Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2022 at 20:24, steve fay said:

I’ve had this little Dapol pannier tucked away for some time now, 7714 with sound.  It’s destined for Cardiff Canton so I thought I’d choose a local loco 7724 of Pontypool Road shed 86G, however she was a top feed fitted loco and had different tank fillers to the ones fitted.  Warren Shephard castings added along with new steam, vac pipes, smoke box door dart and steam lance cock. Next job is to bend some wire for the top feed pipe then prime it and spray Halfords satin black.  

461619E5-729E-4802-B17F-A2A2C399721B.png

Interesting. I'm doing either 7715 or perhaps 7709 so I don't have to change the injectors to the type running round the outside of the footplate. I picked up a Dapol top feed spare which has the tank top pipes attached but I do need to do the thick ones on the tank sides.

For once, the Dapol totem is in the right place for my loco - then I noticed mine is one of the rare ones with right facing lion!

• Like 2

Norton Saint Somers is packed away for a few months but will return in the spring. 
so it’s back on with Marches Road as it needs to be completed by the end of the month, I’ve glued on the buildings on the midland side and bedding them in with a little sand and over on the western side the track was completed earlier and the base layer of sand is down.  

79D8F0F9-D55E-4F87-8D6C-72ABAE8AD88E.png

7B2CE20B-ABF8-44CC-9638-974A35DD8AF2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, steve fay said:

Norton Saint Somers is packed away for a few months but will return in the spring. 
so it’s back on with Marches Road as it needs to be completed by the end of the month, I’ve glued on the buildings on the midland side and bedding them in with a little sand and over on the western side the track was completed earlier and the base layer of sand is down.  

79D8F0F9-D55E-4F87-8D6C-72ABAE8AD88E.png

7B2CE20B-ABF8-44CC-9638-974A35DD8AF2.jpeg

Lovely work. Who's track is that Steve? How do you find the wood and plastic construction (is heavy duty solvent used)? How does it cope with damp ballast?

Thanks in advance.

M😊👍

That’s hand built using Intentio’s laser cut sleepers, exactoscale &  C&L chairs and rail, I use mekpak to bond the chairs down and a dab of super glue every so often,  I’ve used this method a lot and not had any issues with damp or glue whilst ballasting.  

Made the most of the sunshine today to progress the western side of the shed, water cranes installed along with lamps, ground cover pretty much complete, next job is to add the mortar to the brick work and get the buildings firmly fixed in place.

B3D15C92-561E-41D7-8DAF-133B2A0F608F.jpeg

BC700CD3-B2A8-4FC5-9814-8EC13A493217.jpeg

996220EC-88B5-4106-B5F4-B558BC16C056.jpeg

4A617D9E-986B-46FF-8F5E-E2F1F67E9105.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Marches road A back story 

Both the LNWR and GWR chose the same spot to construct their engine shed facilities, Giving that they both had equal operational powers on the joint line and their own lines that radiated away from the area, The shed operated as separate entities up until the 1930’s when making use of the loans and guarantees act the LMS and GW used a joint proposal to modify the shed and rid it of some of the more outdated structures,  the biggest change seen the GWR coaling stage demolished and the 55’ turntable removed and a new mechanical coal hoist and 70’ turntable built,  this was to allow the largest of the LMS Pacific’s to be turned and serviced, The rear part of the shed was very much a joint area of responsibility from that point on, however the GW used part of the loan to construct a new austere type of coaling stage at the front of the shed principally to coal it’s top link locomotives as the GW liked to keep its coal from getting damaged and broken up to much as often happened whilst using the mechanical hoist now installed.  Thus provided a physical boundary between the shed fronts and a set of steps had to be installed so staff could access either side of the shed.  In the immediate post Nationalisation years the status quo remained and marches road had two shed foreman’s and when the BR painters arrived at the shed they set about repainting using the new chocolate and cream on the western side and Midland maroon on the midland side.  Part way through this a staff reorganisation came about after a BR inspection found that whilst the shed had good facilities the moral was low due to regional rivalries and a new single shed foreman was introduced and the shed finally became one entity.  Regional colours had been dropped and a greater sense of cooperation promoted. From that point Western locos and midland locos used either side of the shed and it became possible to see a Princess ex works off Crewe shed along side an Old Oak King both being serviced together.  
This layout / powered diorama is 6’ x 3’ about the size of a single bed which is how most of us start out in modelling with a board on our childhood bed. What this layout does is showcase a collection of locomotives and that’s exactly what the customer wants.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 13/11/2022 at 14:46, steve fay said:

Made the most of the sunshine today to progress the western side of the shed, water cranes installed along with lamps, ground cover pretty much complete, next job is to add the mortar to the brick work and get the buildings firmly fixed in place.

B3D15C92-561E-41D7-8DAF-133B2A0F608F.jpeg

BC700CD3-B2A8-4FC5-9814-8EC13A493217.jpeg

996220EC-88B5-4106-B5F4-B558BC16C056.jpeg

4A617D9E-986B-46FF-8F5E-E2F1F67E9105.jpeg

Steve, it's not right you keep posting photos of the real thing and passing it off as your modelling 🤔🤔🤔😳😄😄👍✌️💜

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Getting very near the finish line now at Marches Road, extra little details being added and all the buildings now bedded in place. 
The challenge I set myself on this one as I’ve done a few sheds was how can I make a large engine shed in just 6’ x 3’ and have 10 to 15 locos on shed comfortably.  As a showcase for locos I think it will be superb.

A29F690E-977E-4A86-B991-8207034A8D44.png

68846AA8-0395-4483-9C5E-BAA5C190D77F.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...