Dapol class 153

grahame

Looking at the Dapol Class 153, I cannot help but wonder if there is some assistance in tooling design from Hornby, as the 153 lacks the tumblehome of the OO Hornby model.

Eh? If it was produced with assistance in the tooling by Hornby (which is exceptionally doubtful anyway) then why would it lack the tumblehome? More likely that they have used their own research that resulted in the dreadful OO 155 (albeit not as bad as their OO 150)

Eh? If it was produced with assistance in the tooling by Hornby (which is exceptionally doubtful anyway) then why would it lack the tumblehome? More likely that they have used their own research that resulted in the dreadful OO 155 (albeit not as bad as their OO 150)

A more likely explanation is that the tumblehome has been ommitted to accomodate the supercreep motor. I also doubt the 153 has any parentage whatsover in the OO gauge 155 - the research for this was done more than 15 years ago and it would probably be more straightforward (and less risky) to start from scratch.

A more likely explanation is that the tumblehome has been ommitted to accomodate the supercreep motor. I also doubt the 153 has any parentage whatsover in the OO gauge 155 - the research for this was done more than 15 years ago and it would probably be more straightforward (and less risky) to start from scratch.

As a result the underside also seems a little less boxy that the 156. it's a small compromise but it has helped other features. i've got no quibbles.

by the way, does anyone know if the silvery exhaust (?) piping on the underside of the 153 has been made to look "dirty" or rusted? the one on my Central 153 has brown marks on it but the same parts on my 156s doesn't. just wanted to know if this was intentional by Dapol...

cheers

Ryan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ryan,

Yes, the "rusty" effect is also featured on recently issued Dapol Class 66 and 67 diesels. It does seem that Dapol have a policy of constant tweaks and refinements to try to make their models better.

Now all they need is some soot around the exhaust hole!

cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just had an email from Hattons to say my Regional Railways skateboard has been dispatched smile.gif

Same here , but shortly after , Ive had an email saying I've had my card refunded - and the regional 153s are now no longer on thier website -

maybe theyve sold out now ?

jon

I noticed earlier that both powered and dummy versions were listed on the website. Last time I looked (to see if they'd put any pictures up) the dummy had gone and the powered version showed only limited stocks. Now both are gone.

This model is going to have the broadest appeal of any 153 livery so I wouldn't be surprised if Hattons has already sold its whole allocation. Just hoping I don't get a 'your card has been refunded' email... :(

Same here , but shortly after , Ive had an email saying I've had my card refunded - and the regional 153s are now no longer on thier website -

maybe theyve sold out now ?

jon

Wondered about that.

I did not pre order but waited for the email to show when they are in stock.

Off to hunt down other suppliers now I think!

Wondered about that.

I did not pre order but waited for the email to show when they are in stock.

Off to hunt down other suppliers now I think!

Dapol are having supply problems. We got a letter with our order explaining that their chassis supplier only made 200 Chassis for the dummy version, and that consquently they are spread thin. It went on to say they would re-run them later this year.

My Regional Railways 153 popped through the letterbox today -

Im quite dissapointed that its missing the silver window frames on the bodysides sad.gif as they are very distinctive on the real units . This gives the illusion that the windows are too small on the model.

I remember how much of a pain it was , drawing the window frames on with a silver pen on my old OO gauge Dapol 155s - i dont fancy doing it in N blink.gif

Also the roof is the wrong color - I cant think what name the exact shade was - but a distinctive bluey grey. On the model its (almost)black - but as that unclips - it'll be easier to repaint smile.gif

A real shame , as otherwise its a cracking little model

TFN

Jon

Goodevening -

heres the, apparently 'rare' regional 153 -

It does look nice with a Regional 158 - just how im used to seeing themcool.gif

post-6893-12658261646603_thumb.jpg

Heres a close up of the windows -

post-6893-12658261077741_thumb.jpg

I didnt describe it quite right in my previous post - Dapol have printed a silver window frame , but its on the glazing - although its a bit out of register on my model - so some appear missing - Do tell me if im nit picking , but really its the raised frame thats moulded on the bodyshell which should be painted silver . That would drastically improve the look of the model. If , as i'm lead to believe, there werent enough of this livery produced - when additional models are made , perhaps the window frames could be addressed (and the roof colour) pretty please !!

tfn

jon

I didnt describe it quite right in my previous post - Dapol have printed a silver window frame , but its on the glazing - although its a bit out of register on my model - so some appear missing - Do tell me if im nit picking , but really its the raised frame thats moulded on the bodyshell which should be painted silver . That would drastically improve the look of the model. If , as i'm lead to believe, there werent enough of this livery produced - when additional models are made , perhaps the window frames could be addressed (and the roof colour) pretty please !!

Thanks for sharing the pics Jon, it looks very nice although I see what you mean about the windows - very characteristic of these trains but they don't quite look right. Will you have a go at painting the frames yourself? Apartfrom the roof colour though, the livery looks to be well done.

Hopefully mine will arrive in tomorrow's post...

Will you have a go at painting the frames yourself?

If the glazing will come out , then I think it would be worth doing - but im not sure if its possible to remove it - ill have to pop the roof off again. Also the printed frames would need removing from the glazing material (tcut on a cotton bud would do it) - but again thats only really something you can do with the windows out.

Id like mine to have the windows in the gangway doors, rather than the later full yellow door screens, but there several simple ways of achieving that.

In its defence , The 'high brow' look of the windscreens looks much better than the Hornby OO model - I'd say the little Dapol 153 captures more of the character of these units than its 4mm conterpart.Amongst other things, The fairings under the cabs are much more accurately executed - very nice !

TFN

Jon

Just had an email from Hattons saying my pre-order (placed well before Christmas) is cancelled, with the reason being the cryptic "Order part-cancelled. Refund, but do not f/s selected items back to stock".

Anybody know what's going on? I've heard rumours of supply problems, but I would have thought Hattons would have had sufficient models in stock before they started charging credit cards in the first place :(

I hope this doesn't mean I've permanently missed out despite pre-ordering months ago.

Just had an email from Hattons saying my pre-order (placed well before Christmas) is cancelled, with the reason being the cryptic "Order part-cancelled. Refund, but do not f/s selected items back to stock".

Anybody know what's going on? I've heard rumours of supply problems, but I would have thought Hattons would have had sufficient models in stock before they started charging credit cards in the first place sad.gif

I hope this doesn't mean I've permanently missed out despite pre-ordering months ago.

I had exactlythe same . I ordered 2 but they were only able to supply one - with the same reason given . I also ordered mine well before christmas.

I managed to get a second one from Rails no problem though - it arrived today.

tfn

Jon

Goodevening -

heres the, apparently 'rare' regional 153 -

It does look nice with a Regional 158 - just how im used to seeing themcool.gif

post-6893-12658261646603_thumb.jpg

Heres a close up of the windows -

post-6893-12658261077741_thumb.jpg

tfn

jon

you aint nit picking jon.we pay good money for a model in this day of age thay should get it right roof window frames etc.dont get me wrong it is a cracking little model apart from these letdowns

cheers

john

Now I've had time to inspect mine, I'd say the windows don't detract too much from the look model, and I certainly agree the front ends capture the character of the real thing better than the Hornby model. My only real gripe was with the snowplough, which sits much too far forward and looks very overscale, although I've found that with a bit of a trim here and there it can be made to look much more acceptable. Overall though, the livery application looks good and it runs very nicely - a cracking little model and (if you can find one) thoroughly reccomended B)

Now I've had time to inspect mine, I'd say the windows don't detract too much from the look model, and I certainly agree the front ends capture the character of the real thing better than the Hornby model. My only real gripe was with the snowplough, which sits much too far forward and looks very overscale, although I've found that with a bit of a trim here and there it can be made to look much more acceptable. Overall though, the livery application looks good and it runs very nicely - a cracking little model and (if you can find one) thoroughly reccomended cool.gif

Agreed about the snowploughs - though for my period the real things didnt have them fitted yet. As I want to run my units on thier own - id like to detail under the cabs , fit air horns etc - does anyone know if its possible to remove/unclip the scharfenberg coupling box without destroying it?

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

A possible cheat to fix the missing body tumblehome would be to mask this area off and paint it a slightly darker shade of grey in order to create a fake shadow effect.

Jon, I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your pic to illustrate:

153.jpg

Tom.

A possible cheat to fix the missing body tumblehome would be to mask this area off and paint it a slightly darker shade of grey in order to create a fake shadow effect.

Jon, I hope you don't mid but I borrowed your pic to illustrate:

153.jpg

Tom.

not at all, that looks very effective! - I think im going to have to get my 153s in bits this weekend , do the window frames and also paint the bottom of the body. It'll look much better for it i think.

tfn

Jon

Archived