DSLRs for under £400

Class 67001

I know this isn't really in the right area but does anyone know all the number ranges for the wagons operating on the rail network currently. Also the OTP numbers would be helpful aswell.

Also does anyone know of a DSLR that is good and is under the £400 mark.

Thanks in advance

You're in the right place for your second question, but the title is wrong (you can edit it using the full editor option on your opening post) - for the first I suggest you start a separate topic in the 'Prototype/questions' area.

Thanks in advance

I've used Pentax SLR cameras for years and always been very pleased with them. I currently use the now discontinued K110 DSLR which takes some pretty good pictures.

I see from the internet that the Pentax K-x seems to be the current version and it's on offer in places at just under £400. I've no experience of this particular model but if it's anything like the K110 it should do pretty well. It'll be worth a look anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I know this isn't really in the right area but does anyone know all the number ranges for the wagons operating on the rail network currently. Also the OTP numbers would be helpful aswell.

Thanks in advance

Books are available for the first.

Don't rule out second hand for the second - most cameras will eventually be under the £400 mark ;)

Yes, i'd also advocate books for the first and looking at secondhand for the second question - you can get a serious piece of kit for a couple of hundred quid s/h these days.

For example the mid-range Canon 60D currently seems to be going for about £800 body only, but you can go back a few generations and get the very capable 20D for around £200 - leaving you enough to get a lens for it.

The current "consumer" DSLR in the range is the 550D going for about £550, but you can get a 300D for as little as £150

DSLRs tend to be built well, so secondhand is viable in terms of reliability.

Canon/Nikon tend to have more S/H stuff available as they are the bigger players.

• RMweb Premium

I would also suggest going down the second hand route to get a DSLR for under £400. Remember to leave enough to get a lens if it doesn't come with one.

I couldnt agree more with the 20D, I have been using the 20D for 5 years now, dont go any further back though as the 20D was a fairly big step from the 10D.

With second hand beware the number of exposures taken. The 20D has an expected life of 50,000 actuations (exposures) and i can tell you from experience that the figure is fairly acurate, my camera suffered a noticable drop in performance around this time. Its still going though and up at 70,000 odd, however the focus is noticably slower and the drive very clunky.

• 3 weeks later...

be carefull with nikon dslrs d40 d60, i think d300 have the new generation focus motor facility which does not alow the use of older nikon lenses. the diferance being the mount is the same but the motor on older generation nikons ie d100,d50,d200 is inside the body.d40,d60 d300 the motor is on the lens

• RMweb Gold

be carefull with nikon dslrs d40 d60, i think d300 have the new generation focus motor facility which does not alow the use of older nikon lenses. the diferance being the mount is the same but the motor on older generation nikons ie d100,d50,d200 is inside the body.d40,d60 d300 the motor is on the lens

Not quite, but pretty close. D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 do not have a built-in focus motor. This does stop you using the full (back to 1959!) range of Nikon lenses, but for most people this is not significant. Any lens that is fully compatible with these cameras will have the AF-S tag, and almost all the lenses you will want to buy new or nearly-new have this. The D300 (my wife has one) definitely has a motor in the body. Not having a built-in motor reduces cost and weight. Trust me, wandering around with even 3 kilos round your neck all day is hard work, and serious sports photographers are using lenses that weigh 4-5 kilos, let alone bodies twice the weight of the ones quoted here. This site will tell you an awful lot more http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm

Canon have changed their lens mount twice in the last 40 years (1971 and 1986, I think), so old Canon lenses don't fit modern Canons of any sort.

Archived