A60/62 deliveries from Craven's to London Transport?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering how the A60/62's travelled from Craven's in Sheffield to London Transport.  The logical suggestion would be that they travelled via the GC with it's wider loading gauge direct to Neasden?

If that's the way they travelled south, love to see a picture or three of them being towed by a B1 or Black 5 lol.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Great pics of the 83 stock being moved but totally out my time frame.  I have bought some Bachmann GC buildings (just need the waiting room) and want to use them when the GC was still complete.  I thought it would be great to have a set of A60 stock being dragged south. 

As the Cravens factory was on the GC in Darnall, just thought the obvious choice would be down the GC for delivery.

Julian Sprott

Just been chatting with a couple of my ex-colleagues from LUL and they know that the A stock was delivered to Ruislip Depot, commissioned and then test tripped between Ruislip Depot and North Acton. The (Central Line) was in gauge for it. Then they were transferred from Ruislip to Neasden  via North Acton, Ealing Broadway, Acton Town and Rayners Lane.

no

They are not sure about how they got there, but the assumption is the same as yours, via the GC, turning right at Aylesbury then to West Ruislip via High Wycombe and a shunt from WR into Ruislip Depot

HTH

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I'm almost certain that they used the GC. When they were refurbished a few years ago they had to go by road as the original line used for delivery had been closed. Best to ask your question on the 'District Dave' forum as someone on there is bound to know.

• RMweb Gold

Just been chatting with a couple of my ex-colleagues from LUL and they know that the A stock was delivered to Ruislip Depot, commissioned and then test tripped between Ruislip Depot and North Acton. The (Central Line) was in gauge for it. Then they were transferred from Ruislip to Neasden  via North Acton, Ealing Broadway, Acton Town and Rayners Lane.

no

They are not sure about how they got there, but the assumption is the same as yours, via the GC, turning right at Aylesbury then to West Ruislip via High Wycombe and a shunt from WR into Ruislip Depot

HTH

Tony

I would be surprised if they came over the branch fromAylesbury - one of the 'main line' routes would seem to have been far more likely unless there was a specific route restriction of some sort.

Exactly right they travelled south via brackley, Calvert, Akeman street and via high Wycombe to ruislip for commissioning.

The refurb journey from Neasden took place via Aylesbury to P Risboro and then north via Bicester. I remember the runs being hauled by class 37s

• RMweb Premium

Delivered via the GC to West Ruislip but not hauled by steam.   

Strange to think now that not only did LT stock once regularly appear on a now-vanished main line but that the A-stock itself has all gone from service and almost all has already left London for recycling into ...... whatever.

• RMweb Gold

Delivered via the GC to West Ruislip but not hauled by steam.   

Strange to think now that not only did LT stock once regularly appear on a now-vanished main line but that the A-stock itself has all gone from service and almost all has already left London for recycling into ...... whatever.

I have wondered about the 'not delivered by steam' bit since seeing the original suggestion that Brush Type 2s were used.  Has anyone got definite information on that because the only diesel working I can think of on the GC London Extension at that time on the northern section were EE Type 3s on the York -Bournemouth workings and they came off at Banbury.  I do wonder if there were any men who knew Brush Type 2s and knew the road via Akeman Street? 

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it must have been part of the contract to move the A Stock with diesel haulage rather than steam as A Stock is air braked.  It could have been hauled as a unfitted freight but there might have been several Tinsley Class 31's air braked to work this train?

Julian Sprott

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is a picture in Steam Memories 1950's and 1960's Great Central Lines of a some A stock passing Bagthorpe Junction (just outside Nottingham) on the GC. The stock is being pulled by B16/3 61463 of York.

Rob

I have wondered about the 'not delivered by steam' bit since seeing the original suggestion that Brush Type 2s were used.  Has anyone got definite information on that because the only diesel working I can think of on the GC London Extension at that time on the northern section were EE Type 3s on the York -Bournemouth workings and they came off at Banbury.  I do wonder if there were any men who knew Brush Type 2s and knew the road via Akeman Street? 

In the last year or so of the Nottingham-Sheffield stoppers there was at least one early evening northbound which was a Brush type 2, from Darnall I presume. 

The York-Bournemouth seemed fairly random whether it turned up an EE3 or Brush 4.

Given that the A60/A62 deliveries were regular workings over quite a long period, there would undoubtedly have been a case for drivers acquiring the necessary type-training and/or route knowledge. Also given that the delivery trains were probably nominally out of gauge, some sort of dedicated training would probably have been required too.

• 1 month later...

Archived