Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

Cant beat natural sunlight for photography. This one will be sold on now. I’ve got a commission to do a diorama of Box tunnel plus finish off Westbourne bridge so it can be delivered to the customer, finish Canton by July for our first show and another project that I’ll tell you all about shortly.

206880CA-B8A8-45CD-B82E-AED8C4135AC1.jpeg

16367730-D5FC-4D2B-816D-DF1C437F18F7.jpeg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

I’ve made the decision to start stripping Sonning of all useable materials,  I’ve not had any interest in selling it and I can’t finish it and store it in the hope it does sell. The track boards I may make into a pair of dioramas and sell them on. So to use up the mountain of scenics, trees and signals I have so far I’m going to make a new project; 
“Devonshire Bank” will be 12’ long 2 1/2 or 3’ wide on three boards, no straight track on this one it will be a nice sweeping S bend which is being drawn up and printed out. Two tunnel mouths have been ordered from Skytrex and are on the way. Two tunnel mouths at either end one end known locally as Hasking’s Hill will be set in a deep rock cutting and heavily wooded using up the trees from Sonning, it will drop off into a valley with the railway on an embankment with maybe a branch line underneath, ( whilst this would provide some good photo options it may be to cramped so that’s to be decided. The other end will rise back up into a shallower cutting into Holloway tunnel.  I will build the track boards level but hopefully get the feel that it is on a bank. No buildings or anything to set the region as by removing the GW signals and replacing with another companies will hopefully increase it saleability once complete. C&L bull head track
will be used again so it’s not tied to any particular time period. 
Hopefully construction will start next week and be finished mid spring time.803049DC-447A-49C7-82C2-AEF8D25C7062.jpeg.56d5affe900188eb80c340aff66ed7a7.jpegA368E9DC-03A6-436D-BF3B-D396A95DA94D.jpeg.bde970edbc0bb4f0942f0674f1f6d587.jpeg4D05E06D-F823-4091-9F1E-064BB58C0621.jpeg.3eae9c27807b8e371631d609e57e5cd8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Painting and weathering on the two tunnels for Devonshire Bank, Starting with Holloway tunnel after a coat of BR Bauxite I picked out various blocks in differing shades and left to dry over night,  then a grey wash and a seal then on to the Matt black wash, seal again and then the dry brushing.  Powders will be next.  I’ll have to make up some wing walls from Slaters large dress stone.  
Then Devonshire Tunnel, Cream mortar added to the engineers blue then a second coat of the various grey shades and seal then a grey wash, seal and a black wash and seal and some dry brushing, powders will be added as well.

F3F86469-C0CC-49D1-AABC-D8EEF0022FDE.png

42944AB2-CBDA-4C3A-BFE3-28BCDA7C5AA7.png

• Like 11

The Skytrex tunnel mouth comes with a pair of buttresses that you have to attach. They don’t marry up exactly and I didn’t fancy trying to sand the edges as I’ve no idea what type of resin they’ve used plus it wouldn’t really achieve much, I’ve used super glue where the joint was tight and no nails adhesive where it wasn’t. The joints at the top have been disguised with some growth, Mininatur Ivy on the left and Heki clump foliage on the right. This mouth will be set in a deep cutting so I will add more growth once I bed it in place. One of Jon Fitness super signals guards the entrance. I’m not sure if I will plant the signal here or slightly out of the cutting yet. I’ll get a better feel once I’ve made up the base boards.

FE638383-0FB1-4C5A-83BC-657AD246CEA6.png

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Nice work Steve. Always sad to see a layout broken up, but needs must, a good halfway house is to use the constituent parts though.

It is sad and it would have been great to finish it off for someone who had the room for it.  I will be using as much of Sonning as I can especially the scenics in this new project 

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 13/02/2022 at 21:54, steve fay said:

It is sad and it would have been great to finish it off for someone who had the room for it.  I will be using as much of Sonning as I can especially the scenics in this new project 

It is sad - If I had a through garage layout I would have loved it Steve - great to hear that you'll be using goodly chunks of the layout.

• Like 1

I’ve made a start on the rock cutting for Devonshire Bank,  carving, shaping and sanding styrofoam sheets.  This is the Haskins hill end and will be heavily wooded.  Still lots more to do yet with plenty more growth to be added.

D70E827B-5BCE-4F4E-A59A-777D4CE5CF07.jpeg

• Like 11

On 17/02/2022 at 17:08, steve fay said:

I’ve made a start on the rock cutting for Devonshire Bank,  carving, shaping and sanding styrofoam sheets.  This is the Haskins hill end and will be heavily wooded.  Still lots more to do yet with plenty more growth to be added.

D70E827B-5BCE-4F4E-A59A-777D4CE5CF07.jpeg

That looks fantastic Stephen, reminds me of Dove Holes. Just wondering do you ever do anything of a more modern Ilk?

• Like 1