Dapol class 153

grahame

• RMweb Gold

I keep meaning to email Dapol, as their website news said:

Released initially in East Midlands Trains, Regional Railways and Central Trains both as powered and non powered units

yet the back page advert on Model Rail lists East Midlands, Central and London Midland in the text, but the photo has Regional Railways and not London Midland.

Hattons also list East Mids, Central and London Midland.

I'm guessing the RR one is amongst the initial batch instead of London Midland?

Dapol do seem to have been a bit confused about their modern liveries and operator names, on the 156 for example. All the released liveries have been accurate as far as I know, just not necessarily the ones you might have expected from the catalogue or other announcements!

Got to say it looks the part! Liveries look pretty good on the whole, and impressive to see variation between the original IOo light clusters on the EMT unit, and the later LED marker type on the other two. Am I the only one worried about the shade of the warning panels though? They look very lemony, much like the 156s

cheers

jo

As Nigel says it does look cute but there is a fundamental flaw - it's got no lower body-side tumblehome. The bottom

tuck under is missing giving an incorrect slab sided look. Nonetheless, the prototype curvature isn't massive and I'm

sure that it will be another success for Dapol. Now where's the 86, 58 and 43 HST125............. I'm looking forward

to them.

G.

They do look to be a very nice unit. Shame there is no livery suitable for my purposes!

A nice FGW version would be very welcome Dapol - pretty please!!

Anyone know if any of EMT, CT or LM units have wondered down to the south west on loan......?

Hey, need an excuse to get atleast one!

Right, back to packing stock for Warley!

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, hadn't noticed that but when you look at photos of the real thing it's quite an obvious omission!

Tom.

As Nigel says it does look cute but there is a fundamental flaw - it's got no lower body-side tumblehome. The bottom

tuck under is missing giving an incorrect slab sided look. Nonetheless, the prototype curvature isn't massive and I'm

sure that it will be another success for Dapol. Now where's the 86, 58 and 43 HST125............. I'm looking forward

to them.

G.

Are you sure about the tumblehome ? I've blown up a couple of the Nigel Burkin pics (try the emt one with the 156 attached, that's pretty low down and "front on") and the tumblehome seems to be there alright.

Looks good, and probably easier to get into than Hornby's oo effort.

All we need now are some FNW/Northern ones now........

I've just done the same, with the Nigel's EMT shot, and this one by Martyn Read http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/p20584647.html If you look around the bottom of the doors, there is a change in the bodyside angle, and you can see the curved transition on the new cab side. This is whats appears to be lacking

cheers

jo

Are you sure about the tumblehome ? I've blown up a couple of the Nigel Burkin pics (try the emt one with the 156 attached, that's pretty low down and "front on") and the tumblehome seems to be there alright.

Trust me - I've got one of the models to review for Rail Express Modeller - the sides are as flat as a witch's....

G.

Mmm, while the cabside is rather like a pancake, the bit in between them definitely has a tumblehome. The rebuilt cab looks a little bit off to me though too, generally, and is recessed like the original cab, and those on a 150, whereas it should be flush like this http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p59532605.html

Though the bogies do look a heck of a lot better than the ones on the 156, and the underframe looks a lot less blocky too.

Given a suitable livery, I'll be getting one. Or two. Or more!biggrin.gif

cheers

jo

Looks a bit wierd if im honest . The tumblehome is definately missing - it should be most apparent at the bottom of the doors , where (on the real things) you can see a sharp angle in the door rubbers, also Dapol have put rainstrip along the roof , which doesnt appear on the prototype. Jo's right , the no2 cab front shouldnt be recessed either blink.gif The front fairing at the bottom of the cabs should have a cut out , below the corridoors rather than carry stright across. The windscreens dont quite register with the bodyside windows either - most apparent if you compare the no2 windscreens with the cabside windows

Id like to see how it looks in Regional railways livery - all the stripes should help break the flat sides up a bit

tfn

'179

It does look quite strange indeed. I had thought something looked "wrong" when I saw the first painted samples in some pictures posted a while ago, but couldn't work what it was.

On all of the liveries in this release the colour transition from lower bodyside to bodyside colour happens around the point where the tumblehome should be, which does help to hide it. However it really shows up on the doors - they look completely flat.

A shame they missed something so characteristic, and I doubt we will get a retool any time soon. But ... I think I would still buy one if they released it in Anglia livery!

Did Dapol say they would be doing a northern rail version of the 153?

yes indeed they are. both powered and dummy.

for anyone who hasn't been in touch with their local stockist, mine has the december/ january order form and the RR 153 is on there along with the Pretendolino bookset and additional coaches...the wallet is going to be a fair bit lighter in a few weeks!! blush.gif icon_redface.gif

Archived