We ran a long train last weekend

CraigZ

More pics please!

Ditch lights look cool on the lead loco - Atlas?

Thanks for the kind words.

Lead unit is a Broadway Limited AC6000.

Here's another vid taken from a camera mounted on a flat car - it's one lap of the layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=decm7RGrPxE

Mainline length was around 480 feet...running NCE DCC. The first train passed is being pulled by an Athearn Veranda turbine of mine in which I installed a QSI turbine sound decoder. Great running model but if you have one check the wheel gauge...all eight of the axles on mine were out by 0.1-0.2 mm...rather a lot.

Well Craig that is one heck of a modular layout...how many individual modules are there ??? and some dual gauge as well...plus all the crossings of tracks ....just tooooooooo much to take in in one go ...will be watching this over and over I think ...

Ps did you all just rent the building for the set up ...please do not say that is your clubroom :O ..............or I shall just give up now and take up ballroom dancing as a hobby !!!

Regards in awe ...Trevor ... :D

Well Craig that is one heck of a modular layout...how many individual modules are there ??? and some dual gauge as well...plus all the crossings of tracks ....just tooooooooo much to take in in one go ...will be watching this over and over I think ...

Ps did you all just rent the building for the set up ...please do not say that is your clubroom :O ..............or I shall just give up now and take up ballroom dancing as a hobby !!!

Regards in awe ...Trevor ... :D

Again, thanks!

# of modules...around 94 of varying lengths and radii. The "street trackage" curved module you see has a minimum radius of around 22 feet. Makes long cars look great; minimum radius on the main lines is now over 6 feet on some older curves. Lots of dual gauge, most all the diamonds are hand laid; the street trackage on that curved module is laid in girder rail and has a couple of functioning single point turnouts on the secondary trackage. We were set up at a local train show in an exhibition hall at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds; we had about 15% of the floor space available.

Thanks Craig ....

Very well done by all involved ....I do have a small idea of the organisation required all year round ...and the running for an enormous number of board joins was excellent ...

do you have a website for the group ...or the standards used ..??

once again thanks ..

Regards Trevor .. :D

It certainly makes you appreciate why there's such a difference in approach to operating between the US and UK; On a layout like that you really are taking a train from one place to another; here even the biggest layouts tend to be of one place, and watch the trains run through it...

It certainly makes you appreciate why there's such a difference in approach to operating between the US and UK; On a layout like that you really are taking a train from one place to another; here even the biggest layouts tend to be of one place, and watch the trains run through it...

Jordan - wait till you come over here later this month!! :D

What he said above, Craig!

That second video is suitably mind blowing - particularly the weird perspective shift depending on whether someone was standing by the track as the train approached......

Best, Pete.

Pete,

We will be set up not so far from you in the spring at the Timonium, Maryland show...about a four hour drive if my reckoning is good.

# of modules...around 94 of varying lengths and radii. The "street trackage" curved module you see has a minimum radius of around 22 feet. Makes long cars look great; minimum radius on the main lines is now over 6 feet on some older curves. Lots of dual gauge, most all the diamonds are hand laid; the street trackage on that curved module is laid in girder rail and has a couple of functioning single point turnouts on the secondary trackage. We were set up at a local train show in an exhibition hall at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds; we had about 15% of the floor space available.

Hang on a sec! 94 modules set up especially? That equates to 40 foot container lorry, doesn't it?

Hang on a sec! 94 modules set up especially? That equates to 40 foot container lorry, doesn't it?

Well...there is a LOT of railroad moving around. A good bit of the layout travels in a 22' two axle trailer; much of the rest in an old school bus that's about 40 feet long. What's not in those gets into hired trailers. The modules fit in wheeled carriers, two modules face to face on edge. The carriers clamp on the ends. A pair of eight foot long modules is thus a bit over 8 feet long, about 34 inches tall (due to wheels on the carriers) and about 20-24 inches "thick". Here's a photo of one in its carrier; another would go in facing it http://s-ss4.home.mi...0Mattar%20Photo . Makes them fairly compact, easy to move, and with the lightweight construction we use, easy to lift.

Keep in mind that there's less than 12 of us setting these layouts up...there's more info in Kalmbach's Great Model Railroads 2008 which features timely photos from back in 2001 if I recall. Also info on the web page about the lightweight construction, flush ends and banquet table leg system we use. Clubs using slide-in legs and 9" pieces of bridge track freak out when they see us roll the modules in on wheeled carriers, unclamp the carriers and have exactly two guys stand the module up on its swing down legs, then use the wheels on the legs to roll the module where it needs to be. The modules slide together with alignment pins, use C-clamps underneath to connect mechanically and trailer plugs for electrical. Fast! And the "experts" insist our methods won't work... laugh.gif

Dead link I am afraid.

see us roll the modules in on wheeled carriers, unclamp the carriers and have exactly two guys stand the module up on its swing down legs, then use the wheels on the legs to roll the module where it needs to be. The modules slide together with alignment pins, use C-clamps underneath to connect mechanically and trailer plugs for electrical. Fast! And the "experts" insist our methods won't work... laugh.gif

I think we would all like to see this

Well...there is a LOT of railroad moving around. A good bit of the layout travels in a 22' two axle trailer; much of the rest in an old school bus that's about 40 feet long. What's not in those gets into hired trailers. The modules fit in wheeled carriers, two modules face to face on edge. The carriers clamp on the ends. A pair of eight foot long modules is thus a bit over 8 feet long, about 34 inches tall (due to wheels on the carriers) and about 20-24 inches "thick". Here's a photo of one in its carrier; another would go in facing it http://s-ss4.home.mi...0Mattar%20Photo . Makes them fairly compact, easy to move, and with the lightweight construction we use, easy to lift.

Keep in mind that there's less than 12 of us setting these layouts up...there's more info in Kalmbach's Great Model Railroads 2008 which features timely photos from back in 2001 if I recall. Also info on the web page about the lightweight construction, flush ends and banquet table leg system we use. Clubs using slide-in legs and 9" pieces of bridge track freak out when they see us roll the modules in on wheeled carriers, unclamp the carriers and have exactly two guys stand the module up on its swing down legs, then use the wheels on the legs to roll the module where it needs to be. The modules slide together with alignment pins, use C-clamps underneath to connect mechanically and trailer plugs for electrical. Fast! And the "experts" insist our methods won't work... laugh.gif

There is a full article on the construction of these module boards in the April 2009 Model Railroader.....very clever way of building boards ...thought it rang a bell.. ;)

Regards Trevor... :D

There is a full article on the construction of these module boards in the April 2009 Model Railroader.....very clever way of building boards ...thought it rang a bell.. ;)

*smacks forehead*

I'd forgotten about that article...yeesh. Thanks for remembering it!

Archived