'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

MR-110. DS237 BR Malachite late crest 'Maunsell'. Please note that the production models are correctly finished in the BR shade known as Malachite, as applied to SR coaching stock, not the bright SR Bulleid Malachite as depicted on the pre-production sample. The label uses the term 'Malachite' as this was widely used on the Southern Region at the time, to distinguish it from BR locomotive green. (CJL)

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen photos of the weathered example seen here: http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/50864/MR-106-MR-Bachmann-USA-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-number-30071 it really does look good and brings out all of that lovely underframe detail.

This model is weathered to match a sample supplied by George Dent. It is a step up from usual factory weathering job. (CJL)

• 7 months later...

Not sure where to post, this seems the best place.

I have been looking at drawings and photos to see what would be needed to convert an HO model to SR modified version, and noticed that in SR days they ran partly converted, ie with side windows(rivetted on ), extra vents in roof, but no extended coal bunker, and original windows, ie round ones. Photos are dated 1947, so were they fully converted before BR ?The drawing in Jim Russell's book is also interesting as it does have the extended coal bunker, but still with round windows.

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking at drawings and photos to see what would be needed to convert an HO model to SR modified version, and noticed that in SR days they ran partly converted, ie with side windows(rivetted on ), extra vents in roof, but no extended coal bunker, and original windows, ie round ones. Photos are dated 1947, so were they fully converted before BR ?The drawing in Jim Russell's book is also interesting as it does have the extended coal bunker, but still with round windows.

There are three reasonable places to start the model:

a. The Rivarossi 'European model' (mine shows the loco modified for use in Italy)

b. The Rivarossi 'North American' version

c. The REE model MB-011, which shows the loco in near-original condition (but French number plates)

For a model in early SR condition, I would use the Rivarossi European model - remove the cab roof vent to get the engine back to original condition, then remove the front handrails and steps. I stand to be corrected (of course!) but I'm told you can paint this with Southern Sunshine lettering, choose the number for it with care and use it without being hauled up by the Prototypicality Police.

For a later "USA Class" model, I'd start with the North American version and fabricate a completely new or nearly new cab - I think this is easier and also a lot cheaper, I picked up one of these engines for under £70 posted from the USA. You will have to add buffer beams too, but you do get built-in Kadee style couplers and these are always better than going the NEM socket route.

Both Rivarossi models have the cab rain strips in the wrong place, they need to be a little higher. The REE model has them in the right place. If money is no object then the REE is the place to start and you will end up with a superior model, better mechanism, better chassis.

I have the three models lined up, and essentially here I've simply described my own plans for next Winter - a model in original condition, early mods by the SR, and the full USA Tank conversion. At the end of the day, a layout with tramway style curves and steam haulage looks good to me!

May I just add - a person with the ability to construct a reasonable 3-D print of the USA Class cab (bunker, windows, roof) would likely find at least one customer, who could find at least two or three more :-)

- Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I even start on a design, I need some decent drawings to work from, and it is the lack of drawings of the fully modified engines that puzzles me. If someone can point me to one then I would be very happy. I bought 3 locos from a USA dealer, and even with postage and customs charge, they only worked out at about £50 each.

• RMweb Premium

Before I even start on a design, I need some decent drawings to work from, and it is the lack of drawings of the fully modified engines that puzzles me. If someone can point me to one then I would be very happy. I bought 3 locos from a USA dealer, and even with postage and customs charge, they only worked out at about £50 each.

The research has been done for you - buy a MR model and use it as a drawing. Afterwards, sell it on.

- Richard.

The research has been done for you - buy a MR model and use it as a drawing. Afterwards, sell it on.

- Richard.

The MR model is based on drawings and research material in the National Railway Museum following an initial scan of a preserved locomotive which had been shown to have some post-preservation modifications. (CJL) 

Conversion was a fairly gradual process and there were many combinations of early & late features on different locos - but I'm sure never round windows with extended bunter - sorry Mr.Russell ! ...... if you're interest is early-ish, one loco remained working in Southampton Docks into B.R. days before receiving any significant mods .............. all is explained - more or less - in The Book of the USA Tanks ( KRB Publications ) .... worth seeking out a copy.

• 1 month later...

I too was wondering that, what happens to the limited number of the runs then?

30064 is the same as previously offered. There is no limited edition status on the 'USA's. They are simply a Model Rail exclusive which has been run in small batches. (CJL)

Th

Conversion was a fairly gradual process and there were many combinations of early & late features on different locos - but I'm sure never round windows with extended bunter - sorry Mr.Russell ! ...... if you're interest is early-ish, one loco remained working in Southampton Docks into B.R. days before receiving any significant mods .............. all is explained - more or less - in The Book of the USA Tanks ( KRB Publications ) .... worth seeking out a copy.

The official drawings do show a combination of round windows and extended bunker. (SR84).It is not Mtr Russell's error, but the drawings he had access to. Many photos dated 1947 , still show unmodified locos in SR livery, including number 72.

Incidentally I have noticed that the bunker was modified on 30072 during early days of preservation, and now the base extends beyond the buffer beam, and the hopper extends higher. I had to double check to see if this was a modification prior to preservation. This actually means the version done, is correct for early days of preservation.

My interest is because I am modifying a Rivarossi HO one to condition in late SR and BR days.

I have the book mentioned, but it has a major fault, not having drawing of locos in modified form. There are a few photos showing part modified locos with side windows. Initially I was not certain about the official drawing mentioned above, but on closer examination it did suggest the modified hopper. As with many official drawings(and Russell does mention this in other books), what actually was produced did not necesaarliy match the drawing.

My point in raising the question, was that there was a half modified version, and not all were fully modified before 1948. I am presuming the SR version of the model is one that was fully modified and authenticated by photos. Someone wanting a second loco wold have to double check numbers .

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Th

The official drawings do show a combination of round windows and extended bunker. (SR84).It is not Mtr Russell's error, but the drawings he had access to. Many photos dated 1947 , still show unmodified locos in SR livery, including number 72.

Incidentally I have noticed that the bunker was modified on 30072 during early days of preservation, and now the base extends beyond the buffer beam, and the hopper extends higher. I had to double check to see if this was a modification prior to preservation. This actually means the version done, is correct for early days of preservation.

My interest is because I am modifying a Rivarossi HO one to condition in late SR and BR days.

I have the book mentioned, but it has a major fault, not having drawing of locos in modified form. There are a few photos showing part modified locos with side windows. Initially I was not certain about the official drawing mentioned above, but on closer examination it did suggest the modified hopper. As with many official drawings(and Russell does mention this in other books), what actually was produced did not necesaarliy match the drawing.

My point in raising the question, was that there was a half modified version, and not all were fully modified before 1948. I am presuming the SR version of the model is one that was fully modified and authenticated by photos. Someone wanting a second loco wold have to double check numbers .

30072 has had 2 mods to its bunker (at least) in preservation.

It also carried a US style bell in its Orange livery days.

There is also another form of bunker (not modelled).. the differences are seen clearly here..

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-6FQmg7D/1/35913a64/S/S_BR_30064_30073_GWRA130729_slide6D10-S.jpg

But 30072's preservations mods are unique to it, and aren't reflected in the model.

The preserved ones are heavily modified, 30064 being the only one close to original form.

30072 was modified very early in preservation.

Indeed in its BR days it's bunker was a little different to the others with a big welded plate added

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6221/6431298717_2a7ac30dda_b.jpg

Then Seen here in 1968 with original bunker as BR but now in Orange

http://kwvr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/41241-6806292-RD1.jpg

Then again in 1970, original bunker but now with an extension

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railwaydave/8400944821

And the model...without the welded plates

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/53714/MR-108-MR-Bachmann-USA-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-number-72-KWVR

Finally In its current guise

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/westyorkshire/KWVR/Img_1359.jpg

Oh and here's one with the bell..

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2660/5833757541_2376848b0b_b.jpg

I had thought of modelling a second BR Green one (with 300xx series number), but in the tooling available, 30064 is unique, in BR days and preservation, even Wainwright and Maunsell have been altered in preservation.

The preserved ones would unlikely be candidate for any future tooling change as they are unique (and in some cases not even ex-BR or even US built), but 30073's extended bunker was shared by another class mate in BR days so may potentially be a candidatE, but somehow I think it won't happen.

Edited by adb968008

30072 has had 2 mods to its bunker (at least) in preservation.

It also carried a US style bell in its Orange livery days.

There is also another form of bunker (not modelled).. the differences are seen clearly here..

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-6FQmg7D/1/35913a64/S/S_BR_30064_30073_GWRA130729_slide6D10-S.jpg

But 30072's preservations mods are unique to it, and aren't reflected in the model.

The preserved ones are heavily modified, 30064 being the only one close to original form.

30072 was modified very early in preservation.

Indeed in its BR days it's bunker was a little different to the others with a big welded plate added

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6221/6431298717_2a7ac30dda_b.jpg

Then Seen here in 1968 with original bunker as BR but now in Orange

http://kwvr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/41241-6806292-RD1.jpg

Then again in 1970, original bunker but now with an extension

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railwaydave/8400944821

And the model...without the welded plates

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/53714/MR-108-MR-Bachmann-USA-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-number-72-KWVR

Finally In its current guise

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/westyorkshire/KWVR/Img_1359.jpg

Oh and here's one with the bell..

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2660/5833757541_2376848b0b_b.jpg

I had thought of modelling a second BR Green one (with 300xx series number), but in the tooling available, 30064 is unique, in BR days and preservation, even Wainwright and Maunsell have been altered in preservation.

The preserved ones would unlikely be candidate for any future tooling change as they are unique (and in some cases not even ex-BR or even US built), but 30073's extended bunker was shared by another class mate in BR days so may potentially be a candidatE, but somehow I think it won't happen.

We don't have tooling for an extended bunker, so it can't be done. We originally scanned the 'USA' at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway but it had received so many mods, pre- and post- preservation, that we eventually returned to the original drawings at the NRM. (CJL)

• Like 1

Really looking forward to the BRITISH RAILWAYS version!  :locomotive: I've just made a years subscription to the Magazine too (which I've been meaning to do for years).

Does by subscription number come with my first issue? Or do I get it before hand? 

Really looking forward to the BRITISH RAILWAYS version!  :locomotive: I've just made a years subscription to the Magazine too (which I've been meaning to do for years).

Does by subscription number come with my first issue? Or do I get it before hand? 

It will be on the cover sheet with your first copy (the sheet with your address on it) and it's the long number starting with several noughts. When you order, if you ask Kernow they will be able to verify from their information. (CJL)

It will be on the cover sheet with your first copy (the sheet with your address on it) and it's the long number starting with several noughts. When you order, if you ask Kernow they will be able to verify from their information. (CJL)

Thanks for the info! Will placing my order when it arrives 

Edited by SDJR7F88

• 4 months later...

I bought the Longmoor version whilst at Warley and have just reviewed it for Youtube. Wow! This model looked fine in the pictures, but in the flesh it really is something to behold. For me it is the most impressive locomotive that I have bought new all this year, and that includes compared to the Hornby H class and the Pecketts too. I am very satisfied with this model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Finally gave in, and ordered the NCB one.  It arrived today, and it's been out for a spin on the plank.  Runs well straight out of the box; looks fantastic.

I seem to remember seeing a photo of one in use with the NCB Opencast Exec in Scotland at one point, but it wasn't a success.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...