Farish GWR Castle Class

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Likewise I'm no expert on GWR locos, and i'm not particularly a fan of comparing model & real thing without photos taken from almost identical angles, otherwise you can be led to all kinds of false impressions. 

The closest I could get is this:

post-1467-0-13075900-1458720698_thumb.jpg

It is still a slightly unfair comparison as 5051 has a lowered cab roof and the angle the photo is taken from is not exactly the same as the model which gives the impression on the model that the angle of the top of the firebox is off. My initial impression from this comparison was that the boiler was perhaps a little 'undernourished', however having looked at it again I think that may be due to the unpainted section which forms part of the chassis between the first & second splashers.  All of that light between the front bogie and frames doesn't do the model any favours from this angle either!

Think i'll reserve finial judgement until I see a factory finished version in the flesh.

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

That comparison shows precisely where I feel the model is wrong having stared at it for considerable time. Look at the rake of the firebox front, as well as the radius of the cladding in the same area. The model is very squared off with a forward lean where as the prototype image below shows a slight backward lean and a very rounded off front edge to the cladding. The radius of the firebox front looks like it extends back almost to the first line, but the model with its forward lean and tight radius is much straighter for a greater distance. The boiler does look a little undernourished, it is missing the extra taper of the front boiler cladding that clearly shows in the prototype image, but I think the main issue is the firebox front.

To me, from those pics it seems like the top of the firebox is not rounded enough on the corners, it reminds me of my old Triang TT Castle in that respect.

Of course I should add that it could be the camera angle, light and who knows what else creating an illusion when it is in fact spot on, so probably best not to draw too many conclusions just yet.

Roy  

To me, from those pics it seems like the top of the firebox is not rounded enough on the corners, it reminds me of my old Triang TT Castle in that respect.

Of course I should add that it could be the camera angle, light and who knows what else creating an illusion when it is in fact spot on, so probably best not to draw too many conclusions just yet.

Roy  

To me, the firebox also looks not large enough in comparison to the cab. That could be the firebox, or the cab.

Drawing conclusions now rather depends on whether anything can be done about it at this stage. I have to say as a 4mm modeller, I do wish someone had spotted the howler Bachmann had made with the front frames on their Modified Hall and shouted out about it, rather than us now having to live with it.

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping Bachmann would have the EP samples for the Castle on display at York today so I could have a closer look at it in the flesh, but it was conspicuous by its absence.

Tom. 

I was hoping Bachmann would have the EP samples for the Castle on display at York today so I could have a closer look at it in the flesh, but it was conspicuous by its absence.

Tom.

Odd, as photos of grey EP samples of the three versions they are producing have been published in a number of mags and featured on their website.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Odd, as photos of grey EP samples of the three versions they are producing have been published in a number of mags and featured on their website.

G.

Maybe the fear that too many would take it as a finished model and criticise as such rather than criticising it as an EP. 

Isn't the whole point of an EP to identify whether the design is ready for production or whether some alterations may be necessary? In that respect, identifying that some alteration may be necessary with the current design in order to produce a better model, this EP has served its purpose perfectly.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't the whole point of an EP to identify whether the design is ready for production or whether some alterations may be necessary? In that respect, identifying that some alteration may be necessary with the current design in order to produce a better model, this EP has served its purpose perfectly.

It is, but from observations of comments on here and in other locations, far too many people see them as a finish produce and instantly say it's all wrong I'm not buying.   

It is, but from observations of comments on here and in other locations, far too many people see them as a finish produce and instantly say it's all wrong I'm not buying.

That's correct, after seeing this EP I'm not buying one, I'll hang on and buy a production one. :)

I would have thought that if we are seeing deco samples the tooling had been signed off, so that what we have been shown is (was intended to be?) the production model.

Maybe Bachmann have now decided to withdraw the models from display at York to double check everything given people's comments on here (including mine). That would seem quite sensible and if so to their credit. We know the quality of the N models Bachmann are capable of so maybe on reflection we should wait and see. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain that we've only seen hand painted samples so far Roy. I'm certain the images on the Bachmann website are hand painted, or photoshopped, or maybe a combination of both. Those in Andy's photos are definitely hand painted.  

Looking again at the comparison photos above, I would agree with Zunnan's comments on the front edge of the firebox. However, having looked again at other photos of Castles they appear to show less of a radius than present on 5051:

post-1467-0-62607600-1459193120_thumb.jpg

The grey EP looks a closer match to this than the painted samples, so it's difficult to work out whats going on with the painted samples which appear to show issues with the firebox & possibly boiler. Different EPs perhaps?

Tom. 

To me it looks like the boiler sits fractionally too low where it meets the firebox. Also the firebox top corners are too square.

So had to look up images of 4073 for comparison and to me these confirm this. Looking back it's fair to say we all missed this earlier on its simplly emphasised by paint.

Graham

I would have thought that if we are seeing deco samples the tooling had been signed off, so that what we have been shown is (was intended to be?) the production model.

Maybe Bachmann have now decided to withdraw the models from display at York to double check everything given people's comments on here (including mine). That would seem quite sensible and if so to their credit. We know the quality of the N models Bachmann are capable of so maybe on reflection we should wait and see. 

Roy

Bachmann don't always take all EP samples and all new products to every show. The Castles only didn't go because it's North Eastern territory.

I know some well known custodians of the real thing have looked over the Farish Castle favourably too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are we assuming that the tooling for this has been signed off?

It is a vast improvement on the GF but still doesn't quite seem there.

Looking at the image of the model it is not helped by the over heavy lining that may create a false impression.

However the amount of day light at the front and the undernourished single chimney also concern me.

GWR boiler fittings often seem to be a weak point on models and are either to slender or require some work with a file.

I agree with other comments about the firebox and boiler shape.

The cab side/ cab window relationship looks awry but that could be due to a visual distortion created by the lining.

Will wait and see how the production version turns out I have two on order.

Edited by rprodgers

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this might be of interest... Don't model N myself currently, but on a recent visit to the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition, as well as filming the show I created a video of the Bachmann and Farish stand. On display was an EP of the Castle, which I got a good clip of if your interest... 

post-20663-0-03938800-1462865178_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-46858200-1462865237_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-27262700-1462865250_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-64897400-1462865255_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

Looking at that I could be tempted- even as a North Eastern Region modeller.

Not just yet, however. I'll wait for the supply of good but cheap next18 chips to get sorted out.

Maybe Croft Spa (the model) might yet have Clun Castle passing through it (as did Croft Spa the prototype....)

Les

Overall I am looking forward to the new Castle. The amount of daylight under the front bogie is disappointing but I suspect it is necessary to cope with 9" radius curves. The firebox cladding does look a little square in the photos but I would be surprised if Farish slipped up on basic dimensional details in this day and age.

Looking at that I could be tempted- even as a North Eastern Region modeller.

Not just yet, however. I'll wait for the supply of good but cheap next18 chips to get sorted out.

Maybe Croft Spa (the model) might yet have Clun Castle passing through it (as did Croft Spa the prototype....)

Les

Les,

Very good quality indeed, but I don't know what you regard as cheap, are the ZIMO MX618N18 (non-sound) and MX658N18 (sound) decoders.

ESU have a Next 18 LokPilot and I think a LokSound micro

Kind regards,

Paul