• RMweb Gold

Hi thought I'd start a thread on my weathering, which is by no means the best but having had some compliments on my layout thread I thought I'd put one on here, basically to get advice or maybe even inspire people to have a go themselves. I mostly use powders but I sometimes build up the courage and use the airbrush. I model in oo gauge but I'm recently weathering my old n gauge locos for a friend. A couple of pics below of some of my work so far but please feel free to comment good or bad and give advice. Hope you all like it.

Cheers

Paul

post-18716-0-40281200-1392359690_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-45901600-1392359703_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-92085000-1392359802_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-29825100-1392359857_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-30108100-1392359890_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Some nice touches there
I particularly like the blue 08
You've got a nice tone to the grime on that....

I often use a mixture of airbrushing, dry brushing and weathering powders
I find airbrushing alone can make the weathering look a little "flat"

I too am a fan of weathering powders
How do you apply yours?

I tend to apply some overall, and wipe or brush the excess away,
and in some areas I apply dabs of clear matt varnish,
and sprinkle some powders on - to give a slightly "bubbly" relief to rusty spots

Nice work

Cheers
Marc

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc

Thanks for the compliments, the blue 08 is one of my favourites up to now and I'm surprised how good it looks considering it's n gauge and so small.

I use it similar to you, I tend to dampen the model then apply the powder, then using a brush an baby bud to dust and rub some off, I then seal it in the usual way with matt varnish using the air brush. For the bogies etc I tend to paint them matt black with a brush and whilst still wet add some black an dark earth powder this tends to give that built up oily grimy look. I like your idea of varnish brushed on then powder added.

I finished my 37 the other day but haven't took proper photos of it so I'll try and get done more of my work on here soon. I'm also going to be weathering a br blue ngauge 37 so I'll pist done pics of the progress at each stage.

Glad you liked the pics and thanks again.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the compliments chaps.

I'll try and put some more photos of my work on later today or tomorrow at the latest. Since I've done the n gauge 08 I really really want one in oo. The Bachmann ones run better imho but the Hornby ones are better detailed. Oh well will have to save some penny's up!

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Haven't had time to take any photos today but I've got a full day to myself tomorrow so I'll put some in as promised, the n gauge 08 will be completely finished tomorrow and ready to be in its way to its new owner. Below is a pic (some of you guys have prob seen it already on my layout thread) of my 37 which has been lowered, detailed, sound fitted and weathered over the last few weeks, sorry it's not the best pic but more to follow tomorrow. Two shots below are before and after.

Cheers Paul

post-18716-0-21731100-1392493593_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-38202700-1392493619_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi

Haven't had time to take any photos today but I've got a full day to myself tomorrow so I'll put some in as promised, the n gauge 08 will be completely finished tomorrow and ready to be in its way to its new owner. Below is a pic (some of you guys have prob seen it already on my layout thread) of my 37 which has been lowered, detailed, sound fitted and weathered over the last few weeks, sorry it's not the best pic but more to follow tomorrow. Two shots below are before and after.

Cheers Paul

nice work on the cl 37. what techniques did you use to achieve the look ?

i use washes and can often get a nice finish to bodysides, but can never get the yellow nose ends to look good, they often end up with too heavy a weathering

dave

Hi

Cheers Paul

is that the 37 that started off as a marker lights instead of centre head code box that you've converted

Brian

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Gold

nice work on the cl 37. what techniques did you use to achieve the look ?

i use washes and can often get a nice finish to bodysides, but can never get the yellow nose ends to look good, they often end up with too heavy a weathering

dave

Hi Dave

I used railmatch roof dirt on the roof (obvious I suppose) using the airbrush, then I used powders in the roof and on the sides, I tend to brush it on then rub in with my finger into the various grills etc. I tend to use blacks and earth colours, I then sealed it, I then used a fibre pen an just rubbed down the body till I was happy with the look. I know what you mean about the yellow nose ends, I tend to just cover them in the powders or paint and use the the same method of rubbing it off with the fibre pen. I'll put a photo on of my 40's nose it's just not the best photo sorry but hopefully will give you an idea of what I mean.

I've not tried doing washes as I'm not very clued up on doing them, I'll have to give it a go though.

Pics of the 40 below Dave, thanks again for the compliments.

Cheers Paul

post-18716-0-94093300-1392497788_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-49488100-1392497799_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

is that the 37 that started off as a marker lights instead of centre head code box that you've converted

Brian

Sorry Brian missed this post, it started off as domino headcode, pic below, it's the same as the n gauge 37 I'm starting next week. On the oo gauge though the headcode just pops out do it's easily to stick head codes over the dots, not sure what the Graham Farish 37 it like but I'm sure I'll find out soon ;)

Cheers

post-18716-0-13104500-1392499036_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry Brian missed this post, it started off as domino headcode, pic below, it's the same as the n gauge 37 I'm starting next week. On the oo gauge though the headcode just pops out do it's easily to stick head codes over the dots, not sure what the Graham Farish 37 it like but I'm sure I'll find out soon ;)

Cheers

very nicely done and can't wait to see you work on the 37 ,but don't forget to get them point motors fitted .lol

Brian

• RMweb Gold

very nicely done and can't wait to see you work on the 37 ,but don't forget to get them point motors fitted .lol

Brian

Ha ha yer I know, it defo needs to be fitted tomorrow as nothing's been done in ages, I'm getting carried away in weathering etc, maybe I should just buy a pre built layout :) but I suppose there's no fun in that. I was thinking earlier when I get to the ballasting stage I'll put some pictures of track an ballast weathering on this thread, but think that could be a long time off!

Paul

Hi again Paul,
Some really nice work here
Just as an aside, there was once a thread on here
re class 37 headcodes and weathering....

Basically, before the use of Domino headcodes
i.e. - when they actually used the headcodes for their intended purpose
You often saw a clear patch on the yellow, just below the headcode panel

This was particularly evident in Wales, where 37's got filthy on coal and other such duties...
Depot staff used to wash the headcode with a brush and water, so the code could be read by signalmen
So the locos often ended up with a clear streak, just below....
I've seen photos of 37's in other areas in this condition too

Just a thought - might be worth giving it a go?
I haven't seen anyone else weather a 37 in that way...

PS. Which colour / brands of powder did you use on that 08?
I do like the tone of it

Cheers again
Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi again Paul,

Some really nice work here

Just as an aside, there was once a thread on here

re class 37 headcodes and weathering....

This was particularly evident in Wales, where 37's got filthy on coal and other such duties...

Depot staff used to wash the headcode with a brush and water, so the code could be read by signalmen

PS. Which colour / brands of powder did you use on that 08?

I do like the tone of it

Cheers again

Marc

Thanks Marc

I was thinking it looked a bit dirty on the front, I'll be cleaning it up tonight thanks for the info it's exactly what I'm after so I can get them looking as real as possible. I know on my 47 I've cleared a patch on the side were it's had its boiler toped up with water, and the spilt water has washed away the dirt. I'll put some photos on tonight of the cleaned front 37 and of the 47, as there's non on here yet of the 47 and that was my first weathering job!

I use carrs powders dark greys and blacks with some light and dark earth. The colour came together as a bit if a mistake, it was when all the brushed off powders where brushed into a tub after my first weathering attempt and mixed together and when I looked at it it just looked really good. I tend to use this as a base to the weathering but depending on the type of loco I add more of other colours, so with the 08 I added more black to give that oily look. Hope that helps, and thanks for the info.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

The n gauge 08 is soon to be off to it's (hopefully pleased) owner so thought I'd put two last photos on of it, bit tricky to detail so had to just use thin brass wire and paint it for the vacuum pipes at one end. I must admit I've really enjoyed weathering this one and it wasn't as tricky as I though it would be considering the size.

Cheers

post-18716-0-73373600-1392634656_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-72690200-1392634667_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Do you weather using reference photos or just go with what looks right?

Duncan

Hi Duncan

I tend to just go with what I think looks right, I'll look at photos just to get a general idea of where the muck, grime and oil should be, but I think it's sometimes easier just doing what you think looks right and what your happy with. What I like and think looks good someone else might not. I was thinking about this question the other day because I know a lot if modellers out there use photos of the exact loco their weathering, and it does help but that same loco could go through a rain shower in the next hour and it would look completely different.

Hope that helps and thanks for the questions :)

Paul

Also made a start on the n gauge 37, I've given the bogies and tanks a coat of weathered black then brushed black and dark earth powder over the wet paint.

Paul

Can you explain the 'black and earth powder over the wet' method please? How quickly do you have to apply the powder before the paint dries? Or do you adjust the paint so it takes longer to dry?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lightengine

I just brush weathered black or matt black (depending what I've got) acrylic paint onto the bogies, and then basically straight away brush on black weathering powder with a large soft brush, a soft make up brush is ideal to if it's not to big. I then add and work a little brown earth powder into the bogies to, I tend to apply this more to the front of the bogies as the rear of them always looks more oily and dirty. I sometimes use a mix of black and dark grey powder, but I tend to just play around till it looks right. This could be done with any colour powder though rust etc, depending on the look you want.

I just repeat this in the tanks and the rest of the under frame, then after 5 min or so a repeat it on the other side. The paint tends to dry with the powder stuck to it and gives it a feeling of built up dirt. It can ten be sealed with matt varnish with the airbrush to make sure but most of the time it's stuck very well. Just don't over do the powders otherwise you end up cleaning the wheels for ages afterwards.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi again Paul,

Cheers again

Marc

Hi Marc

I got to work on the front of the 37 when I got in and removed some of the grime so looks like it's had a bit of a wash, some before and after pics, excuse the broken cable on the front, time to get the glue out!!

Cheers

post-18716-0-60597400-1392656742_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-25476900-1392656756_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-02619600-1392656768_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-38590800-1392656779_thumb.jpg

• Like 5