The CLC through Stockport

travel along the surviving section at Northenden jnc to Skelton jnc in this speeded up cab ride film.

Did you notice the Vyrnwy aqueduct crossing over the line just before Delamere Stn. (at 7.03 on the video).......`another marvellous Victorian undertaking.

So sad to see Mouldsworth Junc. now without it`s S.B and the line to West Cheshire Junc.......I spent many turns hauling rakes of 100 tonne oil tankers from Stanlow and fertiliser trains from UKF (Ince).....it made for a delightfully-leafy (if rather bouncy) trip along the old single-line through Alvanley and Manley.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Did you notice the Vyrnwy aqueduct crossing over the line just before Delamere Stn. (at 7.03 on the video).......`another marvellous Victorian undertaking.

i never knew that pipeline was to do with lake vyrnwy, must have driven under it hundreds of times too

the bridge before it was a good braking point for delemere (in the dry), at chester it had a "special name" due to the unfortunate positioning of a drainpipe, "donkey **** bridge"

• Like 4

The stone terminal is located behind what used to be Quaffers nightclub and the DIY store. If you go round the back of the DIY store you can see the buffer stops and further up the line the unloading shed.

What Quaffers gone, what is the world coming to :(

I've often thought that Network Rail could save themselves some maintenance costs by reopening Cheadle Village Junction-Davenport, which would enable the remaining line from Northenden Junction to Hazel Grove via Cheadle Heath to close.

Im just wondering on the line from Skelton junction to Glazebrook via Caddishead viaduct.

whilst its pretty much certain this line wont be used again, unlike the LNWR route to Warrington, the Caddishead route doesnt look like it has been built on? so if in dream land the bridge was able to be repaired/replaced the bridge looks the only obstacle? albeit a really big one!

Im just wondering on the line from Skelton junction to Glazebrook via Caddishead viaduct.

whilst its pretty much certain this line wont be used again, unlike the LNWR route to Warrington, the Caddishead route doesnt look like it has been built on? so if in dream land the bridge was able to be repaired/replaced the bridge looks the only obstacle? albeit a really big one!

used to work in glazebrook box and your right the line has not been built on yet also the new baypass tunnled under the line rather than making a cutting heard many roumers about this line being reopend with a curve to allow frieght liners to run into trafford park without having to use the picc - deansgate bottleneck would of been a junction with the clc & l&nwr built at adswood rd

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've often thought that Network Rail could save themselves some maintenance costs by reopening Cheadle Village Junction-Davenport, which would enable the remaining line from Northenden Junction to Hazel Grove via Cheadle Heath to close.

What about the Tunstead-Oakleigh limestone trains? I assume it still makes sense to run them through Cheadle Heath to not create problems with paths in that area (or just the gradient on the Hazel Grove chord?).

Simon

• RMweb Gold

heard many roumers about this line being reopend with a curve to allow frieght liners to run into trafford park without having to use the picc - deansgate bottleneck would of been a junction with the clc & l&nwr built at adswood rd

trying to get my head round that plan, so northbound liners would go crewe to adswood rd, duck down onto the midland towards northernden jn, up the old line to glazebrook and turn right onto the warrington central to deansgate line at glazebrook

also an eastbound entrance to trafford park terminal would be needed, possibly via the current msc transfer sidings, i cant remember if there were any points from the msc sidings/reception line to the main terminal lines though, from memory i seem to think there isn't, besides i used to enjoy lifting my 56 through oxford road and platform 13 at picc at full chat

it would be soul destroying as a driver to know you are only about 10 miles from trafford park knowing you have to do a 20 or so mile diversion, but its a good idea, if there was any freight left from liverpool they could use it too, liverpool, warrington central, glazebrook jn, skelton jn, northenden, hazel grove, new mills, chinley, dore for sheffield or chesterfield direction

• Like 3

trying to get my head round that plan, so northbound liners would go crewe to adswood rd, duck down onto the midland towards northernden jn, up the old line to glazebrook and turn right onto the warrington central to deansgate line at glazebrook

also an eastbound entrance to trafford park terminal would be needed, possibly via the current msc transfer sidings, i cant remember if there were any points from the msc sidings/reception line to the main terminal lines though, from memory i seem to think there isn't, besides i used to enjoy lifting my 56 through oxford road and platform 13 at picc at full chat

it would be soul destroying as a driver to know you are only about 10 miles from trafford park knowing you have to do a 20 or so mile diversion, but its a good idea, if there was any freight left from liverpool they could use it too, liverpool, warrington central, glazebrook jn, skelton jn, northenden, hazel grove, new mills, chinley, dore for sheffield or chesterfield direction

that basicley describes the plan yes there was also one floated of reopening the line from kenyon jn to glazebrook west jn so the liners could run up the wcml then onto chat moss kenyon through culcheth glazebrook then on to trafford park . levers one to thirteen at glazebrook box were origanaly designed to operate west jn but it was abolished before they were brought into use

that basicley describes the plan yes there was also one floated of reopening the line from kenyon jn to glazebrook west jn so the liners could run up the wcml then onto chat moss kenyon through culcheth glazebrook then on to trafford park . levers one to thirteen at glazebrook box were origanaly designed to operate west jn but it was abolished before they were brought into use

Going off topic a moment - Eileen says can you come and collect NIck's computer!

used to work in glazebrook box and your right the line has not been built on yet also the new baypass tunnled under the line rather than making a cutting heard many roumers about this line being reopend with a curve to allow frieght liners to run into trafford park without having to use the picc - deansgate bottleneck would of been a junction with the clc & l&nwr built at adswood rd

Not going to happen - Trafford Park will close when Port Salford opens which will have a direct connection with Chat Moss line for both east and west departures. This will remove all liner traffic from the Oxford Road corridor with most trains heading straight out to Earlestown and the WCML. Because of the road links within Port Salford and Trafford Park there would be no need for any terminals to remain in the Park which I suspect would also include Containerbase who will likely get a very good deal from Peel to re-locate freeing up more space around the Trafford Centre (why not a mainline connection even?).

Looking at the south of Stockport on Google maps it's pretty heavily built up with houses and I'd say a curve from the south to either of the routes towards Skelton is a non-starter. The link across from Davenport is also pretty much built over too, not to mention missing its bridge over the main line. The remaining unapproved bits of the Northern Hub scheme, principally two more through platforms at Piccadilly, will improve access to Trafford by the existing route - if by then it is still a rail terminal.

• RMweb Gold

regards port salford (to be honest ive never heard of it!) if things re going out via earlestown then are they going to be doing, or have they done much work on chat moss (apart from the impending electrification) as i seem to remember that last time i drove it (approx 2006) it was 60 for passenger trains but only 25 for freight from astley to patricroft (M60 bridge), that would be a big bottleneck if it was still like that

was there ever a junction from kenyon to glazebrook, i know it went over the top at kenyon cutting with the jn to leigh going north/north east but i didnt think it joined up with that line?

What about the Tunstead-Oakleigh limestone trains? I assume it still makes sense to run them through Cheadle Heath to not create problems with paths in that area (or just the gradient on the Hazel Grove chord?).

Simon

When the Hazel Grove Chord scheme was being considered back in the early 1980, I am told that BR did look into the possibility of closing what is now the freight-only single line from Hazel Grove (High Level Jnc.) down to Northenden and instead bring all of the freight down the new single track chord through Hazel Grove and Davenport and then take the re-instated line from Davenport Jnc. (aka The Khyber) up and across the main Crewe/Stoke lines and then join the then mainly freight-only line from Edgeley to Northenden Jnc as mentioned.

I am not certain what the deciding factor was against doing this, obviously the bridge over the Crewe/Stoke lines would need to be replaced plus either a level crossing or a brand new bridge to replace the former Adswood Road 'Bakery Bridge' plus alterations to create the new junctions at each end and associated signalling changes. I would guess that somewhere a loop or loops would need to be provided to recess the freight trains to allow the passenger services to take priority. The obvious place for this would have been the re-instatement of Woodsmoor loops that started at Hazel Grove.

So a lot of things to consider and maybe this influenced the decision to design the chord and keeping the line from Hazel Grove to Northenden in with a reduction to single line. Add to that the loop provided at Hazel Grove High Level on the site of the former Midland station and this allowed down freight trains to be recessed out of the way of the passengers to await an up freight to come up from Northenden and thus clear the section. In fact you can send an Up train from Northenden and once it was at Hazel Grove end then Northenden could send another behind it to wait at the first Hazel Grove signal on the single line section. I will ask a member of my model railway club Trevor Moseley as he was involved with the chord scheme and might be able to fill in the gaps.

As for the hoppers they were on rare occasions routed loaded down and empties up the chord and from memory of seeing them passing the car park on Sunday car boot days (no photos damm!) they were always just double headed Buxton 37/5s as usual. Nowadays there isn't much freight on the Hazel Grove to Northenden line the main ones being the Northwich hoppers, Dowlow enterprise and occasional freight flows like the Northenden stone.

Cheers Paul

Some links regarding Port Salford:

http://menmedia.co.uk/salfordadvertiser/news/s/1097754_peels_plan_for_port_salford_is_a_step_closer

http://www.peel.co.uk/landandproperty/portsalford

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/8659-port-salford-work-to-begin-in-summer.html

It will feature it's own Metrolink station as the proposed (now at the top of the list for funding) Trafford Park line will continue past the Trafford Centre to Port Salford on a new low level road/tram bridge across the Ship Canal beneath the Barton viaduct.

Not aware of an specific changes on Chat Moss to accommodate the extra services but I expect the decision to electrify that route over the present express route via Irlam will have been bolstered by the new terminal because of the modal shift it will deliver away from road onto canal/train and the direct connections with WCML without going through Manchester. Port Salford is a massive investment if the current works supporting the electrification don't deliver any other improvements then I am sure there will be money somewhere to pay for any works to deliver 18 liner services to the port.