Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

Change of plans on the marches Road reincarnation,  instead of the usual side on view I’m going to take inspiration from my Canton project and do a face on layout.  Very much inspired by Shrewsbury loco shed this will be a joint affair with the midland shed to the left and a low relief 4 road western shed to the right with the coaling stage in the centre, this will give a fantastic face on view of locos and whom ever purchases it will be able to add a fiddle yard / cassette storage along the rear to drive locos out of the shed if they so wish.  This will then feel like it’s part of a huge shed complex and the viewer is stood right in the middle of it.  LNWR fixtures on the left GWR on the right.  This will provide the opportunity to have big or small LMS power stabled along side big or small GWR power just like on Shrewsbury shed.  The dimensions will be 6’ X 3’. Lots of inspection pits plus a dirty ash strewn disposal road. 
This should be a nice alternative to the usual layout style and a fabulous theatre stage for displaying locomotives.

9BD4B3C1-D184-4B2B-B85A-1F892954975F.png

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rob and I got the rails laid on Box yesterday, it’s so much easier to lay sleepers and ballast before the rails are laid! A fairly light weathering has been applied using masking tape a blast of Howes weathered black down the centre, once dry masking tape then laid down the centre of the track and Howes sleeper grime sprayed from a low angle, the tape is then removed and a brush soaked in thinners gently dabbed along the edges just to break up any harsh paint lines.

4802B286-AC79-4102-BDFA-5196368F0F98.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Meanwhile at St Stephen’s I posed one of the new MBR 🌲 trees in place, the final part of the track plan has been drawn up for Haskins Hill,  when you get down to the lowest point and look up at the hill it’s an imposing piece, the trains them selves are dwarfed by the surrounding landscape. 

ECB25A95-7BF3-4184-A94D-4E71E7DA45D8.jpeg

55E83A0B-DBFA-42C5-9537-C0DFB0282188.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, CME and Bottlewasher said:

That signal box is gorgeous Stephen - can you remind me of the kit manufacturer please. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Martin

Intentio model railway’s laser cut, 

superb kits Martin 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, ianwales said:

Hi Steve

Apologies if its been asked before, but, what is the origin of the Austerity signalbox in 7mm?

Hi 

so this one is from Intentio models,  it pre dates the ARP austerity boxes as it was a new Art Deco design used at Paddington, Cardiff and Bristol. Beautiful kit to build,  They also do the ARP box that you may have seen on my old Severn Tunnel East layout 

3AC71050-BE05-4B58-BE08-40CB1A40CFB2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

More progress on the coaling stage for marches road,  the painters have gone a little overboard on the chocolate and cream! I think that’s down to regional rivalries,  it’ll get a liberal coating of dirt and hopefully I’ve got some nice 3D printed bits coming for it as well.  We have to assume that there’s a much larger mechanical coal hoist around the back of the shed and this one was built to serve the GW top link locos as they liked to trim their own coal and not have it smashed to bits when dropped from the mechanical hoist.

5E1F68F0-026E-4675-98F9-B4DB027436FF.jpeg

02ABC810-A2F7-48AA-9522-51F89E8CD591.jpeg

• Like 11

A little more planning on Marches road, My dad had a few building left over from his Bristol Bath road project and I’ve come home with the office block, it’s been cut to fit this board and is now undergoing some TLC, I think I can reprieve it. 

5B7CAF50-CEF2-499A-A0A0-9DDBFC7DCBD1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1