Greenville - a new HO layout

mog

Really not sure how regularly I'll be able to update as progress may be slow, (some pretty time-consuming family stuff going on)..  but I am introducing my new build - Greenville. At the moment the layout is just a framework and a few ideas but I thought that naming it and committing to posting 'diary' updates might give me some impetus in getting it built!

At the moment I'm still not settled on a plan, however, I'm pretty certain that this will be another layout based on my 'Yellow Pine' RR and very likely be set in a similar area and period to 'Brett' (ie North West US 80s/90s)

I've been very tempted to do something inspired by the CSX Sebring Airport spur, but might get my fussy out for that one on something smaller and portable.

I'm hoping I can apply some stuff that I've learned to the plan and construction.

Anyway - part one of the 'Greenville Diaries':

https://youtu.be/LPHHyyuwvNg

• Like 3

Looking interesting, Martin.

I must say you are very brave appearing in your videos like you do!

Can I ask you a favour - next time you're over my way can you come and tidy my office/railway room and make it look as neat as yours! ;)

Look forward to seeing progress.

Looking interesting, Martin.

I must say you are very brave appearing in your videos like you do!

Can I ask you a favour - next time you're over my way can you come and tidy my office/railway room and make it look as neat as yours! ;)

Look forward to seeing progress.

Brave? What are you saying? ;-p

• 3 months later...

It was good to see some progress, I missed out on the 2nd and 3rd installments of the diary, I guess i should have had you subbed, but then I have to do another purge of my YT anyway as there are so many channels and not enough time to keep up with them all.

Nice to see the progress on Greenville on your video diaries.

I particularly like your track plan, it has a nice spacious look and reasonably long spurs. Given the space you have, it would be tempting to cram in more track, turnouts and spurs.

3 spurs/industries can provide have plenty of switching activity on a small layout.

I'll be following with interest.

Mal

• 5 months later...

Great video and switching ops.  Another excellent example of  'less is more' showing that you don't need to cram in as much track as possible to create a satisfying switching layout.

Watching Greenville convinced me that I should include a run around in my current project, The Marlborough Branch. 

Mal

• Like 2

Thought maybe I should bump this.. I don't lurk in RMWeb much and clearly missing out on some great builds chaps. Just posted an 'ops' video on youtube..

https://youtu.be/T-zVgjJwJa4

What a FANTASTIC layout!!! It's us here who've been missing out (if we haven't followed on YouTube :( :blush: ) I like the curving road at the layout entrance - a great bit of forced perspective modelling.

Mog...nice layout and enjoyed that last video indeed. how well has the SwitchList programme been working gor you?? And are you finding that the Caboose groundthrows stand-up to the job??

Cheers

Gene

Mog...nice layout and enjoyed that last video indeed. how well has the SwitchList programme been working gor you?? And are you finding that the Caboose groundthrows stand-up to the job??

Cheers

Gene

Hi Gene.. Switchlist works just fine for me.. I do find sometimes that it will want to keep dispatching the same cars, but playing with the loads and assignments to see if I can iron out that wrinkle. The groundthrows are okay so far too.. I know they don't look very prototypical but it was a compromise for me. They don't feel very strong, so I do wonder how long they'll last.. but maybe that's intentional give in the material chosen?

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Martin, watched your Youtube videos over the weekend, most enjoyable really liked seeing the evolution of the layout.

Soldering has never been a favourite of mine and it good to se you are pleased with the results of power feed joiners and Scotchblock connectors.

Link to railscenics.com was appreciated and one of their Medium power bus starter kits (218-005) has duly been ordered. :)

I was going to top my hollow core doors with XPS but I think I am also likely be going old school and topping the boards with cork tiles.

Which sky colour did you select in the end, looks good on the vids

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Vanrouge

Thanks for posting Martin, watched your Youtube videos over the weekend, most enjoyable really liked seeing the evolution of the layout.

Soldering has never been a favourite of mine and it good to se you are pleased with the results of power feed joiners and Scotchblock connectors.

Link to railscenics.com was appreciated and one of their Medium power bus starter kits (218-005) has duly been ordered. :)

I was going to top my hollow core doors with XPS but I think I am also likely be going old school and topping the boards with cork tiles.

Which sky colour did you select in the end, looks good on the vids

Cheers

Nic

Thanks Nick, really appreciate your comments.. re the sky colour.. I think (!) I went for the dulux mineral mist. Having a bit of a memory lapse, but it was either that or something else very close to it!

• 3 months later...