The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Stunning photos and railway!

I tried to contact Timpdon for RC advice and never heard back.....I shall be interested to see your progress.

For starters could you outline what Timpdon kit you will be using, ie TX, RX and/or speed controller? Also what size and type of batteries (will you be running one or two power bogies?), what sort of run times do you expect?

ATVB, with many thanks,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Stunning photos and railway!

I tried to contact Timpdon for RC advice and never heard back.....I shall be interested to see your progress.

For starters could you outline what Timpdon kit you will be using, ie TX, RX and/or speed controller? Also what size and type of batteries (will you be running one or two power bogies?), what sort of run times do you expect?

ATVB, with many thanks,

CME

Thanks CME. I will do that one day but as always it's easier said than done ;)  The Timpdon hand held units i have are the UTX 3's. No more snow as was predicted today so i've been test running the 'Foreigner' as i've finally just wired it up and fitted a 'Swift Sixteen' brass chassis that i bought several months ago :O There's now a bit of detailing and painting to do on it but it performed well, and finally that's all that matters as this loco' has given me nothing but running troubles for years.  :)   

post-31611-0-72734000-1512905928_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-77555600-1512905963_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-57422300-1512905992_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-23199300-1512906020_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-69020200-1512906061_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-46279300-1512906090_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50287800-1512906115_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-16782800-1512906245_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I'm glad it didn't snow today as I had to pick the Mrs up from Manchester Airport at 7-00am. Was dreading the journey but no snow and little traffic meant it was a quick run. 

There having it bad in the Midlands though, and were getting a few flurrys here now.

Your'e a brave man Bob, out running trains in this weather - I won't even go in the shed !!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

No snow here, just lots and lots and lots and lots of its melted equivalent, plus lots and lots and lots of wind. The footings I had dug for the next sections of concrete track bed are now under an inch or two of water. Perhaps I need to re-think my drainage....

Your railway looks so enchanting, believable and breathtaking in any weather Bob!

I love to make the most of it lads whilst its still here, so i had another few hours this morn' but the frost last night was bitter and it's still minus summat this morn' so another hour in it was enough for this big tart! :jester: I'm sure they'll more of the White stuff to come yet! (he hopes and says acting like a big Kid.)  :no:  

post-31611-0-93415800-1512991519_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54238800-1512991555_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-45085500-1512991626_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-00622300-1512991650_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-28683800-1512991677_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-66174700-1512992120_thumb.jpg

...don't eat the Yellow Snow.... :mosking:

post-31611-0-16056200-1512991724_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Santa's a wee bit early? Still, good to see he is thinking ahead.

Why should i be any different to the British TV and radio station ads' Mike :jester:  which as usual have been shown, heard and rammed down our throats since mid Oct' :crazy: and i'm doing my predicting now for more Snow before xmas day around here. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the snow has'nt come back around here yet, so i've not been out to play trains again this last week :no: but i found these few  pics' from a loco' build i finally finished and got posted off to its new owner this Summer, here it was being trial run on my own 0-4-0 chassis borrowed from the Irish Diesel, this was the last of three i was asked to build, the second one i ended up keeping for myself when the sale fell through  :mosking:

post-31611-0-00936900-1514631232_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-09503300-1514631260_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-19908900-1514631282_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-09709700-1514631309_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to work out why your industrial diesels just look like the real thing. Obviously the nice modelling and detail plus great paint job but what is it that usually tells me it's a model straight off? I think it's capturing the slight bows, wobbles and lived in look of the metalwork, I just have to take two sometimes :)

Sublimely atmospheric. :)

I've been trying to work out why your industrial diesels just look like the real thing. Obviously the nice modelling and detail plus great paint job but what is it that usually tells me it's a model straight off? I think it's capturing the slight bows, wobbles and lived in look of the metalwork, I just have to take two sometimes :)

Sublimely atmospheric. :)

Indeed, lovely work!

Words of wisdom to the wise....adding ripples and/or dings in the smaller scales doesnt translate well at all. 16mm, it does.

Happy New Year all!

Warm wishes,

CME

You surprised me bob ,I just presumed with the metal work on the steam locos that the diesel was metal too . Is it all plastic? or have you added any metal bits? You could have done a blow by blow construction thread , great model phil

When i finally get all my old pics' retrieved from that feckin' photo bucket site Phil' i will post them build pics' up here, i'd always thought working in brass sheet and solderin' was beyond me and my limited skills until i did the cab and saddle tank for the Katy chassis, and it was easier than i had always feared  :O Not that i'm thinking of doing it all again mind!  :no: My mate who's at a loose end and having taken early retirement is thinking of buying a 3D scanner thingy and wants to try scanning/copying my locos & stuff, it's ok for beer, fag & petrol money i reckon' and we don't think he'll ever make a fortune or get all his dosh back by just using my stuff  :jester: but it might be fun & worth a try though.  :mail:  :locomotive:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

When i finally get all my old pics' retrieved from that feckin' photo bucket site Phil' i will post them build pics' up here, i'd always thought working in brass sheet and solderin' was beyond me and my limited skills until i did the cab and saddle tank for the Katy chassis, and it was easier than i had always feared  :O Not that i'm thinking of doing it all again mind!  :no: My mate who's at a loose end and having taken early retirement is thinking of buying a 3D scanner thingy and wants to try scanning/copying my locos & stuff, it's ok for beer, fag & petrol money i reckon' and we don't think he'll ever make a fortune or get all his dosh back by just using my stuff  :jester: but it might be fun & worth a try though.  :mail:  :locomotive:

Get him to do radiators and the little detail bits as a favour .You would be amazed at what could be produced and the quality .and its cheaper than castings .A mini lathe also helps for the odd bearing or radiator cap too phil

I think this railway is top of my list of 'layouts I'd like to see featured in the model railway press'.  That may not, of course, be of any interest to you, but, assuming that the entire modelling world isn't already on this site, it would share the joy of your creation more widely as well as providing a more tangible record of your achievement.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you, Owd Bob, and to the McMullen Coal Company Light Railway and all its followers.

Many thanks for the kind words & compliments Edwardian, all the best to you and all the other members and visitors for the coming year.  :) It just happens that i've been asked to do a write up and provide a few pics' for a certain mag' Edwardian  :locomotive: and soon i hope! Hopefully this year things will settle down and real life things will fare better for us. I have no plans to destroy the line any further as it's been trimmed down just enough for me to handle and look after from now on, as always at this time of the year i've had a good inspection of the line and i'm starting to plan the jobs and repairs, i have noticed that some ballast has lifted with the frost and ice, and will need some sorting out, i've a station and its buildings still to transfer to a better site of access, and a few bags of decent soil needs chucking down in the beds and tubs around the line-side . :whistle: I've plenty of loco', wagon and coach mending & detailing to sort out and even in the Winter the plants still grow and will need cutting back before they get out of hand before the very hot Summer to come :mosking: . :sungum:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3