Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

I seem to remember reading, possibly earlier in this thread, that the 102xx Bulleid diesels were not fitted for multiple working, so presumably when double heading, each would need an engineman and have some form of communication for the leading driver to advise the following driver, a la steam engine double heading.

Excellent.Thank you for that.Wonder how long the period of working lasted ?

Ian, have located another photo of 10201 and 10202 double heading on the Royal Scot. This is from the David Hey Pioneer Diesels web page. The 21 st photo, which I've copied the link below, is dated 12th February 1957 at Tamworth. Again the diesels are without connecting doors at this time.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-j-payne-tamworth-1.jpg

• Like 2

I believe 10201 and 10202 could work in multiple, just as 10000 and 10001 could also. 10203 was different and could not multiple with the earlier pair; I'm not sure if it could work in multiple with any other diesels, but I suspect it could not.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian, have located another photo of 10201 and 10202 double heading on the Royal Scot. This is from the David Hey Pioneer Diesels web page. The 21 st photo, which I've copied the link below, is dated 12th February 1957 at Tamworth. Again the diesels are without connecting doors at this time.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-j-payne-tamworth-1.jpg

Superb shot ! Many thanks. Note the date as February which is interesting.Obviously their train heating capabilities were not an issue,always assuming the date is correct of course.

• RMweb Gold

I believe 10201 and 10202 could work in multiple, just as 10000 and 10001 could also. 10203 was different and could not multiple with the earlier pair; I'm not sure if it could work in multiple with any other diesels, but I suspect it could not.

AFAIK, the multiple working gear was not included in the locos as built, (hence the need for connecting doors) but was added some time after they entered service, c1957 seems likely in the case of 10203, though the others were presumably done earlier, before BR had arrived at a standard pattern that could be applied to most classes.

The arrangements fitted to 10000/1 (Red diamond) and 10201/2 (Red/white square) were unique within type but 10203 got the common Blue Star set-up. Whether it was ever so used in traffic is, however, open to question. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

AFAIK, the multiple working gear was not included in the locos as built, (hence the need for connecting doors) but was added some time after they entered service, c1957 seems likely in the case of 10203, though the others were presumably done earlier, before BR had arrived at a standard pattern that could be applied to most classes.

The arrangements fitted to 10000/1 (Red diamond) and 10201/2 (Red/white square) were unique within type but 10203 got the common Blue Star set-up. Whether it was ever so used in traffic is, however, open to question. 

John

I had it in the back of my mind that 10203 had the blue star code, but then dismissed it because (as you rightly point out) the standard would not have been established at the time in 1954. Obviously if it was fitted, it was done later in its life. Like you, I have seen no evidence of it actually having been used in multiple.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Would anyone be able to post a nice high res pic of the PCB of 10201 or 10202?

Curious about the differences between the the PCB on the first batch and the one fitted to 10203 as from the low res pics I've found they seem to have removed the decent sized capacitor/stay alive and added two small capacitor type things (I'm useless at electronics so no idea what they actually are) near the DCC socket.

Would anyone be able to post a nice high res pic of the PCB of 10201 or 10202?

Curious about the differences between the the PCB on the first batch and the one fitted to 10203 as from the low res pics I've found they seem to have removed the decent sized capacitor/stay alive and added two small capacitor type things (I'm useless at electronics so no idea what they actually are) near the DCC socket.

If you referring to the two green thingies near the DCC socket on 10203 then they are resisters.

post-15098-0-48748900-1546178397_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer

JSpencer

I think you will find that the 2 green things are inductors(chokes), the L1 & L2 labels next to them are a dead giveaway

Them and the 2 capacitors are used for RFI suppression 

They are packaged like resistors & I have been fooled by them in the past

John

JSpencer

I think you will find that the 2 green things are inductors(chokes), the L1 & L2 labels next to them are a dead giveaway

Them and the 2 capacitors are used for RFI suppression 

They are packaged like resistors & I have been fooled by them in the past

John

I stand corrected. Thanks. Indeed I'm more used to the old fashioned donuts with copper wire!

They certainly have no role in acting as a stay alive though. On my Bulleid, I fitted a seperate capacitor of my DCC sound conversion.

• 5 months later...

Great selection of 'early production' diesel by Kernow and nice-looking model ... 

Can't decide which variant I like.

Black and silver is the most famous one for me, as a lad reading as many railway books as I could find, but the Royal Scot scheme looks quite nice as well ....

Al.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I did a search on 'detail' and 'detail pack' but nothing came up.

I notice that, from this photo on KMRC site, there appear to be three holes in the buffer beam. Is there a detail pack included, in the event that the NEM sockets aren't used?

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 22.03.27.jpg

12 hours ago, truffy said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I did a search on 'detail' and 'detail pack' but nothing came up.

I notice that, from this photo on KMRC site, there appear to be three holes in the buffer beam. Is there a detail pack included, in the event that the NEM sockets aren't used?

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 22.03.27.jpg

Yes and no. The central hole is for the drawhook and screw link coupling; not fitted in case it fouls the tension lock. I suspect that the other two holes are for multiple working fittings appropriate to later models yet to appear. If you’re interested, I posted a picture of the front on screen 17 with the tension lock removed and the coupling fitted.

• Thanks 1

On 18/06/2019 at 15:20, barrymx5 said:

Great model. My one and only diesel. 

I don't do oil drums, or BR. But, thanks to you and @No Decorum, 10201 BOURNEMOUTH BELLE will be winging its way to Truffy Towers.

Edited by truffy
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Aha! Now that is just the answer that I was looking for, because I like maroon! :)

But, in all my (admittedly vague) research, I couldn't figure out where/when maroon would come into it. AFAICT, BR moved to maroon in 1956 (which fits the photo date), but the KMRC 10201 is pre-1956 cycling lion (which doesn't).

I guess that if I want to break up the cream/crimson, I may be limited to Malachite. Hrmph.

Edited by truffy

truffy, the photo shows 10203 in BR green with orange lining and the later crest. It never ran on the Southern Region in this livery. However, if you are modelling 10201, it would be worth checking to see when she underwent the repaint and change of crest, because not all of the Bulleids were done at the same time. All three were transferred to the LMR in 1955.

That's only if you are concerned with total accuracy, otherwise you could exercise a little modeller's licence and run your 10201 with the blood and custard and maroon coaches. It is also quite possible a few such coaches survived in LMS maroon with BR markings through to 1956, although they would then have been among the first to be repainted into BR maroon.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

That's only if you are concerned with total accuracy, otherwise you could exercise a little modeller's licence and run your 10201 with the blood and custard and maroon coaches. It is also quite possible a few such coaches survived in LMS maroon with BR markings through to 1956, although they would then have been among the first to be repainted into BR maroon.

Thanks @SRman. I'm going to run on SR lines and use the Bournemouth Belle headboard, so pre-1955. I read somewhere that BR coaches tended to wander off-region, and either red or blue do sone MxxxxM stock. Time to flex the rulebook, methinks! :good_mini:

Edited by truffy
changed western region to midland! ooops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, truffy said:

Aha! Now that is just the answer that I was looking for, because I like maroon! :)

But, in all my (admittedly vague) research, I couldn't figure out where/when maroon would come into it. AFAICT, BR moved to maroon in 1956 (which fits the photo date), but the KMRC 10201 is pre-1956 cycling lion (which doesn't).

I guess that if I want to break up the cream/crimson, I may be limited to Malachite. Hrmph.

There were still complete trains running in c&c in 1960btw.I have somewhere a print I took in York In September 1960 of a grimy A3 at the head of such a train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, truffy said:

Thanks @SRman. I'm going to run on SR lines and use the Bournemouth Belle headboard, so pre-1955. I read somewhere that BR coaches tended to wander off-region, and either red or blue do sone MxxxxM stock. Time to flex the rulebook, methinks! :good_mini:

If you are running SR trains, you can certainly mix Southern green (revarnished pre-nationalisation Bulleid green with BR markings) together with crimson and cream coaches. All the new BR mark 1 coaches of the time were delivered in c&c. Of course, with the Bournemouth Belle, you would use mostly Pullman coaches, but other trains could use the aforementioned 'ordinary' stock of Maunsell, Bulleid and BR coaches. 

There were interregional trains too, with SR stock going north and west, and LMR, WR and ER stocks coming south or east, as the case may be. That gives us good excuses to have 'foreign' stock on our layouts too. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1