years ago.

Anyway it all looks very nice :D

• 3 months later...

I've been rather pleased with this project - that it has inspired others to undertake similar conversions has really been fantastic!

post-125-0-85434100-1303919115_thumb.jpg

I know I said this was finished, well it was and is but it's now been chipped and a lovely driver from Mounty's added. He's listed as a second man but can pass for an older driver in the early nineties who'd still be wearing a cap! The Shawplan buffer details show up nicely here too.

post-125-0-82130000-1303919094_thumb.jpg

And I rather like this view;

post-125-0-80354300-1303919077_thumb.jpg

The wiper masks show up very well here and Lima's delicate tooling can be seen around the sealed nose door. The headlight needs 'filling' but I realise my bottle of Krystal Kleer is far from crystal clear and has become a dull grey lump in its bottle!

And, of course, you can see the lovely gentle curve which the Lima body has - the whole reason why this project started!

I've been rather pleased with this project - that it has inspired others to undertake similar conversions has really been fantastic!

And, of course, you can see the lovely gentle curve which the Lima body has - the whole reason why this project started!

It certainly inspired me James. It's a lovely looking loco and I'm hoping mine will approach somewhere near this standard.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived