Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Hoping to have found another little Gem. 10 kit built wagon kits for £17.50 including postage. Well 1.75 each wagon I think is not bad. Now what I have are

4 K's wagons, GWR Coral A and a Toad brake van, a LNER Low Mac. All these 3 are whitemetal and a plastic SR 4 wheeled Utility van. The Coral A had bent frames, so out with the hot water and a gentle bit of bending hopefully straighten them out. The other 3 look fine in the photo. The Coral A and Low Mac on their own are worth the £17.50, the toad and utility van are more common

Slaters wagons, LMS cattle van, LMS van, 10 plank open and a private owner 7 plank.

A Graham Farish Van and a bit battered but what may be a Kenline LMS cattle van or similar.

Wont be with me till later in the week but very pleased with the K's wagons and if the other cattle van is Kenline again I will most happy

Not exactly models but I bought a peugeot 106 diesel (12in to the foot) off ebay 3 years ago for £151 and I am still driving around in it, okay it isnt anything to write home about but the 3 MOTs have only cost a total £156 and it is returning a real world 58mpg so I would call that a bargain.

• Like 3

Hoping to have found another little Gem. 10 kit built wagon kits for £17.50 including postage. Well 1.75 each wagon I think is not bad. Now what I have are

t what may be a Kenline LMS cattle van or similar.

It may be the K's whitemetal LMS cattle van.

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

[Hoping to have found another little Gem. 10 kit built wagon kits for £17.50 including postage. Well 1.75 each wagon I think is not bad. Now what I have are

4 K's wagons, GWR Coral A and a Toad brake van, a LNER Low Mac. All these 3 are whitemetal and a plastic SR 4 wheeled Utility van. The Coral A had bent frames, so out with the hot water and a gentle bit of bending hopefully straighten them out. The other 3 look fine in the photo. The Coral A and Low Mac on their own are worth the £17.50, the toad and utility van are more common

Slaters wagons, LMS cattle van, LMS van, 10 plank open and a private owner 7 plank.

A Graham Farish Van and a bit battered but what may be a Kenline LMS cattle van or similar.

Wont be with me till later in the week but very pleased with the K's wagons and if the other cattle van is Kenline again I will most happy

The wagons arrived today, all really need something doing to bring them up to a decent standard, most are just missing the odd buffer, a couple are a bit damaged. All could do with repainting and new couplings.

As I thought K's GWR Coral A, NE Lowmac, GWR Toad and SR utility van. First three whitemetal SR utility is plastic.

4 Slater wagons (2 wagons & 2 vans)

From what I can see the damaged cattle van is a Kenline SR cattle van, and the other Van is a metal casting for the body so I can only go by what the seller described as a Graham Farish van

Here is a link to the lot http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interesting-assortment-of-10-vintage-kitbuilt-wagons-all-require-repair-refurb-/181203370689?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=A2F%252BUeNLhDuOt1kJjpbL3%252BwyHVc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

saves me taking a photo.

First job is to sort out the Coral A, thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75887-how-do-i-repair-this-old-ks-coral-a-wagon/

post-1131-0-75432000-1378496805_thumb.jpg

As you can see its a bit battered, hoping to save the framework

Edited by hayfield

About turn on the cattle van. Not a Kenline SR van at all.

A complete guess is a CCW /Ratio/ Kings Cross wagon. It has Peco W irons and axle boxes and home made break gear. Still very happy with it as I have as I have a part made CCW GWR syphon G and an un-made Ratio GWR Mica B, and 2 wooden bodies SR utility vans.

Guess what I have just noticed on my shelf, a made up Kenline SR cattle van. This must prove I have too much stock !!!

Hi,

I nearly bid on that lot!  All I wanted was the Slaters Hickleton PO though.

I think you will find the cattle is an early Slaters (from the period when they only provided sides). Prototype is the LMS std cattle van (note the diagonal door planking) Underframes were not provided in the kit hence the odd underframe bits.

Tony

Tony

Thanks for the info, I have 2 other Slaters MR livery cattle vans along with a very good scratch built cattle van that I bought off Ebay a year or two ago. If I decide to dispose of the PO wagon I will send you a message. My interest was in the Keyser wagons.

Why are Slaters 4mm wagons so popular now, a friend has just sold a few!!

Slightly OT but I had some good advice from Vectis a few years back when I had some good stuff to sell.  They said not to get too hung up on the price achieved of any individual piece but to set a target for the group of things.

We recently sold some TT stuff of my wife's on *bay, and most sold for better than we expected but a few (including a couple of small items with free postage) didn't do so well.  All in all we were well ahead.  ie even if you're just an individual seller having a clearout, if possible always imagine a target for the overall listing rather than cry in your beer about a couple that didn't do so well.

I have had a couple of looks on Vectis but they tend to sell in larger lots, and whilst I may want one loco I dont want 3. Also they dont tend to have the spares that are on Ebay.

One good point about Ebay is that you can pass on unwanted spares, you can name your own start price, so providing the selling price with P&P covers postage and all fees much better to pass bits on rather than throw them in the bin.

As its been said many times, decent items if posted in the right category with a clear description, decent photo and ending at a time most will be at home will fetch a good price

• 2 weeks later...

I won a lot on Ebay for a Comet chassis and Romford wheels, looked very incomplete. This is the description

Markits Romford wheels axles set for Hornby Airfix Dapol 14XX also includes Comet chassis (incomplete) 00 finescale. Comet chassis has no bearings and there are no instructions. Wheels have full set of axle nuts . No gears and no wormset

The photo only showed the basic chassis with wheels. No coupling rods, brake gear etc. I thought well I have plenty of top hat bearings and I have a K's 14xx which needs a chassis. As the K's body is about 4mm to short (the chassis needs cutting down) and I have the K's rear wheel spring castings all I would need to buy is a couple of coupling rods and at a price well below the cost of a set of wheels (£17.90 inc postage) it was well worth a punt.

Well it arrived today with all the rest of the fret, and an unknown fret for what looks like a rather complicated etching for a slide bar set. Its missing the wheel bearings and the rear wheel spring castings, as I have said I have the bearings and can either buy some castings from Comet or use the K's I have.

I was quite surprised to find the retail cost of the parts on the Comet website. £46.25 and as I said I paid under £18, sadly not dirt cheap but at well under half the retail price and with more components than I expected. A nice surprise to come home to and yet again proof Ebay has good value items

Edited by hayfield

• 1 month later...

I found a book on E-bay that I had been looking for for some time. It was published in 1973 and never reprinted. The best price I had seen before was $75US, with postage to Canada of about $40US. This one was $39US, shipping to the US only, but with free postage within the US. I e-mailed the seller - he said he would post it to Canada, but confirmed postage would be $40US. Even at that, I was considering it.

Then I looked into mailboxes on the US side of the border. These used to have to be rented on an annual basis - there are now companies that will receive packages for a 'per item' cost. So total cost will be $42.75US! (plus anything Customs charge, but I think used books are exempt from duty.)

I wish I had found out earlier about these companies receiving US packages, though I can hear apprehensive noises from my wallet!

• Like 1

Good morning all

There are bargains to be had. A couple of years ago I picked up a LNER J6 for nearly £70. When I removed the chassis expecting to replace the Hornby X04 with a Mashima motor, I found a Portescap. That went back on Ebay and sold for nearly the price of the loco.

I had a scoop from an auction house, A DJH LNER Raven A2 kit along with a Finecast LNER K3 kit (new addition with several cabs), and a spare K3 chassis kit for £140. The A2 usually sells for more than that.

There is an awful lot of overpriced rubbish on Ebay, but if it wasn't there we would miss the bargains that are there. Also it can give us a few laughs, at times with the listings.

Earlswood nob

• 2 weeks later...

Just acquired a couple more wrecks which should yield some useful parts. One of them is an Impetus "08" chassis which has a highly-interesting coreless motor in it. The eBay photo seemed to suggest it was an Escap mated to an all-spur "Microdrive" - never seen one of those in the flesh before. You learn something new every day.

.... I found a Portescap. That went back on Ebay ....

Did I end up buying that one?

I know I did pick up one RG4 1616 last year which was listed as being non-working, but it turned out that there was nothing wrong with it - all it needed was some new grease and a little easing-back of the initial bevel, and everything spun freely again. As an experiment, I swapped the Escap with a Maxon (the two come in similar sizes and have the same screw holes) and ended up with an even more powerful combination. Still too wide to go into a Bachmann Ivatt 4, though - nothing wider than 13mm diameter in that one.

The eBay photo seemed to suggest it was an Escap mated to an all-spur "Microdrive" - never seen one of those in the flesh before. You learn something new every day.

Horse,

The Micro Metalsmith drive was a 2:1 (IIRC) drive gearbox remotely coupled to a skew drive. The gearboxes and universal drives were a little rough on the finish but the gears seem to do the job well. There are two in John Hayes' 45xx's still running on the NLGs Bodmin.

Tony

Horse,

The Micro Metalsmith drive was a 2:1 (IIRC) drive gearbox remotely coupled to a skew drive. The gearboxes and universal drives were a little rough on the finish but the gears seem to do the job well. There are two in John Hayes' 45xx's still running on the NLGs Bodmin.

Interesting. I wonder what I could usefully cram it into..... Hmmmm......

• 4 weeks later...

Received it on Friday. Intriguing bit of kit, and coupled to a Faulhaber 1624 as opposed to an Escap. Gear ratio is either 14.37 or 15:1.

Another nice packet arrived in the post today, described as 00 gauge kit building accessories and in details 

Two Bristol Models chassis kits, both six driving wheel locos, one includes a pony truck, not sure of prototype, one already built.

Four Comet Models chassis kits, one LF23 Collett goods chassis, two L1/T1 tender chassis kits and one T3 tender chassis kit.

Also Jamieson LNER valve gear kit.

The Bristol model chassis are a 63xx and a Dean Goods, the Collet chassis needs a set of coupling rods, but for £4.23 (no postage as I also bought a MPD LMS 3F in P4 and the seller only charged one set of postage) from the same seller I have 3 loco and 3 tender chassis plus a set of Jamieson LNER valve gear

Very pleased with this lot, just need to look at what chassis I have against the kits I have that either need chassis or need a better chassis

Edit, just won a Wills Finecast LMS 4-6-0 assembled (no wheels or motor) etched chassis at a fraction of the cost of a new SEF one. (was it a bad guess or poor photo?)

Edit 2  Just had a closer look (photo is a bit un-clear) not a LMS 4-6-0 but a King Arthur. I do have a Wills un-built King Arthur body, what a great mistake, though I do have a Wills Scot body to build

Edited by hayfield

Just noticed that the King Arthur chassis is from the same seller, strange how in some cases you buy several things from the same seller. This one was listed in the Finescale section which I would have thought was the correct place to sell it and I out bid the only other bidder and there was 3 photos, unlike the other chassis which were listed in Hornby wagons section, one photo all packs detailed but the Bristol Models did not have what class they were.

Not quite a bargain, but certainly not seen in a long while was a Crownline etched kit for a GW shunter's truck. The etch was the work of John S. Marriage (who was also responsible for Crownline's County-to-City conversion pack), who I thought was far better than Paul Hill.

Anyhow, the kit was billed as a "Chariot" but is based on the Didcot example, which wasn't actually a "Chariot" at all, but a conversion from a "Mink". These shunters' trucks are a minefield!

Not quite a bargain, but certainly not seen in a long while was a Crownline etched kit for a GW shunter's truck. The etch was the work of John S. Marriage (who was also responsible for Crownline's County-to-City conversion pack), who I thought was far better than Paul Hill.

Anyhow, the kit was billed as a "Chariot" but is based on the Didcot example, which wasn't actually a "Chariot" at all, but a conversion from a "Mink". These shunters' trucks are a minefield!

Was it good value and most importantly what you wanted ?

Whilst on the not quite a bargain but excellent value, I picked up a built etched kit of a 3F from MPD in P4 gauge, it needs a slight repair (rear footplate has come un-soldered and slightly bent where the rear retaining screw was a bit to long and over tightened, also the pick up wires need attaching to the motor) But at a tad over £30 including postage well worth extra work.

Who ever owned it must have been gutted as very well made and painted. Just need to fathom out how to solder it back together without doing too much damage to the paint work. What is quite strange for an etched kit, is it was designed to take the Hornby X04 motor and has the 5 pole replacement type which sadly sticks into the back of the cab.