• RMweb Gold

Hi James

Thanks, Yes you're right, RT models and butchered Bachmann 08s a very enjoyable build still to be completed.

More details earlier in the thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61530-downendian-details/?p=1338696

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Aah i knew id seen this somewhere! i did one myself earlier this year with Hornby ones, think it was about the same time as yours i did a blog about it and remember seeing yours somewhere on rm web. Have you thought about sound in it? i tried it with a biffo 08 chip and 2 speakers but it didnt sound right at all

Aah i knew id seen this somewhere! i did one myself earlier this year with Hornby ones, think it was about the same time as yours i did a blog about it and remember seeing yours somewhere on rm web. Have you thought about sound in it? i tried it with a biffo 08 chip and 2 speakers but it didnt sound right at all

Do please elaborate.

What did you think 'wasn't right' ?

Do please elaborate.

What did you think 'wasn't right' ?

Hi Leopardml, of course, i should have elaborated further. I couldnt put my finger on it but to me it didnt sound convincing enough, dont get me wrong Biffo chips are excellent but for me the 08 didnt dound quite right. Iv youtubed other 08 chips and i think its quite a hard sound to capture and re produce with the low rumble when power is applied, the chip sounded good but to me not characteristic enough for an 08. I tried sugar cube speaker in the master and a bigger bass speaker in the slave, the sugar cube does give amazing results for its size. I think i saw a comment on you tube on the biffo chip saying the 08 recorded wasnt in good fettle so that could be it? Ill keep an eye out for future developments but in the mean time the chips off for a re blow into a western, cant wait! Hope this explains it a bit better,its probably just me!

Have you any experience with an 08 chip?

cheers

james

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit of housekeeping this morning, especially looking at a workbench thread on a forum I used to post on. There is material there which for some reason I've not posted here, and will put that right.

First is an addition from about nine months ago on the second tooling Bachmann 40 ( the blue split box variant). If you have not done this, it is must do to get effective running. The first release had pink non-conductive grease packed around the gear train which worked its way into the pick ups and gave errant running, it is a simple task to remove the keeper plate using a flat head screwdriver towards the fuel tank end of the bogie. The large amount of pinkish grease can be seen on the keeper plate.

post-6925-0-40137500-1419763143_thumb.jpg

The excess grease was removed with tissue paper soaked in IPA and then the gear train similarly treated and then lubricated with conductive grease.

post-6925-0-99818000-1419763161_thumb.jpg

A free running model then results. Both of my split box 40s have been so treated.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Next up a bit more detail on the class 13 project.

I've always liked the obscure classes, one-offs, (or as below three offs) that were specific to a location, and resulted in excursions to far off areas of the country to sight these rare species. The 01s at Holyhead breakwater, the lone 05 at Ryde IOW, and the three Tinsley sisters, the class 13s. With most BR diesels in my fleet now, a few obscure shunters are needed "for the set".

Intrigued by the Olivia's trains class 13 offering I decided to give it a go. Spent the last couple of months accruing the required bits and pieces off the bay, including cheap Bachmann 08s. With the RT models class 13 kit bought, I settled on the Bachmann model as donor, although it is recommended to use the Hornby model. I'd plumped on 13 002 just after TOPS renumbering, so a pair of green outside framed, flush doored 08s were obtained. One was cheap because it "clicked", so always looking for a bargain I won it and decided a complete strip down would solve the problem. It was smothered in grease, but despite a lengthy clean up this did not resolve the problem, so further exploration into its innards was required. Basically the whole thing was dismantled (which it has to be in any case as I wanted it to be the donor for the slave unit), and I discovered the problem, a split nylon drive gear. A quick email to Bachmann's excellent service department and a replacement 08 wheelset is on its way to me, complete with yellow con rods- saving me a job painting the red ones that came with the model.

First task is to remove the cab, and razor saw off the cab bulkhead, which having invested in a decent razor saw was a rapid job with very straight cut and minimum flash. It's all filed and sanded, and offered the etch to the body. For some reason the etch extends out beyond the compressor boxes beyond the former cab, and these will need gently filing back.

The core components for the slave unit for 13 002, Bachy 08 and RT models steel backplate

post-6925-0-82000400-1419767356_thumb.jpg

Attacked with Razor saw- pleased with first cut - patience is a virtue stop and check routinely that the cut is in line. This was easy as the guidelines were part of the Bachmann moulding.

post-6925-0-72122800-1419767650_thumb.jpg

The source of the mysterious click - split nylon drive gear. An easy fix with replacement wheel set from Bachmann

post-6925-0-21358200-1419767671_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The master and slave units together.

Still to be done is the respray of the RT models components to BR green, and then permanent coupling as per prototype. I will try fitting identical chips and run as a consist to start with to see how these run.

post-6925-0-12440300-1419768365_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 2

The master and slave units together.

Still to be done is the respray of the RT models components to BR green, and then permanent coupling as per prototype. I will try fitting identical chips and run as a consist to start with to see how these run.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've PM'd you re Class 13.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Some work the last weekend of the Xmas break, back to work tomorrow.

Much of yesterday was spent repairing a damaged Vitrains 37 which had been won via ebay but had received an obvious heavy knock during transit. One of the lipped lugs that holds one of the bogies in place had sheared and necessitated a strip down and cementing in place with epoxy and leaving to set rock solid for a few hours. All reassembled and unit was as good as new. The ViTrains 37s have removable noses (like Bachmann 40s) and will make fitting the Shawplan resin replacements with buffer cowlings much simpler than the Lima bodies which need a razor saw cut. Two sets of resin noses were sprayed with white primer via an airbrush yesterday afternoon, and awaiting their warning yellow top coats.

As an aside I am an avid collector of copyrighted slides of 1960s/1970s diesels (especially hydraulics) and other railway interests. Very recently there has been some superb slides appeared on ebay from that era, and I've won twenty slides (they are sold in batches of 5) in the past 24 hours. One in particular has astonished me - it's of 46 003 at Bristol Parkway on 26/2/77 - a day of infamy as it was the date of the Western Tribute rail tour - I was there across the other side of the tracks. I've yet to check my logs but look at the train - a later headcode modification class 46 (perhaps confirming the date, the first wasn't done until 1976) black grampus wagons (are they both? The leading wagon looks the wrong wheelbase?) and astonishingly a diesel brake tender. I do recall seeing them in service at Parkway, but don't remember this one, my log should prove I saw it. From my perspective this is latest date I've seen a brake tender in service.

At least this will give me the identity of my forthcoming GBL peak conversion, and let's hope the Hornby magazine tender is a good one.

post-6925-0-92780500-1420374864_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

Much of yesterday was spent repairing a damaged Vitrains 37 which had been won via ebay but had received an obvious heavy knock during transit. One of the lipped lugs that holds one of the bogies in place had sheared and necessitated a strip down and cementing in place with epoxy and leaving to set rock solid for a few hours. All reassembled and unit was as good as new. The ViTrains 37s have removable noses (like Bachmann 40s) and will make fitting the Shawplan resin replacements with buffer cowlings much simpler than the Lima bodies which need a razor saw cut. Two sets of resin noses were sprayed with white primer via an airbrush yesterday afternoon, and awaiting their warning yellow top coats.

As an aside I am an avid collector of copyrighted slides of 1960s/1970s diesels (especially hydraulics) and other railway interests. Very recently there has been some superb slides appeared on ebay from that era, and I've won twenty slides (they are sold in batches of 5) in the past 24 hours. One in particular has astonished me - it's of 46 003 at Bristol Parkway on 26/2/77 - a day of infamy as it was the date of the Western Tribute rail tour - I was there across the other side of the tracks. I've yet to check my logs but look at the train - a later headcode modification class 46 (perhaps confirming the date, the first wasn't done until 1976) black grampus wagons (are they both? The leading wagon looks the wrong wheelbase?) and astonishingly a diesel brake tender. I do recall seeing them in service at Parkway, but don't remember this one, my log should prove I saw it. From my perspective this is latest date I've seen a brake tender in service.

At least this will give me the identity of my forthcoming GBL peak conversion, and let's hope the Hornby magazine tender is a good one.

Neil

Great photo Neil, I have seen a photo recently of a brake tender in use in the Westbury area in the 70's, but amazed they were still in use so late.

• RMweb Gold

As I posted yesterday in the Hornby magazine brake tender thread, I've consulted my logs for 26th February 1977. I saw 46 003 between 0900-1230 in the morning at Bristol Parkway, the same time period that the Western Tribute rail tour passed through on the Paddington to Swansea leg. So the photo appears genuine - a brake tender in service early in 1977.

46003 was working Westbound, I presume that lots of other photos of this train are out there as the lines that day were packed with photographers waiting for D1023 and D1013.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear it look like my GBL peak project is a non-starter for conversion to 46 003 using the GBL as source model.

Shane has posted photos of it in the relevant GBL thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/?p=1733173

Issues I have with it as a source model just as a brief summary based on that photo montage.

1. Those tail lights will have to go.

2. nose seam looks a tad too high

3. Buffers attached to body, will need removing with a razor saw

4. Lack of flush glazing.

5. Almost certainly will need a total repaint.

6. No recessed scavenger fan

I have some spare Bachmann 46 shells (of 46 053 vintage) that need less work to produce the sealed beam nose variant. Will use up one of those instead to get a representation of 46 003 in 1977 condition.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Received my GBL 45 022 during the week, analysing potential this weekend, but also brought back 2 Bachmann 46 spare bodies from Plymouth to Bristol. Will start work on 46 003 this evening and post my assessment of the GBL model in this thread.

• RMweb Gold

I made a start on my representation of 46 003 yesterday evening. I pasted card roughly behind the headcode aperture and filled, leaving to set rock hard for a few hours. Then carefully removed excess with a file. This rough and ready shot is just after reinstating the nose seam using a steel ruler and scalpel. I intend to add sealed beam headlights from plastic tube, it looks too thick although correct diameter, but will reduce with a rat tail file. The GBL peak is vastly inferior to this Bachmann tooling (which lacked the nose seam). I will blend all together with the finest wet and dry I can find, taking great care not to damage the lamp brackets and rivets at the bottom of the nose.

On my work evenings I tend to do an hour RMwebbing and a bit of modelling, then some work. It's a "nice" mix I can work whilst waiting for things to set and whiles away the time whilst prodding the log fire on these cold January evenings.

post-6925-0-22105000-1421742353_thumb.jpg

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slow painful progress on the peaks.

Having several spare class 44 and 46 bodies (bought for around 99p ten years ago) the arrival of the Olivia's train etch for the bulky heavyweight grilles attached to 44009 and 44010 primed me to add these models to my fleet. Armed with a razor saw, I cut the noses off of the correct ends of a 46 and 44, and spliced on using epoxy adhesive. As the razor saw cut lost approx 1mm to each nose, I bulked the joins with filler. After several goes at this still more work to do. I've cut out the body side grilles to have "see through" etches noting of course that the 46 body has shorter "long" grilles and a larger boiler grille than the 44. Picture shows "warts and all" spliced ends with filler and sanding still in progress,

Nose seams were reintroduced on all, and where the scalpel went a wandering filler was used to repair the scar and then recut. 46003 has not progressed much more, although 2mm brass tube has arrived for me to fabricate the headlamps. Still much work to do with files, filler and wet and dry but can see the distinctive features of 44009 appearing.

Neilpost-6925-0-39921600-1424896267_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

In DaveFs thread stovepipe, completely innocently posted this image which some wise guy has posted on Flickr. He's taken a huge batch of copyright slides that were advertised early in the new year on eBay and posted them in his Flickr account. Naturally it's been reported and although I'm happy to post here for our use, unimpressed by this person to say the least especially as he is also living in Bristol.

Neil

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

A nice find. I'm trying to work out where the train is standing. Is it facing west on the Up Goods Loop? I'd suggest it has just brought a rake of empty wagons out of Patchway Tip, run round the train and is probably about to head towards either the Severn Tunnel or Bristol TM with them. In the latter case, I wonder why the train didn't go directly out of the tip towards Avonmouth, and rejoin the main line at Narroways Hill?

Both wagons are vacuum-braked Grampus; I think the light patch on the one nearer the loco tricks the eye into believing they're different.

Where are you sourcing the chassis for the Peaks from? I have a Mainline and a Bachmann body which I'd like to return to use.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

I have a number of the 8-pin class 44 chassis and some older Bachmann chassis with flywheel motor but not DCC ready. There has been some interesting PMs re the etched grilles, and better sources than the Olivia's grilles are/will be shortly available. The older Bachmann chassis have to have bufferbeams installed on them as the earlier mainline and Bachmann peaks had these moulded incorrectly onto the body. The older chassis though are less suitable because the fan grilles intrude into the mody and would need removing.

I think 46003 is on the up goods loop, the photo is taken the opposite side of the line facing the station - there was a scree embankment to climb from the road that enters Stoke Gifford yard - we used to spot there a lot while cycling to parkway.

The Flickr images are much worse than I thought - he's posted around 15 of my copyright slides. They've mostly been reported to Flickr, and disappointing because this guy is quite a local celebrity regarding Bristol history. But that does not give him the right to flout copyright laws. I will be in touch with him if they're not taken down, naturally I will and have posted many of them on here.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Update on the copyright infringement - the Flickr slides have vanished this evening.

There were a total of 20 of my slides posted, pretty angry shall we say.

Got screen grabs of them on Flickr now weighing up what to do.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit of housekeeping this morning, especially looking at a workbench thread on a forum I used to post on. There is material there which for some reason I've not posted here, and will put that right.

First is an addition from about nine months ago on the second tooling Bachmann 40 ( the blue split box variant). If you have not done this, it is must do to get effective running. The first release had pink non-conductive grease packed around the gear train which worked its way into the pick ups and gave errant running, it is a simple task to remove the keeper plate using a flat head screwdriver towards the fuel tank end of the bogie. The large amount of pinkish grease can be seen on the keeper plate.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The excess grease was removed with tissue paper soaked in IPA and then the gear train similarly treated and then lubricated with conductive grease.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A free running model then results. Both of my split box 40s have been so treated.

Neil

I've had another go at my D200 on this chassis Neil. Bachmann's design is fundamentally flawed! If you have a 3 axle bogie with no play in the axles unless the track is totally level only two of the axles will be in contact with the track at any time - the centre axle will act as a fulcrum and will nearly always be in contact with the track but no pick up on it! - and hence only 1 of the other 2 with pick ups will be actually picking up. Bonkers.

So I have put wiper pick ups on to the back of all 6 wheels on each bogie. Is fine on the bedroom floor test track but the layout is the big test - will report back next time it is up

CHeers

Phil

• Like 1