Oxford Diecast vehicles

grahame

The delay had been touched on by Oxford last October, and Oxford explained last Sunday the tooling problem which had delayed about a dozen 1/148 items. Quote from the discussion in a topic on the Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook Group. This was posted by Lyndon Davies, MD of Oxford Diecast:-"On my last visit, I advised that we were having some difficulty on the tooling for some of the new N scale items. The problem being that as they are being tooled as a group – they all must be correct. The MGB looked wrong so that cavity has been recut and thankfully now we have 1st shots of the moulds for these items - MGB. New Mini, Ford Transit SWB, Mercedes Ambulance, CMP Truck and the Weymann Fanfare, D TEC Trailer and Container, Farm Trailers, Daimler Dingo and Cortina MKIII." The post was accompanied by the photos of the first shots on display at the Olympia Toyfair, which also included the unannounced Burlingham Seagull coach. The process of tooling all the items together seems to be part of the process Oxford uses to achieve the right cost level for the N market. I understand that one large mould is used, but with the possibility of selective use of parts of the mould so for example the Cortina can be rerun without everything else. I have said elsewhere that in my opinion the way to persuade Oxford of the financial justification for N cars is to make the Cortina Mk3 an instant sell-out, which might just encourage them to take on the onerous licensing process for some more marques and models in N.

Reflecting on the abortive DJModels crowdfunding initiative for sets of cars, this did not seem to excite much interest, even from Dave Jones himself who never even specified which actual cars he was proposing to make.

I don't recall reading that explanation. Was it posted here on RMweb? If not it would be a good idea for ODC to engage with a wider audience. It shouldn't take much to copy and paste press releases on other than Facebook.

Yes, of course there was little for people to get excited about DJMs poor attempt at promoting a crowndfunding project. It helps to know exactly what it is people are to supposed to be interested in and supporting.

I don't recall reading that explanation. Was it posted here on RMweb? If not it would be a good idea for ODC to engage with a wider audience. It shouldn't take much to copy and paste press releases on other than Facebook.

I have not seen the explanation quoted here previously and I certainly did not post an account of the Facebook session here, although somebody did post a link to the new items that were announced on the Facebook group on 30 September 2016. Anyone really interested can join the Facebook group and they do not expel lurkers. I was in Spain with a dodgy wifi link, but did publish a list of new items on the N gauge Forum.

It has been said on RMweb and the N gauge Forum that the Oxford MD always announces the new diecast items on the Facebook group, which is privately run and is not an Oxford Diecast site. The Customer Services Manager and the Diecast Product Manager are both members of the Facebook Group and accessible through it. The MD and the Product Development Manager, and everybody else are accessible through email. I suspect that Oxford Diecast does not see a great value in replicating say the Dapol Digest for their products. In a way I would rather they spent their time researching, conceiving, designing, manufacturing and delivering the 300+ new items they add to their diecast product range each year. There is a two year gestation period for new models so Oxford are working on 2019 now, and so have 600 or so items in the pipeline at any one time. I tend not to get excited about things being later than I hoped, so I do not expect to be posting any "exasperated Platform 10" complaints.

Just for the record the Ford Cortina in post #1 was announced on 23 January 2016 and but for the tooling issue described in my recent post would have been delivered around October 2016.

Later edit:- I am adding this edit as I think it is relevant to the web presence issue. About 5 hours ago on the Facebook Group a member raised two specific issues about the pre-production model of the Leyland Saro bus planned for introduction in the Summer of this year. These points have been picked up by two Oxford Managers who are members of the Group to ensure that they are not issues which have been missed in the snagging list sent to the factory. Looks like the venue works fine.

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 2

Kind

I suspect that Oxford Diecast does not see a great value in replicating say the Dapol Digest for their products. In a way I would rather they spent their time researching, conceiving, designing, manufacturing and delivering the 300+ new items they add to their diecast product range each year. 

I guess there is no need for an exclusive forum like Dapol Digest, but it certainly would not be time consuming for them to copy and paste what they have mentioned on Facebook on to other forums like RMweb. After all making the effort to communicate with all their potential customers using all channels, including to those who don't frequent or use Facebook, could be advantageous.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Georg Hamel of the German website Auto & Modell has posted some excellent photographs from Oxford Diecast's stand at the Nuremberg Toy Fair, which has just finished.

Here is a link to Georg's photos of 1/43 models, which include the first photos of the Austin 7 Ruby and the new Jaguar coupé

http://www.auto-und-modell.de/pages/aktuell/2021/Spielwarenmesse-2017-Oxford-Diecast-143/

and to his photos of 1/18 and 1/76 models, including first photos of the 1/76 Jaguar F Pace, and first shots of several 1/76 Range Rovers and Rolls Royces

http://www.auto-und-modell.de/pages/aktuell/2050/Spielwarenmesse-2017-Oxford-Diecast-118-176/

John Storey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that would be nice. Having looked through the 1:148 scale section of the catalogue it is quite clear how few bog standard saloon cars are included and even less from the 1970-2000 period. They've even dilly-dallied over getting the Cortina produced having announced it a while back.

It is very obvious that they are concentrating on commercials, buses, agricultural and military subjects. You can hardly populate a layout with a selection limited to those choices and, although one or two may be of use, having a selection of bog standard saloon/hatchback cars would get multiple sales as more would be required and could be accommodated on a layout (on wagons and roads) rather than a large number of military scout cars, hearses and fire engines.   

G.

As I may have suggested in another thread before, there is obviously a niche opportunity for some cash-upped entrepreneur to exploit here.

I'm surprised no-one has jumped in already :jester:

As I may have suggested in another thread before, there is obviously a niche opportunity for some cash-upped entrepreneur to exploit here.

I'm surprised no-one has jumped in already :jester:

And another niche for 4 mm and 148th scale drivers (and passengers) to fit in the Oxford vehicles.  Driverless vehicles may be coming in the future but didn't exist in pre-BR England.

Edited by autocoach

as opposed to sue them on an N gauge layout.

You'll need an N gauge legal profession for that!!!

I wonder how many people collect Oxford's 1:148 vehicles as opposed to sue them on an N gauge layout. While the less mainstream choices made for the larger scales probably meet the wants of collectors, is there the same market in N scale.

Seriously, I would agree with you.  I can't see the market characteristics being the same in all three scales.  If I was to collect cars and put them in a display case, I'd buy the 1:43 scale models.  I suspect that potentially the majority of 1:43 scale models end up on display with car enthusiasts rather than find a place on a model railway, with the split between collectors and model railway enthusiasts being say 60% / 40%.  In 1:76 scale, I'd expect that split to be reversed, with the majority of models being for model railways, but with some collecting in this scale due to space or financial constraints.  At 1:148, I'd expect 95% of models to end up on a model railway layout. That therefore means that what sells well in one scale wouldn't necessarily translate to another scale, in my opinion.

Edited by Dungrange
  • Like 1

Seriously, I would agree with you.  I can't see the market characteristics being the same in all three scales. . . .

. . . At 1:148, I'd expect 95% of models to end up on a model railway layout. That therefore means that what sells well in one scale wouldn't necessarily translate to another scale, in my opinion.

Yep, agreed. It's one of the points I made in post #4.

G.

As this thread seems to be peppered with people's wish lists for ODC vehicles and if ODC are going to persist in producing a limited range of mainly buses and quirky commercials in 1:148 scale then I'd like to see them do a decent LT Leyland Titan bus from the 1980s:

043433.jpg

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As this thread seems to be peppered with people's wish lists for ODC vehicles and if ODC are going to persist in producing a limited range of mainly buses and quirky commercials in 1:148 scale then I'd like to see them do a decent LT Leyland Titan bus from the 1980s:

043433.jpg

G.

Or perhaps the very similar Olympian, a greater range of possible liveries.

Or perhaps the very similar Olympian, a greater range of possible liveries.

The Olympians are quite similar but were later than the Titans and the Titan was quite unique with huge lower deck windows as tall as the windscreen and that small square off-set rear window.

G.

Georg Hamel of the German website Auto & Modell has posted some excellent photographs from Oxford Diecast's stand at the Nuremberg Toy Fair, which has just finished.

Here is a link to Georg's photos of 1/43 models, which include the first photos of the Austin 7 Ruby and the new Jaguar coupé

http://www.auto-und-modell.de/pages/aktuell/2021/Spielwarenmesse-2017-Oxford-Diecast-143/

and to his photos of 1/18 and 1/76 models, including first photos of the 1/76 Jaguar F Pace, and first shots of several 1/76 Range Rovers and Rolls Royces

http://www.auto-und-modell.de/pages/aktuell/2050/Spielwarenmesse-2017-Oxford-Diecast-118-176/

John Storey

Had been asking for an original Range Rover and for a Rover SD1 for some time, including Police versions, was delighted to see them both appear as civilians versions and them to see the proposed Police SD1.  Interestingly looking at the photos there is a Range Rover with lights on the roof.  Wonder if they are going to do a Police Range Rover next.

• Like 1

As this thread seems to be peppered with people's wish lists for ODC vehicles and if ODC are going to persist in producing a limited range of mainly buses and quirky commercials in 1:148 scale then I'd like to see them do a decent LT Leyland Titan bus from the 1980s.

G.

The 1/76 scale EFE tooling now owned by Bachmann was used for 40 different versions in the original London 2-door format and the later single door format. Plenty of evidence to sell the idea to Oxford Diecast for a 1/148 version. Ideally it would follow the more recent format of a printed clear plastic body as used for the Borismaster rather than the early chunky diecast bodies which make the flush glazing much more difficult.

Plenty of evidence to sell the idea to Oxford Diecast for a 1/148 version. Ideally it would follow the more recent format of a printed clear plastic body as used for the Borismaster rather than the early chunky diecast bodies which make the flush glazing much more difficult.

I agree that the plastic body buses are far superior than the cast metal ones ODC produced in 1:148 scale - the thickness from the outer surface to the glazing on the cast models makes the windows sills look like they could accommodate a complete garden window box. Flush glazing is essential for modern vehicles.

I was quite surprised that they produced a Boris bus in N: very modern, when they seem to prefer pre-1965 subjects, that gives a very short period of use and very limited geographically. But then they do like the quirky along with buses, military and commercials. Perhaps they'd consider a Leyland Titan.

G

Edited by grahame

• 1 month later...

They have not yet produced or announced any other Sherpa van.

There are two announced vans besides the released Royal Mail Wales van, and released BR Minibus. Pickfords and Met Police vans both have roof beacons. I do not recall a non-Welsh RM van being announced, though it will surely come.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/search?q=sherpa*

Edited by mikeharvey22

• 3 weeks later...