Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

Guest eddie reffin

That Bear is a cracking modeller!

Seriously though, I really like the way you seem to have the knack of capturing the modern urban scene so well. It was something I tried with Rockfield Road but was that pressed for time that it became a bit of an after thought. It is something that the club is going back to address in time for our show in September.

Far too many layouts ignore beyond the fence which is a shame as it brings so much character to the layout. To give you an example: Last Saturday, we had Rockfield Road out at the Victorian Day in Strathpeffer and the organisers had arranged for a vintage MacBraynes bus for trips. It just so happened that one of the few vehicles on the layout was a model of the same bus! Almost all the visitors commented on it which just shows that they do look beyond the trains.

Cheers for the inspiration

Regards

Eddie

Well here we go, after a day's hard work, this is more or less complete...

This has certainly been a challenge, but I'm impressed with myself for keeping going and not taking any shortcuts. The construction method was the same as I always use on buildings - design the sections on PC, print them out onto card or acetate OHP transparency, then build up the layers one at a time. Flags were made on PC and folded to shape, the internal floor is a Scalescenes sheet, as are the roofs. All else is designed from scratch, other than the previously mentioned Noch laser-cut fences.

It should look pretty impressive stood next to the station viaduct on the layout, and I'm particularly pleased with how the clock tower has come out - this was a case of trial and error, but the end result looks good, especially the clock (a photo of Big Ben!), and the 'Palace' signs next to the cupola (the roof of which was murder to design and get right!). The flag poles also help bring the building into the 21st century - without them, as a listed building should be, it looks just as it did when built!

David

post-6666-0-55918300-1308077077_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-79158700-1308077092_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-76897700-1308077121_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-91087800-1308077137_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-75830200-1308077153_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-20284300-1308077181_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's a wonderfully imposing structure, steeped in character :-)

The Noch railings are a very nice detail. May I ask how did you produced the 'Palace' lettering? And I'm also curious how you made the window frames?

I must say as the first structure on your new layout this is very promising for what may lay ahead :yes:

Thanks both!

The actual Palace Hotel in Manchester (I stayed there a few years back), reminded me of St P as well, though my model has drastically toned down the Gothic style of the prototype.

The windows and Palace sign at the top are all printed onto OHP transparency. If you look closely at the sign, it's simply a rectangle, though gives the appearance of cut out letters.

The use of transparency drastically speeds up my construction - I design a full elevation on the computer, then for this building printed it out 3 times - once on OHP transparency for the windows, then onto thin card for the base elevation (and cut out the windows), then a third time, but cut out only the areas I want as raised detail (pillars and such). The sides of the card are then brushed with a felt pen.

Looking at the model this morning, I've realised it needs a more modern hotel sign over the door - the punters won't know which hotel their taxi has pulled up in front of!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

It's really good. Reminds me of the "Malmaison" type boutique hotels you see in a lot of city centres these days.

I agree about the signage around the door - when modelling buildings I have found with signs/awnings/other details that the more you look the more you see, and the hardest decision is when to stop adding detail.

I could also imagine a scenario in which the hotel is actually known by a new name (especially if acquired by one of the chains) but has to retain the "Palace" signage on the tower as it's a listed building...

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben,

I've gone for the real hotel's current logo, and added a few extra signs around the door, and it has properly finished it off.

Once embedded into the layout though, there will probably be things like a red carpet and doorman outside, banners on the street lamps and so forth, plus a bus stop, and a big issue seller being pushed away by the doorman :rolleyes:

David

post-6666-0-80947400-1308129604_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Few more things to ask then.

1) What software do you use to design/draw the buildings with?

2) Do you use Scalescenes textures for the walls etc or do you draw them all yourself?

3) If you draw the textures all yourself how would one go about doing that?

Thanks

Carl

Thanks guys,

In answer to Carl's questions - I use Corel Painshop Pro for all my graphics work, its basically a cheap version of photoshop. I've been using various versions of it for about ten years now. Some of the textures start out as Scalescenes, others are created from scratch using photos from the internet. The brickwork for example, starts out as a purchase of the brick sheet from Scalescenes. Rather than printing it out, I import the PDF into Paintshop and then create my own elevation of the building on top of it. Its basically like creating your own brick paper, but exactly how you want it before it prints, rather than using pre-printed paper and cutting it up.

David

David,

3 things:

1 - Hows the 90 running?

2 - Did you get round to joining the NGS, after Stuart and I kept haranguing you???

3 - If answer to 2 is yes, then I feel an article for the Journal about this construction technique would be good.

Besides that, excellent work again matey. Keep it up and Geoff will have it pencilled in for.........oh lets say 2013!!!! ish.

Cheers

Neal.

Wow,

This looks like another brilliant layout david.

The buildings look spot on..

Sorry to go off topic..

Did you dad ever finish the project he started a few years ago??

Keep up the good work fella

Hi Porkie,

Yes, my Dad did finish the N gauge layout, and also completed a large new OO layout, and is just starting his next N gauge layout at the moment - just a single board like my new one. Next time I'm down there, I'll take a few snaps of the completed N gauge one.

David

David,

Cracking work there with Cross Street and Ring Road. I like your concept based on Manchester Oxford Rd and Birmingham, I am currently in the early stages of an Oxford Road based model too, except going the other way towards Man Picc! albeit with some modellers licence alter the exact building, and the need to compress the whole scene.

Im very interested in your Palace Hotel as I amcurrently trying to build something very similar based on a Vollmer european apartment block but im not entirely happy with it as some aspects look too 'European'. Perhaps I need to investigate the methods you have used...?! The rest of my buildings are build from card including a scratch representation of Oxfrd Road Station building itself.

I look forward to further updates and watching your progress with Cross Street. Good Luck

Regards

Mike

Station Entrance

Less impressive, but no less important, is the station entrance. Based on Manchester Deansgate, the building would have been constructed around the same time as the Palace Hotel, and they occupy alternate sides of the viaduct along Cross Street. With the similar architecture, I decided to press on with this building today, as I was pleased with the techniques I used to create the hotel.

This is actually a far more tricky building to make, as the front is curved. With the complex roof line (roof still to be constructed), and the need for an interior (this will be at the very front of the layout, with the entrance facing outwards), I was quite glad this was such a small building.

Lots yet to do - the roof, a hanging double arrow totem, drainpipes and a couple of extra signs on the outside, but this should give an impression of how it will end up.

David

post-6666-0-27591000-1308236242_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-71206400-1308236243_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-13233700-1308236245_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-76363500-1308236240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1