East Leake and Rothley Railway. Formerly Dumbarton and Rothley Station.

iankemp

Hi all

It has been a while since i have posted anything on my thread that was on the original thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7565 I have been doing a lot more since then! I have decided to do a mixure of my old haunt Toton Sidings with part of the Great Central Railway as well!

I have currently been modelling the old high level goods line bridge over the mainline that went in to the old sidings! This bridge is a bit short only by about 2 inches as it is nearly 2 and a half foot long if not a bit more! But with a bit of "modellers licence" i have made it a bit short than the real thing. Well i made it to what i thought was the right length but it wasn't. I could have made it longer by fixing it but i decided not to as it would mean having to cut through the plastic that had been glued and ruining it. So i have the bridge (if not a bit shorter than it should have been!)! I am happy with it as it is! (Or should that be i can't be bothered messing about with it!!)!!

45068Toton_190285.jpg

This is what i have been modelling

IMG437.jpg

I have nearly finished it now and i will put some more pics up soon but if you go to my thread on http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7917

You will see all that i have been doing on my layout!

COMMENT AND ENJOY!!!

Edited by iankemp
Title change
  • Like 1

Hi all

i started off by building this part of my bridge a while ago intending on finishing it and i just ended up putting it away in a box with the other bits that i have made!

MidlandStreetbridgeNewbuild6.jpg

DSC00018-1.jpg

then i decided t fetch it out and carry on with the project that i started. As they if ya gonna start something you may as well finish it! :lol:

Midlandstreetbridgebuildpart25.jpg

Midlandstreetbridgebuildpart23.jpg

Midlandstreetbridgebuildpart22.jpg

IMG437.jpg

IMG436.jpg

MidlandStreetRailwayBridgeconstruct.jpg

The Bridge is at Toton. It is now no longer in use. I am now starting on the embankment that leads off it towards the north end of the yard.

i will try and fit as much as i can in to it as well as fit the Loughborough GCR station on to the layout! The way that i am planning this is i will have the station and possibly a siding with the yard building and then it leads over the bridge on to the embankment then in to the south of Toton then there will be the bridge with the high level goods line joining on the the line mentioned. then the layout will have a few sidings (will try and fit as much as i can in though) but then the north end will go round the room and on to the south end of Loughborough! (will be easier to show you when i have drawn a plan up properly once i have got my own place again! (current situation = living at my mums!)

will post more when i have done more work on my layout to be!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

bit of a update

I have bought another 2 parkside dundas kits 21 ton hopper wagons (PC80 wagon kits) they are now made up one is painted and the other needs doing. i have repainted one of my Hornby class 25 from green to BR blue. it just needs numbering and the logo putting on. the bridge is partially painted (well the girder bits) but i have still got to do the rest of it yet. i am going to need to do the turet caps for it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All been a while here is a link for you to go straight to my photobucket account to see all the pictures of the stuff i have been doing! I have just recently converted a class 25 to a 25/3 Ethel unit!

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/iankemp/?

I have now finished it and i will soon take a pic of it with the transfers on it! It is an unpowered unit and it will be hauled around the layout (once it is up and running) by a my lima class 37 37025. And when it is unwanted it will sit in a sidings like it did once at Toton for a while before it was scrapped and cut up at Glasgow! I may decide to do the other ones at some point once i buy a couple more class 25's and the kits!

This is how the thread started out back in the day when i started the project!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7565

This thread is more up to date with what has been going off with my layout to be!

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7917

This layout has evolved from one thing to another incorporating the original idae but adding more to it like Toton and a bit of my new home up in Scotland in about 5 or 6 months time as i am having to save up and get somewhere up there so my living across the road from Toton sidings will be no more but i will still keep going over there when i come down and see family and friends and my friends at the local model railway shop Rail and Barter shop in Long Eaton!

Hi Ian,

This is a really interesting project, and I feel that this end of Toton is always neglected.

There was an awful lot going on at this end, including the WRD, and I am sure there was a small set of fuel loding/discharge siding running into what is now ASDA's car park. (which IIRC were to the right and below the front of the peak in your picture.)

I haven't seen may pictures of trains actually crossing the bridge, and I have walked over it many times in the past (you can't now as they have put pallisade fencing up).

This bridge would make a really good addition to Grimleys' Boxenby monster!

If anyone has any further pics they can add of this area it would be really informative.

Keep supplying us with updates!

Regards

Trev

Blimey, I took a walk down there only yesterday and was thinking about watching class 20's going over that bridge all them years ago. Thats a great model of the bridge your doing. Ive got a pic of 47301 in the fuel terminal from some years ago, ill have a dig around and see if i can find it.

Hi Ian,

The bridge is looking good, very nice modelling. I have just been visiting your site and you have made good progress it certainly is coming on. I can just imagine one of your Peaks passing under there on a rake of MK2s! Seeing all your Peaks makes me want to get one, I really should purchase at least one.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Hi all thanks for the comments. If any one has pics of this are it would be nice if you could put them up on here. When i was younger i sat in a class 31 when they were about to leave with a rake of Oil tankers that had just finished unloading at the oil terminal. I don't have the pic anymore unfortunately. I am going to try and fit this area in on my layout as it is an area that is neglected. I did however make one mistake though. one end is not wide enough for 2 tracks as it should be. I should really fix it but i have glued it all up now!

Hi,

Well that brought back a few memories of Toton in BR blue days. I worked there as a fitter in the 70's. Its sad to see it now as its near enogh a dumping ground for stored loco's and most of the yard lines uplifted. Its up to us modellers to show the future generations how the railways used to run because there's not much left of the real thing - is there! rant over.

You sound as though you have sizeable space for the intended layout and the bridge looks pretty good too.

Mike

Hi,

Well that brought back a few memories of Toton in BR blue days. I worked there as a fitter in the 70's. Its sad to see it now as its near enogh a dumping ground for stored loco's and most of the yard lines uplifted. Its up to us modellers to show the future generations how the railways used to run because there's not much left of the real thing - is there! rant over.

You sound as though you have sizeable space for the intended layout and the bridge looks pretty good too.

Mike

I am having the layout as a round the wall style with the bridge and the mainline on one side and Loughborough GCR Station on the other i am hoping to add some of the sidings and possibly add the oil terminal as well! but i am also gonna try and add a bit where the engines can have a good run!

Hi all

I have been re-painting my Hornby class 25 to ADB97250 Ethel 1. And i am also going to be doing 97251 Ethel 2 which is a Bachmann body and i am on the look out for a Bachmann chassis for it to go on. they have not turned out to bad.

Many thanks for posting the photos Ian, very interesting. Your photos show just how dark it is inside the shed. I really like the photo showing three peaks on one of the through roads, it makes you realise how long the shed is!

I keep thinking of buying some more locos but have to remind myself that funds are not available for stock as I need to get the shed finished first!

Thanks again much appreciated.

Hi all

I have been re-painting my Hornby class 25 to ADB97250 Ethel 1. And i am also going to be doing 97251 Ethel 2 which is a Bachmann body and i am on the look out for a Bachmann chassis for it to go on. they have not turned out to bad.

If you are looking for ETHEL 3 to complete the trio, then Bachmann released a limited edition model of it in rather striking Intercity livery a couple of years ago. Unlike the real ETHELs, it actually moves under its own power because it is still a fully functional class 25 underneath the paint job.

• Like 1

Hi yeah i will be either be doing the third Ethel unit or buy one. For the next 2 weeks i will be away from the modelling thing as i will be going to Scotland to see my fiancé and travel along the north west coast of Glasgow towards Helensborough. I am toying with the idea of adding a bit of a Scottish touch to the layout and also having overhead wires. I may have a couple of lines with over head wires but not yet sure! As said before toying with the idea! I have a class 81 and a class 86 Pheonix.

Flippin eck! I forgot how far over the WRD/sidings went (You forget now as they are just rows of silver birch trees!)

Takes me back!

yep it has changed since then! the trees were torn up by the new land owners and the residence nearby complained! The council took the new landowners to court and they were ordered to replant them! and also to take the fence down that they erected up! They were after the low grade coal that was put there by BR back in the early days! Look on the net for Toton sidings it should appear on the first page of google.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&expIds=17259,26473,27690,27698,27744,27745&xhr=t&q=Toton+Sidings&cp=6&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=e58ef3674261fa2b

just scroll down abit and you will see the articles!

Here is a bit that maybe included in the layout! it is not far from the bridge that goes over the mainline! and it leads in to the sidings that run along side the mainline!

post-1121-060239100 1290543126_thumb.jpg

And here is another picture of a peak about the same place as the other pic simular to this one!

post-1121-067195500 1290543187_thumb.jpg

and here is one for GrimleyGrid!! :D :lol: :D

post-1121-099782500 1290543228_thumb.jpg

here is the website i have found with pictures of Toton

http://www.rhdevelopment.info/imaging.centre/search/

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the photos Ian, I especially like the last one! :D

That photo makes me want to get the outside of the shed covered to see how it looks, still all in good time……Thinking about it, there is the option to change the depot doors therefore allowing the shutter doors to be replaced with those fan type ones. Sorry not sure of the correct name for them! So in theory I could take the depot back further than the late 80s……