Exclusive 'Golden Arrow' Class 71s

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for your patience on this one. We know people are anxious to get their models.

After work carried out by both Dave Jones and Hatton's we're now in a position to release the BR blue liveried models.

QC is ongoing with the green versions and will follow on as soon as possible.

If you'd like to read the full announcement on our website, you can find it HERE.

Cheers, 

Dave

• Like 2

Can you confirm that E5013 in blue is meant to represent the loco working the last Golden Arrow on 30th September 1972 ?

Thanks

...... the final ‘Golden Arrow’ on the 30th September 1972, hauled by classmate E5013.

attachicon.gifGoldenArrowE5013.jpg

Image Courtesy of Colour-Rail.

Both locomotives will be supplied pre-fitted with the Golden Arrow headboard and dual French / Union Flags ( one end only) as well as bodyside arrow emblem. ........ and one end of E5013 as per photographs of the Golden Arrow’s last journey.

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

Did the class have slow speed control? Could the real locomotive actually crawl really slowly?

The class was designed and built years before MGR trains existed as a concept and creep control was considered useful, and the Southern never had very much involvement, although APCM Northfleet comes to mind. And neither third rail nor OLE fits well with MGR operation. So the answer is not by design, at least.

• Like 1

Did the class have slow speed control? Could the real locomotive actually crawl really slowly?

Under pure DC control, when a DJM model pulls out of a station with a big load, you can really capture that initial start and slow acceleration of the real thing. Other modern models from other makes are good here too, but still (*) won't match the DJM model to do this until they are converted to DCC with a back emf enabled chip. Indeed I felt most current models moving off were very good until I got a DJM 71.

In general, the real loco would not reach top speed until it was well clear of the built up areas and plowing through the Garden of England. So unless your layout captures those areas, it should be ok for most people's needs.

*(this said in  general - there is going to be an odd model from time to time that has 100% perfect free running. For example, I have a Hornby A1 which moves ever so slowly on any DC controler's lowest setting and never stalls).

Under pure DC control, when a DJM model pulls out of a station with a big load, you can really capture that initial start and slow acceleration of the real thing. Other modern models from other makes are good here too, but still (*) won't match the DJM model to do this until they are converted to DCC with a back emf enabled chip. Indeed I felt most current models moving off were very good until I got a DJM 71.

In general, the real loco would not reach top speed until it was well clear of the built up areas and plowing through the Garden of England. So unless your layout captures those areas, it should be ok for most people's needs.

*(this said in  general - there is going to be an odd model from time to time that has 100% perfect free running. For example, I have a Hornby A1 which moves ever so slowly on any DC controler's lowest setting and never stalls).

In reality these were fast and powerful locomotives. As someone who commuted to Brussels on the Boat Train from time to time in the 70's I can tell you there was no 'slow acceleration' out of London Victoria when pulled by a class 71. If there were no track problems they 'went for it'. I wouldn't mind betting that by the time the last coach cleared the platform we were doing well in excess of 45mph. A good job rolling stock and track were well maintained in those BR days because the performance of the Boat Train, Golden Arrow etc needed it. I cant ever remember a Boat Train that was late! But it was a long time ago!

Yes of course they had to slow down and crawl along from time to time having to share the busy rail network with masses of commuter trains - no dedicated HST track in those days. 

So I am looking forward to my blue class 71 arriving tomorrow (hopefully) where it will be joined by a blue Bachmann PMV and Pullman coaches and yes it will be travelling slowly in a mock congested commuter model situation. And hey it will look good to boot. I have put away the Hornby class 73's in the cupboard lest they got an inferiority complex from comparison with DJ Model class 71 detail!

I, for one, hope to enjoy and reminisce over the 'good old days'.

PS ALL of my DCC locos (steam, diesel and electric) will 'crawl' to a halt and stop at a signal with brake squeal.

Edited by DoverPriory

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, unfortunately the photo used was taken on the 26th September, 4 days prior to the last run. By the 30th E5013 has gained 4 numbers as per these photos :-  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/8520527185/in/album-72157603648772112/

http://railphotoprints.uk/p287659169

http://www.semgonline.com/misc/named_17.html

So whilst it can be said that the model represents the loco in the early part of the last week, it is not in last run condition.

I only noticed this as I was looking at availability yesterday, as I saw the Arrow on its last run at Folkestone, and to me the omission of the second number on each side stuck out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Morning all,

I'm happy to say that we've got an update for you in regards to our green Class 71s.

QC has now been completed and the models are now available to purchase HERE on our website.

We'd like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay, but believe that it has resulted in a better end product.

Cheers,
Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yodel has been and delivered my parcel from Hattons. Some quick pics:

post-586-0-41306700-1501078399.jpg

post-586-0-49158900-1501078424.jpg

post-586-0-00739800-1501078452.jpg

When I looked at the pics noticed the following:

- the Union Jack was not level with that of the French flag - that was corrected within seconds - the flags at the other end was ok.

- the green colour of the loco appearing in the picture on my pc screen is much darker on the screen than in real life.

Loco now running-in on my analogue test track before fitting sound decoder bought from DC Kits many moons ago.

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good question..  One I am struggling with at the moment.Well that and the haulage capability.My benchmark GA set is one van and 8 lit Hornby Pullmans.E 5010 does not find that to her taste. So......what now ? The model that dare not speak its name has no difficulty. Looks like a life on parcels work for E 5010 then.Which leaves me to contemplate the subject of this thread.Slow speed control through Dover Marine perhaps ?

I kept the faith and did not cancel my order for the Hattons GA version.There is a difference out of the box.No exhortations to stop from any DJM card and this model has been lubricated.

It runs all the better for that and lacks the gear growl that my first model has. So..good move,Hattons.I appreciate this.

On the track,it is still no greyhound and really, top speed is way below what it should be.However........it does the job with my benchmark GA as above and will shift the set from a slow crawl and has not yet stalled.As reported,slow speed control is phenomenal but it needs full whack on the Gaugemaster DC control to get anything like a reasonable 50/60mph "cruise"

No matter,I will live with that.

I must commend the quality of the finish and the "Arrow" headboard,flags and body arrows. IMHO outstanding.The model presents immaculately.I love the livery job too.

So,ultimately well done to the "Two Daves" for the integrity shown when they were initially delivered and for the promptness in putting matters right :imsohappy:

• Like 2