'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

30073 has the U shaped handrail

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-kJh97CN/0/L/S_BR_30073_GWRA130729-L.jpg

and the single lubricator

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-tank-engines/i-6FQmg7D/1/L/S_BR_30064_30073_GWRA130729_slide6D10-L.jpg

So 30064 as modelled is actually totally correct for 30073

won't spoil my enjoyment of the model.

I mean since 2010 Hornby have been sticking mechanical lubricators on castle's that didn't have them at all! The fact is that in terms of basic outline, and quality of production, this seems to be an excellent model. But not quite perfect in every regard!

There had to be a few minor compromises. As I've said before, virtually no two of these locos were identical. The more we did to accommodate variations, the more the price crept up and there comes a point where you simply can't keep saying 'yes, let's do that and blow the cost.' (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

My 30064 arrived this morning, beautiful model. Been running-in this morning, very smooth and quiet. Hope to fit a decoder later today.

First pic is on the mainline with a SNCF (HO) version in the background:

post-586-0-43055700-1472124975.jpg

....and later posing on shed:

post-586-0-79645300-1472124926.jpg

It is interesting seeing how much smaller the HO version released by REE Modelles is which despite being smaller comes equipped with working lights, sound and crew.......but at a price somewhat higher than the MR/Bachmann model.

Keith

• Like 3

... I'll stick my neck out and say I feel it's the best produced OO RTR steam loco I've seen ...

That's a replay of what I thought sixteen years ago with the first example of Bachmann's first Blue Riband locos, the WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0. At last a RTR OO steam model that matched what had long been the normal baseline standard for HO product to be regarded as models. I see in another post above mention is made of a five pole motor, another parallel with the WD, originally fitted with a very sweet Buhler five pole can on a 40:1 gear train. The standard of drive I should have liked Bach to continue with. Bit of a 'back to the future' trip going on here methinks.

...Maybe Bachmann should switch to USA-models for the British market...

That wouldn't be a class with a 2-8-0 arrangement you're thinking of would it?

Otherwise the candidate field is a little limited. What come to mind are some largely forgotten mogul designs bought in by the MR and GNR to counter a pre-WWI loco building capacity problem, and the near unknown 'Lovett Eames' 4-2-2, improbably possessed of the largest grate area of any loco that has run on the UK network, in addition to air brake (its purpose in the UK as a demonstrator) and a funky steam piston mechanism acting on a compensating beam to load up the driving axle for maximum starting adhesion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My 30064 arrived this morning, beautiful model. Been running-in this morning, very smooth and quiet. Hope to fit a decoder later today.

attachicon.gifUSA-03.jpg

attachicon.gifUSA-01.jpg

It is interesting seeing how much smaller the HO version released by REE Modelles is which despite being smaller comes equipped with working lights, sound and crew.......but at a price somewhat higher than the MR/Bachmann model.

Keith

That one on the left seems to have shrunk a bit in the wash... ;)

That's always been the case though, the UK market wants heavily detailed feature rich models but will not by all accounts pay the price required. There is a comment on either this or the other thread (NB surely they should be merged) that the Bachmann model is £15 too expensive so imagine the explosive messages if it had lights, sound and a crew and at a price to match.

• RMweb Gold

Mine has just arrived (30069) and it's a little cracker. One immediately noticable fault however was the smokebox number plate issue as reported by Andy in his post. With the top lamp bracket at 12 o'clock it is definitely off by a couple degrees.

I am not, however, going to let this spoil my appreciation of what is a cracking little model. One other thing, kudos to Kernow for honouring their price pledge...£104.95 inc postage is a bit of a steal these days for such a high quality model.

Mine has just arrived (30069) and it's a little cracker. One immediately noticable fault however was the smokebox number plate issue as reported by Andy in his post. With the top lamp bracket at 12 o'clock it is definitely off by a couple degrees.

I am not, however, going to let this spoil my appreciation of what is a cracking little model. One other thing, kudos to Kernow for honouring their price pledge...£104.95 inc postage is a bit of a steal these days for such a high quality model.

That's actually Model Rail's price pledge. Kernow sends them out and takes the payments, but in all other respects it is Model Rail's project and keeping that price promise has been a very painful exercise in the face of repeated increases in manufacturing cost. (CJL)

attachicon.gifUSA-03.jpg

attachicon.gifUSA-01.jpg

Keith

any chance of a bunker to bunker shot to compare sizes without perspective distorting things?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

That's actually Model Rail's price pledge. Kernow sends them out and takes the payments, but in all other respects it is Model Rail's project and keeping that price promise has been a very painful exercise in the face of repeated increases in manufacturing cost. (CJL)

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks to Model Rail it is then!

Seem to appear from the time of the aerials being fitted, which is what threw me into thinking they were aerials. (Apologies - have edited my previous message). Just had a rummage through the relevant Locos Illustrated but no comment.

Update on my #272 : It's a 'KRB Publication' not Noodle Books - and on p40 says "In early 1958, two of the class, 30065 and 30067, were modified at Eastleigh with vertical stanchions welded to the front of the side tanks in place of the original small horizontal handrails, .... possibly in consequence of injury to staff. A short time later, on 27th August 1958, an observer noticed that 30064 and 30074 had received similar modifications. The remaining members of the class were similarly dealt with later." ....... fitting of radios "commenced in July 1957" : not quite the same time, but pretty close.

Got my first two today - Can I echo PhilH's comment - very well done to ModelRail for honouring the price. To be honest I only half expected you to keep it - so congratulations.

Quality-wise I am really glad I increased my order. A very nice model - goodness knows what the little variations did to the cost of production !!

In terms of performancewise fully up to my requirements (at least Adams tank standard :jester: )  of 15 coaches on my test track but better than the Adams as they do it with no slipping at all on around 4.3v backwards or forwards and no hesitation thro inner radii of Peco curved points in doing so. 

Update on my #272 : It's a 'KRB Publication' not Noodle Books - and on p40 says "In early 1958, two of the class, 30065 and 30067, were modified at Eastleigh with vertical stanchions welded to the front of the side tanks in place of the original small horizontal handrails, .... possibly in consequence of injury to staff. A short time later, on 27th August 1958, an observer noticed that 30064 and 30074 had received similar modifications. The remaining members of the class were similarly dealt with later." ....... fitting of radios "commenced in July 1957" : not quite the same time, but pretty close.

Thanks for that, and Butler Henderson too.

I was mainly wondering what dates the model was correct for without any alterations. Early 1950s until about 1958 is good enough for me.

I'll have to pick up a copy of that Sprenger book now though.

Jason

Thanks for that, and Butler Henderson too.

I was mainly wondering what dates the model was correct for without any alterations. Early 1950s until about 1958 is good enough for me.

I'll have to pick up a copy of that Sprenger book now though.

Jason

..... and having had another look through the book it's obvious that its Horrible Handrail History is rather simplified ! : some early photos ( Newbury dump ) seem to show no handrail at all at the front of the tank but the lateral 'Trip Hazard' appears to be the more common fitting - then some of the Southern locos had this repositioned along the side of the tank where the fireman would be less likely to catch his toe .... and finally the upright stanchion was welded on in its place ( 64 and 72, at least had 'Trip Hazards' and stanchions at the same time ............ yep, dated photo of chosen prototype required ).

Edited by Wickham Green

Is it just me, or do the Southern-installed square cab front windows actually make these locos look more 'American' than the original, quite European round windows?

Postie has just been, and signed for box containing, I hope, 30064 has arrived. but far too much work on today to open and 'play'.... Fear of deadlines is (thankfully) more powerful than excitement of yankie tank!

Edited by G-BOAF

30069 arrived yesterday morning and it ran beautifully straight out of its box. The wait was definitely worth it, only delayed slightly by my card details timing out. Once reactivated with a phone call, it arrived in less than 48 hours. My thanks go to ( in order, I hope):-

Model Rail, Bachmann, Chinese factory personnel, the shipping line and Kernow. And finally, not forgetting, my local Postie. 

Thank you one and all for a splendid team effort. Keep up the good work.

Tod

Can Chris Leigh (Model Rail and Dibber 25) advise whether the USA Tanks are fitted with coreless motors. This comes about as Richard Foster in the Model Rail review of the Ivatt 2-6-2 Tank  in Septembers MR, advised that the Ivatt model was fitted with a coreless motor, and I've seen the 2-6-2 instructions, which are a new more detailed style, which advise 'For best results Don't use with Electronic Track Cleaners or Feedback Controllers'. Both of these items are problematic with coreless motors. Is this what Richard used to confirm the motor type. Having received my USA Tank, it also has the new style Bachmann instructions and has the same warning. As some DC users will have track cleaners and/or feedback controllers it would help to have confirmation of the motor type.

Lovely model of the early crest USA tank, and thanks to Model Rail for holding the price for the early orders, it makes a huge difference of over £25, which is much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

The electronics for DCC decoders don't play well with electronic track cleaners or feedback controllers either, so it could be that the wording given was to cover DCC fitted items, and reused for DCC ready items just in case?

The electronics for DCC decoders don't play well with electronic track cleaners or feedback controllers either, so it could be that the wording given was to cover DCC fitted items, and reused for DCC ready items just in case?

I don't think this is the case as the instructions seem to be tailored to each model. The Ivatt 2-6-2 instructions have a separate para to cover the DCC fitted option as there is one version that is DCC fitted. That para is not part of the USA tank instructions. Hopefully we'll hear from the manufacturer.

DCC fitting very easy

Fitting the brake rods - slightly frustrating, ended up reaming out the holes nearest the cab, which just happen to part of the metal chassis

Fitting the vertical - very frustrating as it was obviously designed without thinking about the handrails on the smokebox door. Sort of got into place but slightly loose and flops forward slightly.

DCC fitting very easy

Fitting the brake rods - slightly frustrating, ended up reaming out the holes nearest the cab, which just happen to part of the metal chassis

Fitting the vertical - very frustrating as it was obviously designed without thinking about the handrails on the smokebox door. Sort of got into place but slightly loose and flops forward slightly.

"Fitting the brake rods - slightly frustrating, ended up reaming out the holes nearest the cab, which just happen to part of the metal chassis". Agreed.

"Fitting the vertical (smokebox plate) - very frustrating as it was obviously designed without thinking about the handrails on the smokebox door. Sort of got into place but slightly loose and flops forward slightly". Me too - until I removed the body, and then it was a doddle. If it's still loose it isn't engaged in the holes in the bufferbeam support brackets, and it could drop off.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

latest KMRC newsletter says there are more orders for MR104 and MR103 than all of the rest combined. Assuming MR103 is close to sold out, that equates to c.1000 models.

That means there are fewer than 1000 pre-orders for the remaining 8 varients of 4000 models (if my maths is correct). Seems a bit on the low side, given the popularity of the class, and the lead time.... and the fact that additional liveries were added before production. I hope the rest sell well in time.