Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo
* * * * - 9 votes

Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings)

• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#551 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationByfleet, an old village of England.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:35

As an update to clarify what the buildings are, what I'm making or have already constructed here's a breakdown of that photo:

Plan 1.jpg

The brown outlined structure is the station footbridge which I've mostly made and completed. It was demolished as part of the recent station rebuilding.

The black outline is a row of houses that have been demolished and not replaced and will be just a 'car park' on the layout so no need to model.

The dark blue outlined building is the Shipwrights Arms pub and house next door that still remains (grade II listed) and that I have already built.

The red outlined building is the SER office 'flat iron' building now demolished by Network Rail to have an open plaza but that I have already made.

The green outline is the corner buildings of Bermondsey Street and Tooley Street that are still there and I have already made.

The light blue is the office/shop block now demolished and replaced with a Hilton Hotel that I'm about to start making. It will be low relief hence the line going through the centre.

The purple outline is of buildings in Tooley street that I have little details of and have been demolished. I guess I will need to make them at some time.

All the buildings in the photo behind light blue structure have been demolished but will be behind the back-scene board line so won't need to be made as models. The chateaux style building to the right in Tooley street is still there and I will have to consider making that.

HTH.

G.

• Informative/Useful x 2
  • Like x 2

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#552 Marly51

Marly51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 22:08

Very challenging, but rewarding, when you piece together all the research! Great modelmaking techniques - thank you for sharing.
Marlyn
  • Thanks x 1

#553 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:21

The first step was to work out the space to fit the model in and draw up a suitable plan for it - not difficult being a low relief model to go at the back, but I introduced a slight exaggeration of the quite vague curvature for interest and to help prevent and counter the regimented parallel lines effect often seen on layouts with low relief buildings.

DSC_4387.JPG

It does seem that the more one looks at photos of a real subject the more one sees and there was some slight changes made when finally cutting the first parts - four main floor formers:

DSC_4389.JPG

The pics only show a rough character 3D sketch rather than a full size floor plan that I drew up as a guide. And apologies for the poor quality of pics - I'll try and go back to taking better ones on a tripods for future snaps.

G

• Like x 4

#554 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:31

Next I've cut the end side walls and added floor supports to them, finally gluing the floors in place with small triangular fillets to help keep them at right angles. However, when the wall panels are added they will help pull everything together square and true. Now it's possible to see the overall size and footprint:

DSC_4390.JPG

G.

• Like x 5

#555 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:20

Then I cut and glued in place the two return/reveal walls that form the ends of the recessed part of the building. These helped to firm up the structure.

DSC_4395.JPG

G.

• Like x 5
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#556 Ian Smeeton

Ian Smeeton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 21:01

Yes, I try to model and include all appropriate roof top details as they tend to be more obvious in N/2mm scale with people often looking down on the structures. For me the finish of roofs is as important as the rest of the building.

I seem to be have been low on card stock supplies so, this morning after some food shopping, I popped along to the localish Hobbycraft store and picked up some mount board. At £3 for an A1 sheet (a little over 23" x 33") it's good value. Now it's eyes down and ready to get started on the next building.

G.

I dropped in to a local picture framer, and for the asking, was handed a pile of mount board sufficient for all the buildings on my layout, the baseboards, legs and a small extension to the house.

Regards (tightly)

Ian

• Funny x 1
  • Like x 1

#557 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:40

I've been a little busy with other things but have managed this evening to cut and add a few bits of card to the structure:

DSC_4396.JPG

G.

• Like x 4

#558 Compound2632

Compound2632

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:27

Those middle bearing walls put paid to the idea you might use this building as stock storage shelves...

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#559 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 13:12

I went away to Stevenage for most of the weekend including a visit to the CMRA show so not much opportunity for working on the building. And this morning it's just a few bits cut and added: 

DSC_4491.JPG

But now the spectre of the windows walls is looming - all that cutting out and so on. I need to work out exactly how I'll try to replicate the modernish 60s style and I could do with some clearer photos for a better look.

G.

• Like x 4

#560 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Sussex

Posted 15 January 2018 - 15:48

As an update to clarify what the buildings are, what I'm making or have already constructed here's a breakdown of that photo:

attachicon.gifPlan 1.jpg

The brown outlined structure is the station footbridge which I've mostly made and completed. It was demolished as part of the recent station rebuilding.

The black outline is a row of houses that have been demolished and not replaced and will be just a 'car park' on the layout so no need to model.

The dark blue outlined building is the Shipwrights Arms pub and house next door that still remains (grade II listed) and that I have already built.

The red outlined building is the SER office 'flat iron' building now demolished by Network Rail to have an open plaza but that I have already made.

The green outline is the corner buildings of Bermondsey Street and Tooley Street that are still there and I have already made.

The light blue is the office/shop block now demolished and replaced with a Hilton Hotel that I'm about to start making. It will be low relief hence the line going through the centre.

The purple outline is of buildings in Tooley street that I have little details of and have been demolished. I guess I will need to make them at some time.

All the buildings in the photo behind light blue structure have been demolished but will be behind the back-scene board line so won't need to be made as models. The chateaux style building to the right in Tooley street is still there and I will have to consider making that.

HTH.

G.

The components seem to be very similar to those used in Alexander Fleming House (as it used to be) down the road at the Elephant and Castle. https://www.flickr.c...tmmm/2230168915 . The latter has a less regular pattern, with projecting 'bays', but the overall look is much the same.

• Thanks x 1

#561 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 19:56

I've cut out the windows for just one wall section (from 0.5 plastic sheet) to see how it looks, but there's around another 80 windows to cut out . . . . hmmmmm . . . 

The sections will be braced by various beams and columns that will be glued in place to give that modular 60s build look;

DSC_4492.JPG

G.

• Like x 3

#562 brylonscamel

brylonscamel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationBristol, England

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:21

Here's the latest, which will do for this morning - as I've other tasks to undertake:

attachicon.gifDSC_4384.JPG

G.

I've just picked up on this thread again and love these updates on your church model - especially the way you've taken time to document the process. It's like some of my teachers used to say - you get extra marks for showing your working out!

• Funny x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#563 brylonscamel

brylonscamel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 13:26

POST CLEARED

Edited by brylonscamel, 18 January 2018 - 17:04 .

• Like x 3

#564 DaisyDots

DaisyDots

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNr.Pontypool. S.Wales.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 15:49

Hi brylonscamel,

Excellent modelling. I may be in the wrong here, and expect I'll soon be told.

This site/ blog was set up by grahame to show us all his building projects.

Perhaps you could set up something similer to show us your projects.

Please don't take this wrong, just constructively.

Another Caledonian - progress so far ...
I thought it was time I got going with another little project I really fancied - another Caledonian signal box.

I've fallen in love with these structures and wanted one for a micro layout to use as a setting when photographing stock and locos.

Here are some photos of progress-to-date.
The model is based on the one at Camperdown Junction, Dundee - this was a box that was extended at some point to accommodate a huge lever frame - with 95 levers.

I've taken dimensions from the original as inspiration and tried to be faithful to a style of box that can bee seen at other places like Stirling.

Drawings were based on brick counting and I've tried to show how I made the little brackets that support the projection of the operating floor.

#565 brylonscamel

brylonscamel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 17:02

Hi brylonscamel,

I had no idea!

#566 brylonscamel

brylonscamel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 17:03

Hi brylonscamel,

I might throw them up on the 'anything you can do ..." thread

• Friendly/Supportive x 1