Darstaed Mk1 coaches for 7mm.

RandyWales

Hi...

For those who aren't members, there is an advertisement in the current Gauge O Guild Gazette for a joint venture between Ellis Clark Trains and Scalelink for a new range (available Q2/Q3 2017) of Darstaed BR Mk1 coaches....

They look very reasonable in the small photos, but I've not seen any Darstaed products first hand.

Advertised as Finescale, Brass-built with a plastic roof.

They will have interiors and lighting, sprung metal bogies and sprung buffers.

Five liveries will be available....BR Blue, BR Crimson & Cream, BR Chocolate & Cream, BR Southern Green and BR Maroon.

Set One: 2 x brake 2nd, 1 x all 2nd, 1x composite.

Set Two: 1 x Kitchen car, 1x Restaurant car, 1x all 1st, 1 x Full brake

Price per set of four is £750

Individual coaches will be made available later at £189 each

They are taking pre-orders now...

Personally, I hope they are decent enough to teach a certain other producer of r-t-r Mk1 coaches that they need to up their game and not keep trying to foist sub-standard offerings onto O gauge modellers at such ridiculous prices.

Also, there are a couple of finescale Bogie Tankers and Well Wagons to be released in 2017.

I haven't found anything else mentioned on either website.

Randall

Edited by RandyWales

• RMweb Premium

Will they be scale length? They look ok in the ad pictures, but Darstaed core market is tinplate with sharp curves, so wait hopefully & see...

Dava

• RMweb Gold

I picked up/saw a leaflet for these at Bristol I believe. From the picture they looked good, but to me had that tinplate look about them - but I stress that's only my opinion from a photocopied picture, and I'd want to see a proper photo/a real model before committing either way. My initial reaction was nice, but prefer the HJ ones. Not that I'm any expert!!

Interesting development tho, and I hope they get them right and it works for them.

Rich

• Like 1

When I googled Darstaedt, I found a thread in an 0 gauge forum.  There are pictures that looked quite attractive.  However, the statement from the company said that they weren't intending to do Finescale.  The wheels looked to be "chunky" to my eye.

http://www.classicogauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1413&start=20

I think if the length and other critical dimensions are correct, conversion to finescale might be something to consider.  However, once the various parts are bought in, the price might rise above that of Heljan.

John

Guest Q663368

The advert in the GOG Gazette states "Finescale" . It will be interesting to see what they produce.

I too checked both websites but nothing yet. The corridor connections don't look right but I look forward to seeing a production sample.

Guest Q663368

When I googled Darstaedt, I found a thread in an 0 gauge forum.  There are pictures that looked quite attractive.  However, the statement from the company said that they weren't intending to do Finescale.  The wheels looked to be "chunky" to my eye.

http://www.classicogauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1413&start=20

I think if the length and other critical dimensions are correct, conversion to finescale might be something to consider.  However, once the various parts are bought in, the price might rise above that of Heljan.

John

John,

Thanks for the link. I guess I will be passing on these.

Alan

Darstaedt have confirmed that they are "doing standard scale with finescale wheels" on the G0G forum

I haven't seen the coaches but there were discussions on the forum about the well wagon that led to a revision of tooling, to provide the correct bogies, so if your era fits the coaches, my suggestion would be to have a look before writing them off. From the tone of the messages, I'd be optimistic that they'll be pretty good.

Given that coaches are almost as hard to build & paint as a loco is, and you need far more of them, I'd suggest that this is pretty good news. For once, it isn't the GWR that gets all the goodies, the Hattons coaches are LNER, and the MTH ones were LMS.

I expect to purchase a well wagon, and maybe a tanker, as I can potentially justify them - the coaches are 20-odd years too late for me.

Usual disclaimer

post-20369-0-55016100-1486285438_thumb.pngq

Picture from Darstaedt via the G0G website - I believe other liveries of this wagon will have diamond bogies.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

According to the G0G forum, the Darstaedt Mk1 coaches will be 35cm long, to match their diesel locos.

A scale 64'6" Mk1 1 in 7mm scale would be 45cm long, 35cm equates to 50' so they will look short, a bit like the old Hornby Dublo Mk1s in 00. This is rather as expected. Scale length would be a bit long for the sharp curves the tinplate fraternity tend to use.

Dava

According to the G0G forum, the Darstaedt Mk1 coaches will be 35cm long, to match their diesel locos.

A scale 64'6" Mk1 1 in 7mm scale would be 45cm long, 35cm equates to 50' so they will look short, a bit like the old Hornby Dublo Mk1s in 00. This is rather as expected. Scale length would be a bit long for the sharp curves the tinplate fraternity tend to use.

Dava

A shame that.  I could never fathom why someone would go to the trouble of making a model deliberately wrong.  As someone said on the thread I linked to, you can get a decent coach rake in a reduced length.  Each to his own I guess.

John

Dava

I missed that - if it does turn out to be the case, it will have been a massive opportunity lost, and, I suggest, a significant market lost too.

Edit:

Just went back to the G0G forum, and there is a note quoting the Darstaed newsletter saying that the coaches will be full, scale length. There appears to be another announcement of 35cm versions. Looks like "both", but perhaps a clarification will follow.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have any more info on these coaches?

I see on the Guild's 2017 Telford Show Guide (on the Guild's site) there are adverts for them but not really any new pictures

You can seemingly buy them in packs or individually

Most Mk1 designs seem to be catered for.

The photos look nice but it is hard to see any detail?

It seems like Sept/October is the release date according to the show guide

They seem to be priced cheaper than Heljan's and hopefully they have got the side/tumblehome correct.

I am a bit surprised there is so little news with an imminent realease???

Anyone???

Edited by deltic17

Best to check out on the Scalelink stand at Guildex.

Dava

I'd have thought that stands 12 Ellis Clark Trains and stand 39 Scale Link would be the stands to check out.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Gold

If I get a chance to pop in to ScaleLink this week, I will ask.

My guess would be that Ellis Clark would  look after the coarse scale customers and ScaleLink the fine ( r ) scale. ScaleLink supplies the MTH coaches with replacement wheels.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

After asking the question a few days ago I see there is a photo in the modelling section of the new/latest Rail Express magazine which has just come out. Difficult to tell re the tumblehome - hopefully Telford will provide the answers. If they've got them right they will be big sellers......

On the same Rail Express page I see Electrifying trains are also bringing out their own version of the Mk1 for a somewhat higher price.

Statement copied from Guild forum: Gentlemen,

The change of omitting the window frames on the B+C livery has caused a delay in production of the etched coach sides. Our production slot has been to a later date by the etchers as of course new screens had to be made for all 20+ sides and that takes time. All sides for all liveries are done in one time so the delay in one livery means a delay for all. China is slowly but surely taking the environment into account and "dirty" business like etching is now only done by certified factories and not anymore in a bathtub in the backyard. Therefore we depend with many others on reliable subcontracting regarding the etching as we do not do the etching ourselves. So we are always in the queue.
The etching is done now and production is in full swing but will not be in time for Telford unfortunately, the first delivery is expected by the end of the month September, this will be for Sets A B+C, Choc/Cream and Green. A month later the Sets A Blue/Grey, Maroon and IC, then afterwards every month a new batch.
We hope to have production samples on view at Telford.

Thanks Mike. Very interesting.

Fingers crossed they do have something to look at otherwise the next show that they may attend is the Reading O Gauge Traders show at the beginning of December.

Certainly not committing any cash until I have seen them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was impressed with what I saw and I will be placing an order for two to complete my Midlander rake in Crimson/Red.  I would certainly say that, not being a rivet counter myself, that they will look the part together with 6 Sidelines ex-LMS coaches, as a train behind a Jubilee.