Harburn Hobbies

Hammer

The problem with commissioning a 'OO' scale version of the Hornby coaches in ScotRail colours is the sheer volume that the run would consist of. Hornby require a run of 1,000 examples, which might even be more than the number of 47/7s and DBSOs produced by Bachmann.

The 'N' gauge run of these coaches was a run of 200, via Dapol

To get a representative rake, you would have to commission 1,000 Composite coaches, and then 3,000 (or even 4,000) 2nd class coaches. Whether you do it as individual coaches or a boxed set, it would be an incredible commitment and risk for anyone to undertake.

so even though the only real differences between the 4 coaches (for a box set) are running numbers and composite 1st class halfway yellow striping and possibly a "1" at the 1st class end of the CO, Hornby would class each as a "run"? the interiors would all be the same regardless unless they retooled....but given the glazing is tinted this would hardly be noticeable.

not familiar with the process i just assumed you could run off say 500 box sets of 4 ie 2000 coaches all to the same identical standard and then the minor printing detail added at the end to give the 4 different variants......i take it its just not that simplistic then?

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

What about just doing 1000 second class Mk 3 s. I'm sure we could then add the yellow stripe for either full first or composite. I'm not bothered about the interiors.

Edited by Legend

...... it would be an incredible commitment and risk for anyone to undertake.

I can kind of see the heightened risk as far as a retailer is concerned here but clearly Bachmann dont see it as a risk with their DBSO and this despite them being fully aware that there is currently no offering to plug the gap between their DBSO and their shove duff models.

I've  now got some more information on the Bachmann specials which will be produced for Harburn Hobbies.  They are all 00 scale and should all be available mid to late 2015.

• Set of 3 West Highland Line green and cream Mk1 coaches (1 BCK and 2 TSOs) as used on the "jacobite" tourist trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
  • "Scottish and Newcastle" 14 ton tank wagon.  This is very similar to the one produced recently which sold out very fast
  • Devlin's 5 plank wagon.  These wagons were used to supply bunker coal to Devlin's fishing trawlers at Granton Harbour.
  • Flat wagon with two AF containers branded "MacFisheries".

Hope that this is helpful.

Roddy

I've  now got some more information on the Bachmann specials which will be produced for Harburn Hobbies.  They are all 00 scale and should all be available mid to late 2015.

• Set of 3 West Highland Line green and cream Mk1 coaches (1 BCK and 2 TSOs) as used on the "jacobite" tourist trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
  • "Scottish and Newcastle" 14 ton tank wagon.  This is very similar to the one produced recently which sold out very fast
  • Devlin's 5 plank wagon.  These wagons were used to supply bunker coal to Devlin's fishing trawlers at Granton Harbour.
  • Flat wagon with two AF containers branded "MacFisheries".

Hope that this is helpful.

Roddy

Thanks Roddy, I'm sure I'll find a home for all of those alongside the many previous Harburns Ltd Editions I've accumulated.

It'd be nice if they could secure some more suitably local Bachy 37/47 LE's as well as a steamer or two, or even better follow the Kernow path and have a J37 produced!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick and very belated note to say that over the next two days (Friday 7th & Saturday 8th) Harburn Hobbies will be hosting their pre-Christmas promotional event in the shop which will feature Peco and Bachmann model railway products. Steve Haynes, Peco's Sales Manager, has made the long journey from the West Country to be in the shop. He will be demonstrating the SmartSwitch servo control system (suitable for all gauges) and answering any questions you may have. The latest rolling stock in OO9 will be running on a small narrow gauge layout and you'll also be able to have a 'sneak peak' at some brand new pre-production samples before anyone else! As there will be 20% off most Peco, Bachmann and Graham Farish products, this will be a great opportunity for you to stock up... and save money!

There will be:-

- 20% off most Peco Products.

- 20% off most Bachmann and Graham Farish products.

- Free prize draw to win Harburn Hobbies Gift Vouchers.

- OO9 layout demonstrating DCC control using Gaugemaster equipment.

- Latest Peco pre-production new models on show.

- Refreshments.

Normal opening hours apply both days (9.30am - 6.00pm both days). It'll be a fun time as always!

Lima did do a standard run of Scotrail Mk 3s circa 25 years ago. Sometime around 1995 Harburn also did a boxed set of a 47/7 plus 3 Scotrail Mk 3s.

Re questions about Mk 3s in ScotRail (perhaps this query started in Harburn should now be moved to another forum as it seems to have moved on from the connection to Harburn), I concur with Bon Accord, Harburn did them as special editions and as he says they were also a standard item on the Lima range.

I seem to recall someone, possibly Durham Trains of Stanley had indicated as Model Rail Scotland 2 or 3 years ago they were going to, or were thinking about doing them with Hornby. I think whoever it was had mock ups of Mk3s and Mk2 air cons on display. Apologies if I got the wrong shop.

Bachmann could do their Mk2a in this livery as there were some in that livery. Have seen a rake made up of a 477 and DBSO with MK2a in between known as the Jacobite. The photos have been in the blue grey period. Have not seen a full rake of them in ScotRail livery; however a single Mk2a in ScotRail, sometimes featured in some of the Mk2 air con sets.

• 4 months later...

I popped in to Harburn Hobbies the other day, first time in a fair while to be honest, but, it'll not be as long until my next visit. They still carry one of the best ranges in stock of any model shop North of the border. I was after some bits and pieces for a wee project I'm hoping to start over Easter. Nothing was too much of a problem, even when I was taking my time and thinking things out as I looked aroung their display shelves.

Great shop, great service. I'm old enough to remember when they were down at the other end of Leith Walk, they moved up the Walk over 40 years ago. Still a great shop, unfortunately the last of its kind in Edinburgh.

• 5 months later...

I was in Harburn yesterday and picked up there new conflat in MacFisheries livery, looks very nice. they also had pre-production models of the new Mk1s in green and cream and there new coal truck Devlins. they also had some of Bachmann's forth coming re-liveries at there Bachmann event weekend the DB Schenker class 08 looks very good.

the link below has a picture of the conflat on there home page (no connection just a happy customer)

http://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got a call to say thier green and cream Mk1s have arrived in stock today. Just in time for Glasgow show.

A set has just arrived here :). Very pleased, lovely models. Very well packaged too.

As bought a couple of these as I couldn't resist (another Harburn commission).

gallery_24698_3502_12747.jpg

Very nice :)

For info the Harburn coaches are Mark 1's and are totally different livery to the Mark 2's in the Bachmann "Highlander" train set.

Edited by ruggedpeak

A set has just arrived here :). Very pleased, lovely models. Very well packaged too.

As bought a couple of these as I couldn't resist (another Harburn commission).

gallery_24698_3502_12747.jpg

Very nice :)

For info the Harburn coaches are Mark 1's and are totally different livery to the Mark 2's in the Bachmann "Highlander" train set.

Yep - the HH ones are in the darker green and cream of the West Highland Line (Glasgow to Mallaig) and the Highlander ones are the set used on the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line. Bachmann are doing a coach and ex-class 101 observation car in the Kyle line green and cream (just announced).

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I had a call from Harburns on Friday regarding an item I had preordered being in, so popped through on the train to collect Bachmanns latest release the EWS Saloon today. Great service as always from the team in Harburns.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Have received notification of this year's pre-Christmas promotional event:

"We are delighted to announce that this year's pre-Christmas promotional event in the shop will again particularly feature Peco model railway products.

Steve Haynes, Peco's Sales Manager, will be making the long journey from Devon to be with us. He will be 'showing you how' to incorporate the recent overhead line catenary system into your layout and explaining how the versatile "SmartSwitch" servo control system functions. As always, he'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. You might just see some brand new pre-production samples of products before they appear at that big exhibition held the following week near Birmingham !

There will be up to 20% off most Peco, Bachmann and Graham Farish products, giving you the opportunity to stock up for the winter !

Details:

The event will be held in Harburn Hobbies model shop on Friday 11th & Saturday 12th November 2016 (9.30am - 6.00pm both days).

There will be:

20% off most Peco Products.

20% off most Bachmann and Graham Farish products.

Free prize draw to win Harburn Hobbies Gift Vouchers.

Refreshments.

The Harburn team and Steve look forward to welcoming you to the event. It'll be a fun time as always!"

Is there any more plans to commission anything modern? Their DMUs and modern wagons all seem to sell well, I've got quite a few myself. I think a 170 in promotional Borders livery would be fitting for Harburns, considering their Edinburgh location.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make their promotional event this year, though have enjoyed it in previous years.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve been in this shop a few times before (and very good it is too) but whilst in there yesterday buying a few bits and pieces I noticed three loco nameplates on the wall behind the counter which I'd not noticed before: MELD, Greyfriars Bobby and one off an HST.

• 8 months later...

From Facebook -

Harburn Hobbies are having  their annual Bachmann & Graham Farish Promotional Days taking place in the shop on Friday 24th and Saturday 25th August with 20% off most Bachmann and Graham Farish products. There's a free prize draw to win Harburn Hobbies Gift Vouchers and the usual refreshments are available. Pre-production samples of new products, kindly loaned to us by Bachmann, will be here to admire!

More info:-

Time & Place:- Friday 24th & Saturday 25th August 2018 from 9.30am - 6.00pm at Harburn Hobbies, 67 Elm Row, on Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH7 4AQ

By Train:- Half a mile from Waverley Station.

By Bus:- Lothian Buses 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 22, 25, & 49 also "The Majestic Tour" pass the door.

By Tram:- Nearest stop is "York Place" (the current terminus)

By Car:- Free parking is available for one hour on both sides of Leith Walk. On the surrounding side streets, ticket parking bays are also available and these are free of charge on Saturdays.

Contact:- Phone: 0131 - 556 3233. Email: sales@harburnhobbies.co.uk

Our website addresses: harburnhobbies.com - harburnhobbies.co.uk - harburns.co.uk

Edited by Dave Anderson

• 2 months later...

Just heard tonight that Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh are hosting a Peco and Bachmann pre-Christmas promotional event  on Friday 9th & Saturday 10th November 2018.  There will be up to 20% off most Peco, Parkside, Bachmann and Graham Farish products (in shop only).

Steve Haynes, Peco's Sales Manager, will be at the event to answer questions.

There will also be a special appearance by one of the team leaders from 'The Great Model Railway Challenge'.  Mark of the 'Diesel Dynamos' will be in the shop on Saturday 10th November between 2-4pm.

Roddy

• Like 2

Just a reminder to anyone in the Edinburgh area that there will be up to 20% off most Peco, Parkside, Bachmann and Graham Farish products (in shop only) at Harburn Hobbies tomorrow and Saturday (9th and 10th November).

Roddy

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I’m looking forward to coming in on Saturday between 2 and 4 to chat and answer questions about taking part in the Great Model Railway Challenge. Perhaps share some speed modelling tips we learnt that you can use and the products, many from the Peco range.

Great opportunity to stock up for the Winter months or get that all important Christmas present.

Thanks

Mark