New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

Hi Alan,

Wow what an inspirational  project. Blows my mind! The track hugging the cliff side reminds me of the late John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" US railroad layout with its floor to ceiling scenery. Meanwhile back to building my 16' x 1' HOm RhB layout - I'm going for a line on the valley floor to keep things simple......

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Alan

Glad to see you back posting mate.

Coming along nicely. Not seen any our 'trip' inspired scenery yet! or that for next week!

Dave

Thanķs Dave. Scenery inspiration from our trip is currently stored in my little grey cell (and my photo albums). First though I'm focussing on getting the station area completed. Watch this space...

Cheers... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell

Hi Alan,

Wow what an inspirational  project. Blows my mind! The track hugging the cliff side reminds me of the late John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" US railroad layout with its floor to ceiling scenery. Meanwhile back to building my 16' x 1' HOm RhB layout - I'm going for a line on the valley floor to keep things simple......

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm about 2.5 years in now so there's still loads to do! I too was always awed by the Gorre and Daphetid layout although my effort won't be quite so awesome.

Cheers ... Alan

Spent the last few days working in the house on the new station building.

A lot of the HO station kits are designed to face onto the platforms, however as my station will be on a bridge going over the tracks, most of the kits available wouldn't fit the bill. I also was looking to create a modern look and after some searching I bought the Kibri kit of Kehl Hbf.

It has gone together extremely well and includes a handy lighting kit. Here's a shot of the lighting as fitted to the bahnhof gaststatte building:

post-1570-0-21340400-1525371700_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-43890300-1525372207_thumb.jpg

And here's the completed kit laid in position on the bridge:

post-1570-0-27577200-1525372409_thumb.jpg

This is just the look I was after and I like that there are a few shops and a hotel included - So, a bit more than just a station building. To make it fit the bridge I had to turn the Post Office at the end 90 degrees, but it works ok.

Now on to constructing its surroundings.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

On with the civil engineering ...

Poster card cut to shape and laid to form the raised pavement:

post-1570-0-93727300-1525373925_thumb.jpg

Sheets of paving stones from Slaters Plasticard glued down:

post-1570-0-79660200-1525374149_thumb.jpg

Sand dunes in the road bed? My preferred method of making road surfaces, this is bird cage sand but sieved to exclude any large bits, poured into a wet painted surface:

post-1570-0-34682000-1525374225_thumb.jpg

Surplus sand tipped off, a couple of patches there that will need fixing up. The kerb stones are square plastic strip with one corner rounded off then laboriously scored along the length to make the joins - very tedious and cost me a slice of my finger!

post-1570-0-80810300-1525374493_thumb.jpg

Let the painting commence. First coat on the road surface, a bit black so I'll go over it later with a lighter coat. But first better call out the road gang to repair those pot holes - looks like some of the roads round here ..lol..

post-1570-0-56596600-1525375557_thumb.jpg

Here I've aďded a base coat to the tiles and began early work on dry brushing the next layers. A way to go yet to get the right look:

post-1570-0-01935900-1525375818_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Continued dry brushing is beginning to get the right overall tone and now I've started picking out a few different shades on random tiles:

post-1570-0-43344100-1525376259_thumb.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere. Bahnhof Plaza in the making:

post-1570-0-82690100-1525376342_thumb.jpg

Not much to do now, just road markings, street signs, advertising signs, bus stop and shelter, street lamps, glue the buildings down, make an outdoor sitting/cafe area, fix people and vehicles in place etc, etc...

It's quite nice being able to work on this as a separate diorama away from the layout. The fun will start when I have all the wiring for the buildings and street lighting to hide away underneath the road and then fix it in place over the platforms.

Cheers... Alan

• Like 4

A couple of pics of the station bridge diorama which is almost complete now. I still have to sort out the wiring underneath for the street lights and building lights- just waiting for some resistors to arrive. Once that's done I'll add the steel fencing along the edges. I can't add that yet as it's delicate and I have to turn this whole bridge upside down when I sort out the wiring.

post-1570-0-00975800-1525964143_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-21630600-1525964514_thumb.jpg

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 6

The road will 'appear' to go through a tunnel under the mountain behind. There's a storage yard there so I can't make an actual tunnel so instead I've been messing about making a 3D effect using a picture which I'll bed into the surrounding scenery.

post-1570-0-28435200-1525964812_thumb.jpg

What you're seeing is a flat piece of card consisting of a photo and some scribed and painted Plasticard either side forming the support walls, and hopefully blending in to the photo. All this will later be surrounded by rock face when I build up the scenery around it.

It looks ok from most angles and it's about the best I can make it. By and large it works alright.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

At a similar approach I used in the past a piece of PVC Drainpipe as the tunnel entrance - which represented the smooth concrete mouth of a modern road tunnel - and let the tunnel go into the mountain for approximately 10 cm. At the end of the pipe I put a mirror. This gave quite a realistic picture without having a real tunnel ... Probably I can find a photo somewhere on my computer.

​What I found isn't great but may be it shows it. 

41975463242_0515c78aee_h.jpgDSC02664 

• Like 2

That's a good idea, I like that thanks. Oddly enough I did eye up a spare piece of drain pipe I had lying in my shed.

I did at first consider making an actual tunnel that curved out of sight. However there was just not enough space above the tracks of the storage yard behind the scenes there. Also I would have liked some lighting in the tunnel so I allowed laziness to dictate...

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan.

Nice to see steady progress being made, the station environment looks terrific keep the updates coming we don't get much on here showing the construction of large layouts of an overseas theme, just yours and a Chinese layout. I do love a large layout.

Craig.

Hi Alan.

Nice to see steady progress being made, the station environment looks terrific keep the updates coming we don't get much on here showing the construction of large layouts of an overseas theme, just yours and a Chinese layout. I do love a large layout.

Craig.

Thanks Craig.  All encouragement is most welcome and as long as there is interest and a few followers then I'm happy to keep posting.  

I always go for large layouts - for me there's got to be plenty of scope for running trains and lots of activity going on, and I like the challenge of automating operation.  Although I've started a few that have fallen by the wayside - too ambitious that's my trouble, I forget how much work there is!   I often think I could enjoy spending ages on a small layout, getting right down into the details but I know I'd be wanting to watch long trains running through the countryside.  

Anyway, keep following ... cheers .. Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan.

There is something about watching a long train negotiate a model railway layout. A super detailed shunting plank is to be commended however I consider this to be a demonstration of modelling skill not railway modelling and as for operational interest I get board in 2 minutes and that's watching. Railway modelling is exactly what you are doing and I for one admire and enjoy your efforts especially as my interests are all things Austrian.

Look forward to future updates.

Cheers.

Craig

• Like 3

Morning All,

Some advice on Switzerland Please

This is nothing to do with my layout except that I could argue it's for research purposes ..lol.

I mentioned in passing to my good wife yesterday 'How do you fancy going to Venice on the train?'  Turns out she quite fancies that so now I'm enjoying the challenge of putting another European rail trip together (already!)  So we're off on 25th June which will include our wedding anniversary (aaww).  I've got the plan from here to Venice worked out and booked up - which is like this:

Day 1 - Darlington to Koblenz (via Koln).  I chose this route because I fancy the nice ride down the banks of the Rhine which I've done by car but not by train.  1 x Over night there.

Day 2 - Koblenz to Lucerne.  (More of the Rhine).  Staying a couple of nights there to enjoy the scenery and the lake etc.  Sadly I'll never get my missus in a cable car so I'll miss out on some of the good spots.

Day 4 - Lucerne to Tirano via the Bernina Express.  I enjoyed this trip a lot last month so I'm keen for my missus to experience it too - such a nice ride.  Overnight in Tirano which I think will be a nice relaxing way to spend an evening.

Day 5 - Tirano to Venice where we'll spend 3 days

All that part is booked up so what I'm seeking is any advice on how to plan the return trip which will likely be via Paris for the Eurostar home.

I can see that one way would be via Torino and skirt round the south west of Switzerland and on the TGV onward to Paris but I'd really prefer to stage somewhere in Switzerland on the way back.

I can also see two other major routes going north from Italy into Switzerland (not counting the Bernina).   One via Domodossola through the Simplon to Brig and the other via Lugano and on up to Zurich.

I'm thinking about the Simplon route and perhaps an over night in Interlaken - but I'm sure there will be a hundred other great things to do and see in Switzerland.  I'm not sure I'd want to do the Glacier Express again so soon so I'm inclined to rule that out this time.  One other thing though, if any mountain railways or cable cars are involved I'd have to leave my missus at the bottom and do that myself - not completely ruled out but I'd prefer something we can do together.

Anyway, any shared experiences would be most appreciated (but please note the outward journey is already booked up).  Many thanks.  

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

Regarding my Query above - I'm just looking at the Golden Rail trip which we could possibly do from Montreux, via Interlaken and back across to Lucerne.  An easy trip then back to Paris via Zurich.

Anyone recommend this trip?

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan,

Sadly, I can't recommend anything about Switzerland as I simply don't know! However, I wish you a very pleasant trip and hope you get to take some pictures.

I also want to reassure you that I am really enjoying your build here, I think it is fantastic and keenly follow every update, even if I don't have a clue when it comes to electronics.

Craig (duff man) says it really well: this is excellent railway modelling.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Alan,

Sadly, I can't recommend anything about Switzerland as I simply don't know! However, I wish you a very pleasant trip and hope you get to take some pictures.

I also want to reassure you that I am really enjoying your build here, I think it is fantastic and keenly follow every update, even if I don't have a clue when it comes to electronics.

Craig (duff man) says it really well: this is excellent railway modelling.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for that John, it's appreciated.  And thanks for following.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

It may depend on day/time, but wife and I did Luzern - interlaken last year and the train was incredibly busy, and depending on what her limits are it does use quite a bit of rack to get over brunig.

What I can recommend though (And it partly depends on what day you're returning on) is staying at Belinzona, lots of great scenery, castles, things to see (Saturday morning market) and then the panoramic coaches over the old gotthard route which terminated in Zurich when we did it. I did share pictures from the trip somewhere on here, we were the only passengers in our carriage.

• RMweb Premium

It may depend on day/time, but wife and I did Luzern - interlaken last year and the train was incredibly busy, and depending on what her limits are it does use quite a bit of rack to get over Brunig.

Alan, like SG says. It is also a quite slow train (even the express) between Interlaken and Luzern.

If the rack sections over the Brunig is going to be a possible problem, you could consider the GoldenPass train(s)* from Montreux as far as Interlaken, then take mainline trains via Bern to Luzern. The Montreux-Oberland Bahn crosses the bumpy bit between Montreux and Zweisimmen purely with adhesion, and the top section is in tunnel under the Col de Jaman.

* I don't know if the gauge changing trains (metre gauge to standard gauge) are in operation yet through Zweisimmen, or whether you still have to change trains there. Someone will no doubt be along to enlighten us. Either way you would have to change trains in Interlaken.

If the height attained by the MOB is still too much, you could consider continuing right through to Geneva, and picking up the train to Paris from there? That would give the option of exploring some of the lower slopes railways areound Lac Leman (Lake Geneva). The Biere-Apples-Morat railway is quite pleasant in that respect (it has been renamed recently; again further enlightenment will be forthcoming).

Hope this helps,

Dave

Edited by DIW

Hi Alan,

Travelling north from Milan, both the Gotthard route via Chiasso and Belinzona, and the Simplon line through Domodossola to Brig are well worth considering, though you need to avoid the new base tunnels that both have, and use the old lines! The scenery is stunning in both cases, although if your wife doesn't like heights she may not enjoy the section from Brig to the old Lotschberg tunnel - the line rises very steeply on the north side of the Rhone valley, and at Hohtenn, before the line enters the Lonza gorge, there is an almost sheer drop of well over a thousand feet when you look out of the left-hand window! A benefit of this choice however is that it would be very easy to change trains at Spiez for the short lakeside run down to Interlaken for your overnight stop. From Interlaken Ost you then have the Brunig and other ng lines running into the mountains to be explored. 

An alternative might be to change at Brig and take a train along the Rhone valley via Visp and Montreux to Lausanne. There is a really beautiful stretch of line right on the shoreline of Lake Geneva, and at Lausanne, rather than continuing to Paris via Geneva, what about a TGV via Vallorbe, Frasne and Dole? The countryside is pleasant rather than dramatic, often wooded, and includes the descent of La Bosse, a fearsome gradient (particularly in the days of steam - double-headed 141Rs, although a bit before my time, but only just!). Another advantage is that Lausanne is a lovely town with plenty to do. There should also be time to alight at Montreux and sample the MOB and maybe even the Blonay-Chamby preservation set-up. 

Hope the foregoing is of some use, and I hope the two of you have a great trip.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the replies which are most helpful, some excellent ideas.

After some thought and weighing up the ideas, I'm considering the following for the return leg(s) from Venice:

1 - Venice to Interlaken.  Spend 2 nights there, relax round the takes, take in the scenery. 

2 - Interlaken to Montreux in the morning via the Golden Pass and then on to Lausanne for our last night.  I mentioned the 'Chocolate Train' which pricked my wife's interest but then she remembered she's on a (permanent) diet!  Anyway, surely it would melt in summer  :jester: ​.

3 - Lausanne to UK.  Travelling via  Vallorbe, Franse, Dole and Dijon.

I'll have a chat with the boss today and see how she feels about that.  

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

Booking Blues

Looking at how to book Lausanne to Paris as per my provisional plan as above.  Got to say (whinge, whine, moan) that the French make it really difficult to get across a border with an  Interrail Pass on their TGVs!!

Any trip on the TGV service that crosses a border is charged at the full price, or more - even if you have an Interrail or a Eurrail pass.  My first look on the SNCF web site came up with a fare of £204 (that's for 2 Interrail pass holders in 1st Class, not much less for 2nd class).  Ridiculous!  I'm not paying full fare when I've already paid for the Interrail Passes so I'm looking at alternatives.

Possible alternatives (from Lausanne CH) are:

Buy a ticket on a local train Lausanne to just across the French border to Bellegarde (c40 Euros) then jump on the TGV from there.  It's only 20 Euros to reserve the TGV once you're in France - it's the international reservations that whack up the price.  Or we could change at Geneva, pay for the TGV as far as Bellegarde (c50 Euros), then stay on the same train but move into our reserved seats in 1st class for the journey to Paris.  A right faff on!

Or go up to Basel, change and pop across the border on a local train to Mulhouse (c18 Euros) then reserve the TGV for Paris for 20 Euros. 

Or we could stuff their TGVs and come back through Germany - but that's a much longer trip.

The trick is to get across the border on a local train, not a TGV - what a complete faff on!  

Deep joy ... Alan