Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

No trouble for me viewing on Youtube, maybe your pc doesn't like visiting such places Graham :jester:

I have posted it so hopefully you can view it here

Thanks Mick (and Graham),

I hadn't noticed this clip before (I left the Stirling Single at Graham's on the Friday evening). 

The loco's now at Shildon for inspection. Though it's tender drive, I don't think that was too evident on the clip. In fact, it glides along very well. The K's tender drive is a trifle noisy, but less so in a large space. As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's the property of Dan Pinnock, is at least 30 years old and is scratch-built. I made it work (just a thorough clean and a tweak) and it really does go well now. 

• Like 2

OK, after all that recent excitement, back to the hard graft pleasurable, relaxing model-making(!)

I've now compiled a 'comprehensive' (ie far too ambitious!) 'to do' list covering the work required from now to the Grantham show in September. High up that list, is Gonerby tunnel portal and surrounding 'greenery' in order to eliminate the last area of bare baseboard at the north end.

post-16151-0-11824600-1429530419_thumb.jpg

If you recall, over the winter I had two goes at a mock-up for this and here the Mk2 version is being used to mark out the cutting dimensions to a piece of MDF.

post-16151-0-65022200-1429530432_thumb.jpg

Suitably cut out, we can try for size in intended location...

post-16151-0-53384600-1429530441_thumb.jpg

...before fitting the formers for the curved wing walls.

post-16151-0-14570000-1429530479_thumb.jpg

Now with structure added to form the basis of the tunnel lining.

post-16151-0-42808600-1429530489_thumb.jpg

And a quick clearance check - all seems well.

post-16151-0-94101900-1429530501_thumb.jpg

Here, the formers for the curved walls are being added. Also, some thin card has been used to create a template for the tunnel lining.

post-16151-0-30196700-1429530510_thumb.jpg

And here's where we're up as of the weekend. The tunnel lining is now permanently fitted (SEF English Bond plasticard) and work is proceeding on the supporting / bracing pillars.

More to follow (hopefully in short order as there is a deadline to meet for the scenery team's next visit!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of height in the tunnel bore. Even the Atlantics should go through that without trouble.

Nowt that my mini drill and white metal/brass dremel milling cutter can't sort....

:-)

Baz

• RMweb Premium

OK, after all that recent excitement, back to the hard graft pleasurable, relaxing model-making(!)

I've now compiled a 'comprehensive' (ie far too ambitious!) 'to do' list covering the work required from now to the Grantham show in September. High up that list, is Gonerby tunnel portal and surrounding 'greenery' in order to eliminate the last area of bare baseboard at the north end.

attachicon.gifIMG_3581.JPG

If you recall, over the winter I had two goes at a mock-up for this and here the Mk2 version is being used to mark out the cutting dimensions to a piece of MDF.

attachicon.gifIMG_3582.JPG

Suitably cut out, we can try for size in intended location...

attachicon.gifIMG_3583.JPG

...before fitting the formers for the curved wing walls.

attachicon.gifIMG_3586.JPG

Now with structure added to form the basis of the tunnel lining.

attachicon.gifIMG_3585.JPG

And a quick clearance check - all seems well.

attachicon.gifIMG_3587.JPG

Here, the formers for the curved walls are being added. Also, some thin card has been used to create a template for the tunnel lining.

attachicon.gifIMG_3588.JPG

And here's where we're up as of the weekend. The tunnel lining is now permanently fitted (SEF English Bond plasticard) and work is proceeding on the supporting / bracing pillars.

More to follow (hopefully in short order as there is a deadline to meet for the scenery team's next visit!

Oh yes. The answer to my Honiton Tunnel mouth shape challenge. Thank you.

P

• Like 1

Nowt that my mini drill and white metal/brass dremel milling cutter can't sort....

:-)

Baz

Isn't wonderful to get such input from a master model maker who obviously know exactly which tool to use for which job!  :jester:

Phil

Good to see all those photo's have come in useful. As for Atlantic's that don't fit, I suggest the track be lowered. It suited BR!!!!

Mind you, watching a Container train passing through the real tunnel, it is very tight, especially the big ones!!!!!

Paul 4475

Way out East

• Like 1

The cant rail and gutter on that Mk1 coach seem to be awfully close to the former for the tunnel shape. Will all versions of Gresley coach also pass without incident? Will any extra long 12 wheeled ECJS coaches ever go that way?

Jonathan has it correct - it was a slightly unfortunate positioning of the vehicle which I only realised after photo taken and I'd moved on.

I won't deny that it is a little tight in the latter reaches(!) - however, for the sort of stock normally to be seen on the Nottingham route (Howlden 6-wheelers, 45 footers and coal wagons), it's fine. Besides, the now covered in tunnel top nicely muffles the scraping of cant rails and decapitations.

12-wheelers ex-ECJS vehicles to be run up there only with special dispensation of the District Operations Superintendent. :rtfm:

• Like 6

We'd better not offer to test run Class 170 Turbostars for young lads in the future then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I need to draw up a Sectional Appendix of  what can run and where :scratchhead:

Paul 4475

Back in Blighty

• Like 2

Hi 507003

Well, it certainly looks a lot better from what I can see! Perhaps the front of the loco now deserves a fresh coast of black to match the condition of the boiler barrel?

I hope the skills you've learnt / developed will spur you on to further conversion / adaptation work in the future.

Many apologies for rather cheeky misuse of the Grantham thread, especially when the need arises from my own lack of organisation, but.....

I have a note from recent weeks regarding a request for a set of parts for a W1 conversion, but I can't locate the original request. I've a suspicion it may have appeared in the midst of one of the forum threads, such as this one. If the person who made the request would like to get back in touch with me now, I may be able to help.

Hello 507003,

As I noticed that you have been busy, I decided to get my Mountain out of the box.

Below is a picture of how it looked this morning. This is the first time it has seen daylight since the NEC last November. I lost my Modelling Mojo for the duration of the winter.

I have located all the components that need to be refitted to the body. It is too shiny for my liking, so I need to dull down the finish.

Tomorrow it will be in bits to rectify the pickups and the chassis extension which seems to have worn badly!

post-20275-0-42396700-1430315972_thumb.jpg

Paul 4475

• Like 2

Hi 4479

After taking a look at the loco I rapidly agreed that the black needed redoing and last night it was done.

Also may I ask, are the loco wheels black on BR Liveried locos

Black was the normal colour for wheels on BR locos. The only exception I can think of is the first built Peppercorn pacifics which were originally turned out in LNER apple green livery but with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on the tender (discounting any other existing locos that might have carried forward a 'Big Four' livery into 1948 prior to a BR re-paint). As the LNER livery style was apple green, lined wheels then this is what these locos carried. If you're using Brunswick Green as the basis for your livery then black would be the correct colour for your wheels. 

Mind you, as it's a neverwazza loco then you are of course free to paint the wheels whatever colour you like!

Hello 507003,

Currently, I have no idea on how much my Mountain will pull. Hopefully, we'll find out in July at the next Grantham session.

I will be looking at adding weight in the boiler above the wheels, but I have to counter act the overhang of the motor at the back first.

As for the issues you have, I know that the tender drive models would lock up at the slight hint of resistance, so it is possible that your pick ups could be applying too much pressure on the wheels. (Mine has the opposite problem on the front coupled axle!)

As for motorising a tender drive loco chassis, I have not give it any thought. The amount of work involved may be too much for the resultant gain. I have no idea if a current driven loco chassis could be made to fit under a tender drive loco body.

I would keep my eyes out for a reasonable secondhand loco drive A1,A3 or even A4 and give it a try.

If it doesn't fit at least you have another locomotive to hand

Paul 4475

Funny how localised these heavy falls of snow can be. Not a single flake on Craig's Bonsai either.

Seriously though, looking good. Well worth the effort, especially as the effort was not mine. Now where's my mug of tea.......?