Mysterious New Hornby Flying Scotsman A1 or A3?

robmcg

A4's are the only ones ever to have Streamlined Tenders .

Royal Lancer was a total dog of a issue in that it should have had a GN type Tender it never pulled a streamlined Corridor version. The main reason why they are still trying to sell them on ebay and elsewhere !!. Hornby have never done the 1928 Corridor tender in the current super detail type. Easy to do just cut off with a scalpel blade. 

Woolwinder built 1925 if it has a GN Cab is wrong only the 1923 builds plus GN and FS had that type of  extended Cab roof.

Rob

All the Tender info is in the fold out sheet at the rear of RCTS Pt2A for your info.

Royal Lancer clearly is wrong, then, with the scalloped streamlined profile to the top of a tender it never had, I should search out pictures of a correct 1928-on A3 corridor tender, presuming Hornby have not made a super-detail one.

What a mine of information that sheet at the back of the RCTS Part 2A is!  I hadn't realised that all the rhd drive A3s were converted to lhd in 1952-54.

I wonder why Hornby have not always used reliable historical information in specifying A1/A3 details?

Thanks 

typo edit

Her tender is 1928 style corridor tender No. 5325 which was one of the tenders used by an A4 (60033 Seagull?) in the 1948 loco trials. These 3 tenders were cut down around the water filler to allow non LNER water cranes to reach. However 60103's tender top seems to have changed around during preservation, some 1980s pictures show all the streamlining removed but it has clearly returned.

Edit: How did you go about removing the coping? I may do something similar when the Locomotion 60103 comes out.

• RMweb Premium

I just cut it with a new blade. I didn't try to follow the curve as shown in that pic, I simply went straight down behind the coal divider and across. I'll post an image comparing mine with the 68 version.

• RMweb Premium

image_zpsvedismrh.jpeg

This shows the mods between my tender and 4472 as she was in the late 60's/early 70's. I havent redone the rear lining simply because the 2nd tender is right behind it and pretty much hides it.

My version (all from editing Flying Fox and Book Law pics) of an early 1930s 'Flying Scotsman' 4472...

I am however concocting a version with high-detail corridor tender, high-detail engine chassis with 5-pole etc., and a RR A1-style Flying Scotsman body, just for fun. So far only the chassis has arrived from the UK.

post-7929-0-80234400-1457404787_thumb.jpg

edit; lamp irons fixed as per following post.

another concocted version of Flying Scotsman LNER 103 in 1943-47 wartime black...  not modelled by Hornby in this A1/10 right-and-drive form in black at least.

The millenium R2146 apple green tender-drive version is close, but I don't see many of them for sale.

Wartime black certainly looks good on an A10/3, but then almost anything would...     not BR purple though!   :)

post-7929-0-93488200-1457311905_thumb.jpg

Guest spet0114

Hi Rob,

Your early 30s Scotsman should only have five lamp irons, not six. The 'two-close together' should only appear on the left hand side of the loco (viewed from the front, looking towards the cab).

Cheers
Adrian

• RMweb Gold

another concocted version of Flying Scotsman LNER 103 in 1943-47 wartime black...  not modelled by Hornby in this A1/10 right-and-drive form in black at least.

The millenium R2146 apple green tender-drive version is close, but I don't see many of them for sale.

Wartime black certainly looks good on an A10/3, but then almost anything would...     not BR purple though!   :)

attachicon.gif103_R3080_A3_103_Rhd_5abc_full_r1200.jpg

A conversion to a single chimney can be achieved with the installation of a Brassmasters one.

attachicon.gif103_R3080_A3_103_Rhd_5abc_full_r1200.jpg

Great photo.

Gresley A1 or A3  I am planning on adding to my collection of LNER  pacific loco`s by  acquiring LNER 2547 Doncaster in the next few months.

The other week at the Doncaster Model Rail show to old lads where sat having a coffee one was saying Flying Scotsman was better in / as

a  Gresley A1 the other saying no it was better looking in A3 style . It was just like to kids saying City are better than United in the play ground.

Flying Scotsman is Flying Scotsman be it in A1 OR A3 I said to them as I left my table . But I think Hornby produce an hybrid version

of Flying Scotsman from what I have seen over the time I have got into Model Railways ,I'm not a rail buff of anY form just like Gresley & Peppercorn

/ LNER  loco`s. And the Duches Class even though they are from that red rose part of the north.

A conversion to a single chimney can be achieved with the installation of a Brassmasters one.

Thankyou Ian, it is useful to know we can do that.  

The conversion of the wartime NE version from left-hand-drive to right-hand drive would be a little more complicated! :)

These are all lovely models and here are two recent acquisitions of mine,  R2441 4472 NRM s/h through Hattons and R2598M 2569 A1 s/h through Ebay,  well pleased!

post-7929-0-36894500-1457403531_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-45449000-1457403565_thumb.jpg

Both Gladiateur and Flying Scotsman look great Rob.

Indeed they do, but I must take heed of Flying Scotsman mania symptoms...   I bought an Australian Tour R2687 version which just arrived here today, well-packed with bubble-wrap in a good box,, and in the standard two-part Hornby box with foam enclosure and sleeve box, with foam inserts and paper, but as sometimes happens between the UK and NZ some sort of vibration and/or handling effect meant that in this case one brass safety valve was loose in the packet, the cab was loose, a cab door was off and in the packet, the driver's seat was sideways in the cab, and as is almost universal in second-hand Hornby models, lamp brackets were bent and one broke off when I gently tried to suggest it straighten. At least the loose bits were not missing!

I think the fragility of modern models means that unless you have good skills with fingers, tweezers, glue and eyesight you might as well forget about  perfect condition.

edit; I have taken a photo however, with lamp bracket restored and cab snug on the floor-plate. Sanda Kan at its best?

post-7929-0-62766000-1457484806_thumb.jpg

I am however concocting a version with high-detail corridor tender, high-detail engine chassis with 5-pole etc., and a RR A1-style Flying Scotsman body, just for fun. So far only the chassis has arrived from the UK.

Replying to myself, I have experimented with a cobbled-together RR body bought on Ebay for UKP12 and placed on a super detail chassis UKP29 and added the super detail tender UKP19 having made sure there no satan's plugs involved and thus compatible. It runs perfectly but the body sits 1-2mm high on the DCC-plug wiring loom over the top of the motor. I have fixed this by editing, being unskilled at wiring.

I reasoned that if Hornby can mess around with edited pics of an A1 in something like 1928-36 non-stop Flying Scotsman London-Edinburgh condition, I can too.

Hornby's recent website A1 pic slightly enhanced by me.

post-7929-0-37837900-1457919473_thumb.jpg

And my s/h RR 4472 body, recent DCC-ready chassis and corridor tender, suitably edited.

post-7929-0-80142500-1457919576_thumb.jpg

All great fun, not a bad model too.  :)

Anyone have any idea if you could swap the body of R2441 onto the current Scotsman version with TTS sound? Im considering that as an option for cheap sound in the LNER one and probably end up buying a BR Green version to put full sound in given this weeks performance on NYMR.

Archived