Flangeway Salmon Bogie

rembrow

In the January 2015 issue of Hornby magazine, within the 'update' section, covering new announcements at Warley, they advise that Flangeway announced a new rtr wagon project, a Salmon bogie rail engineers wagon, which will be produced by Dapol. This is the first I'd seen of this and its not in any other magazines covering 'Warley' announcements. 

• Like 1

A welcome addition to the Flangeway stable, this.  I can see a rake making its home here, and going on earlier releases, these will no doubt come with a few different running numbers in each livery.  Engineers Black please!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

I hope they are an improvement on the Mermaid. Seems a shame when the Cambrian kit is so easy to build but then not every-one likes modelling do they.

Cheers

George

Problem partially solved, as revealed by Railway Modeller March. Flangeway are owned by Footplate (if you didn't already know this) and their website (www.footplate.co.uk) shows the full range of Flangeway products. Bizarrely however, the last time their "news" section was updated was July 13, and there is no mention of the Salmon wagons. Maybe you have to subscribe to their newsletter to get more current info?

I'd not heard of this, but if it's true, I'll be buying a few.  It's been on my wish list for a few years.

I note that Footplate are attending Model Rail Scotland this weekend, so I'll try to find the time to ask them if this is true.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Problem partially solved, as revealed by Railway Modeller March. Flangeway are owned by Footplate (if you didn't already know this) and their website (www.footplate.co.uk) shows the full range of Flangeway products. Bizarrely however, the last time their "news" section was updated was July 13, and there is no mention of the Salmon wagons. Maybe you have to subscribe to their newsletter to get more current info?

Come to Modelrail Scotland - SECC and ask them....

I'd not heard of this, but if it's true, I'll be buying a few.  It's been on my wish list for a few years.

I note that Footplate are attending Model Rail Scotland this weekend, so I'll try to find the time to ask them if this is true.

Regards

David

It is true, Derek told me some time back but there hadn't been any official press release so I wouldn't have said anything otherwise.

There should be a few variants in due course. :)

I started this thread when the model was advised in the January edition of Hornby magazine as part of their Warley new release announcements, but it was the only part of the model press that announced it, so they may have inadvertantly covered it early.

It is true, Derek told me some time back but there hadn't been any official press release so I wouldn't have said anything otherwise.

There should be a few variants in due course. :)

Thanks Andy.

I'll still try to find out what variants are likely to be produced.  I'm primarily interested in the more recent air braked variants (YSA and YWA), but I'm sure that others will prefer the older YMA or even older YMO variants.  Hopefully Flangeway will get around to producing all over the next few years.

Regards

David

but I'm sure that others will prefer the older YMA or even older YMO variants.  Hopefully Flangeway will get around to producing all over the next few years.

Let's hope so!  

Sixties/ Transition variants here please, for Beeching's aftermath.  

• Like 1

I spoke to the Flangeway representative at Model Rail Scotland earlier today and he confirmed that they do intend to produce various versions of the Salmon.   :imsohappy:  :)

There is no release date as yet because the project is still at the CAD approval stage, so the tooling has not yet been cut.  Until then they don't intend to announce an expected release date (this is possibly why there is nothing on their website and limited information in the press).  Their intention is apparently to produce models with the original short wheelbase bogies, the longer bogies and the newer / current bogies, probably in that order and a crane version is also likely to be produced.  It sounds like there will be a version to suit everyone who wants a few Salmon on their layout.

I just need to start saving for a rake.

Regards

David

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of an update on these wagons, I am most interested in the yellow ones used for engineering trains around Eastleigh with various Locos.

Flangeways did confirm via email some months ago that they have been commissioned, and I contacted Dapol for more information...

But anyone been to the shop or seen Flangeways at a show with images of the CAMs?

There must of been some progress, all very exciting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...