EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115452685502?hash=item1ae1842cbe:g:qNAAAOSw8BtisNRk

I know we are not supposed to cast aspersions on other people's modelling on this thread, as it can cause upset, but can anyone shed any light on what exactly I am looking at here? 

The seller has several other “VGC” kits for sale with the same photo.  Perhaps it’s a “holding” photo to get the listing.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, 40152 said:

The item specifics say that it’s a Pola kit, including:

“Basic Scenery, Depot, Gantry Crane, Industrial Building, Signal”

A better picture would have helped.

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My inner cynic thinks that it might be a battered old Faller, Kibri or Pola European style building made about forty years ago and usually in the £2 bin at exhibitions?

It’s in the description….admittedly I wouldn’t shell out my hard earned without a better pic and even then not a tenner, but in fairness to the seller, the info is there.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, 40152 said:

The item specifics say that it’s a Pola kit, including:

“Basic Scenery, Depot, Gantry Crane, Industrial Building, Signal”

A better picture would have helped.

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Apparently, a small section of tiled roof (European kit, something like Faller perhaps?) and the base of a large brick built chimney stack or tower, possibly indicating an industrial building or part of one.  Beyond that, I've no idea what you are looking at here, Paul, or why you should pay £10 for it!

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

My inner cynic thinks that it might be a battered old Faller, Kibri or Pola European style building made about forty years ago and usually in the £2 bin at exhibitions?

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

It’s in the description….admittedly I wouldn’t shell out my hard earned without a better pic and even then not a tenner, but in fairness to the seller, the info is there.

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It was just a bit of fun guessing from the picture. 😉

If you're scanning through the ebay listings and the thumbnail is of an odd bit of nothing, the probability is that you'll keep on going and not see the description that its a Pola "European goods depot".  It may be that you're looking for one, but that particular listing is not going to snare you!

Its reminiscent of those "guess the mystery item" photos that used to be popular years ago, like

lbb.jpg.19d954c989ebf2d5f3b637935a74eec2.jpg

the base of a lightbulb or

sh.jpg.1ba304719d7b93089f3b59d85b7060df.jpg

the holes in a showerhead.

As Mr Wolf said, it was fun guessing the picture!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

While not Ebay, and generally an excellent retailer, I can't quite get my head around this one...

Sure, it's a professional job and looks good, but who would pay £200 for a loco that barely works, when you can get rusty/scrap finished dead loco's off ebay for under £30

https://www.themodelcentre.com/djmooj94-005scraptmc

Edited by Iskra
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Iskra said:

While not Ebay, and generally an excellent retailer, I can't quite get my head around this one...

Sure, it's a professional job and looks good, but who would pay £200 for a loco that barely works, when you can get rusty/scrap finished dead loco's off ebay for under £30

Would also look better without the “weathered” NEM pockets at each end…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Iskra said:

'tis the PT Barnum approach...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Any evidence that such withdrawn locos had the word 'SCRAP' applied thereupon?

BR locos and stock usually had ‘COND’ (for ‘condemned’) and the ‘x in a circle’ symbol painted on.  ‘Scrap’ or ‘For Scrap’ would be more associated with industrial sites, but this is not a hard and fast rule, and there were exceptions!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Iskra said:

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Would also look better without the “weathered” NEM pockets at each end…

Cheers

Darius

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Any evidence that such withdrawn locos had the word 'SCRAP' applied thereupon?

To be honest, its probably the best outcome for a DJM non-locomotive, though I wouldn't pay more for one than I would for a Dapol/Hornby example. Given that it has a "limping motion", I'd pay less! The NEM pockets must have been left just in case someone wanted to have it limp about occasionally, dragging some condemned wagons...  Its a minor thing, but it also has a buffer missing!  Even locos destined for the scrapyard would have those in situ until someone started getting creative with the gas-axe.

As for labelling it scrap, thats for the hard of thinking. It might have some sacking tied over the chimney if its last shed thought it might be retrievable, but nothing would say "scrap" more than missing coupling rods!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

To be honest, its probably the best outcome for a DJM non-locomotive, though I wouldn't pay more for one than I would for a Dapol/Hornby example. Given that it has a "limping motion", I'd pay less! The NEM pockets must have been left just in case someone wanted to have it limp about occasionally, dragging some condemned wagons...  Its a minor thing, but it also has a buffer missing!  Even locos destined for the scrapyard would have those in situ until someone started getting creative with the gas-axe.

As for labelling it scrap, thats for the hard of thinking. It might have some sacking tied over the chimney if its last shed thought it might be retrievable, but nothing would say "scrap" more than missing coupling rods!

Stashed in the tender or bunker. 

Sacking over the chimney indicated a loco without a current boiler certificate, the sacking preventing the fire drawing and thus preventing any mistaken attempt to raise steam (though I always thought removal of the safety valves would be more effective).  It was often seen on locos in store out of traffic. 

Locos at Dai Woodham’s at Barry would be left in mid-gear with the handbrakes on and the motion in the tender or bunker.  All backhead controls and gauges were removed prior to delivery and any coal in the bunker removed as well, along with all water drained from boiler.  Any in tanks was drained as well before the loco left it’s last shed, tools and lamps returned to stores, and smoke & fireboxes were cleaned out.  any brass or copper removed very quickly.  Even decades later, the sandboxes were usually still full!  

There’s a right and a wrong way to model withdrawn locos, in storage or actually being cut.  Yards mostly cut locos on arrival to make room for more, and Dai was an exception, having cheap room to store locos as what he called a ‘banker’ against the supply of wagons, easier to cut and more profitable, dried up, so that there would be work for his men.  In the event few were ever cut and most went into the hands of preservationists, sold by weight.  Typically, a loco delivered to a scrappie would have little left to identify it after a couple of working days. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

To be honest it's been painted as if it had been dug out of a landslide in Red Soil Devon... 

There are plenty of good reference pictures portraying a loco that has been withdrawn and on the scrap line for that amount of rust there should be evidence of paint peeling off after a very long time in storage to have acquired that stage of rust.

Rust would also vary in hue dependant on exposure to the elements this would be evedent in the metal pitting as this oxidized and broke down.

Any loco that has recently been stored the black paint would have faded and a hint of green mould staring to take over. Next weeds and moss would start to appear 

Edited by John Besley
Schpelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

I have to agree you there John, a lot of the weathered scrap locos look more like recently burned out cars to me. It's not as if there isn't a mountain of reference material out there is it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Iskra said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374157123106?hash=item571d809e22:g:EVkAAOSwdytivJ51

What do we think of this scrap loco, currently going at 99p? Better than the £200 one?

It's slightly better, If I had a Airfix/ Dapol Hunslet kicking around I'd see what I could turn out... Just for the sheer H' of it

• Like 2