2-HAP from Bachmann

Jon Taylor

What a great start to 2016!

An RTR BR design 2-HAP to go with the 2-EPB.

Have ordered the blue and grey version, but I'm puzzled that Bachmann are not offering it in all-blue- not yet anyway.

Anyone know of any forthcoming special edition blue ones?

Jon Taylor

• RMweb Gold

When the 2-EPB first came out it, was in original green only.  With the 2-HAP you already have 3 versions from day 1.  Presumably further variations will depend on sales figures ....

I guess production slots and a realistic volume of sales across more than three liveries.

Blue will come no doubt, Blue/Grey fits nicely alongside Network Southeast so given the number of models for this period B/G is probably the better livery option this year.

• RMweb Gold

To have function control of direction-dependent headcodes (white vs. red blinds) and control of internal lighting from a single DCC decoder requires a 3-pole coupling connector which Bachmann have never produced.  Not a problem for the MLV as it has no interior lighting needing control. On the Thumper the interior lighting works off the same function as the headcodes, but you have an on-off switch on the coach undersides so that you can choose to run with just headcodes illuminated. The 4CEPs have two functions - one for headcodes and one for interior lights but the headcodes are not direction-dependent.

I have a blue 2EPB with white blinds at one end and red at the other but they don't change with direction. I suspect it was Bachmann's intention to do so as there seems to be wiring for it. When my 2EPBs change direction the lights blink and the headcodes dim slightly at one end. But I suspect it might cause a manufacturing problem for Bachmann as green EMUs didn't have red blinds till much later. White blinds and a trusty oil lamp were used.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You are fortunate you bought two. I bought one which I built and fitted with a Replica motor bogie chassis, which went fine, but my final paint job was something I do not wish to share.... It would appear unlikely that Charlie will release any more.

So I look forward to an RTR! But you may be right - only Hattons seem to quoting the June 19 date. Kernow and Bachmann's own site certainly are not right now.

• 2 months later...

See this link for the CAD produced for tooling (scroll to about half way down for the 2 HAP).

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=293&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=header&utm_campaign=Newsletter15051866BachmannUpdates#414

I see the motor coach roof has rainstrips. Then the trailer seems to have bog filler pipes on the roof. I trust this is correct. Also the shape the the drive's windows.

Dave.

I see the motor coach roof has rainstrips. Then the trailer seems to have bog filler pipes on the roof. I trust this is correct. Also the shape the the drive's windows.

Dave.

Toilet filler pipes on the roof seem ok, but can't see any rainstrip on either vehicles.

post-4474-0-63628300-1526748642_thumb.jpg 

Roof should look like this:

5385145155_a57a5326a3_z.jpg2-HAP_6079_10-3-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This applies only to the 6043-6105 batch, which is the one Bachmann is modelling.

I have sent a message to Bachmann on their contact function within their website, pointing this out. Hopefully they can correct this during the EP stage. Perhaps you and others can message them too, so that they take it seriously?

• 9 months later...

Yes, from the photo, 4322 is from the third batch, originally 6106-6146, built for the Kent Coast Phase II electrification. These had Commonwealth inner bogies and internal tank filler pipes as well as the external window frames and no vent in the toilet window. Very few of this batch survived long enough to be renumbered into the 43XX series. Also note the discontinuous gutters.

5431211475_51e5b7ae6c_z.jpg2-HAP_6121 MaidstW fromStrood_19-10-79 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2

The last batch had additional angled gutters along the roofs as well as the features mentioned by Paul and Robert. I'm not sure if Bachmann intend to do all of the possible variations. The single piece toilet windows should be an easy change, but the phase 2 window frames probably need a complete new mould for each coach. Don't forget the shallower headcode panels too on the last batch.Bachmann have not offered any of the variations on their 2 EPB models, so maybe they'll just limit themselves to the one (or two) suitable batches of HAPs.

Four batches of BR 2 Haps:

6001-42:

5355696344_eca2b0037f_z.jpg2-HAP_6021_PettsWd_27-5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Bachmann could do this fairly easily with a new roof on the DTC as the 2 EPB MBS would be OK.

6043-6105 - the batch Bachmann has modelled:

5385145155_a57a5326a3_z.jpg2-HAP_6079_10-3-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Note that this one still has a whistle.

6106-6146:

21175661679_ae0fc1d806_z.jpg2-HAP_6140_1739-Wloo-Alton_Woking_24-8-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

6147-73:

5408664234_90038132f6_z.jpg2-HAP_6154_MaidstW_25-5-76 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This was the shortest-lived batch. All had gone by c1985.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3