The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

It's not quite the Snowy conditions i like to play out in but the line was White enough being covered with a nice thick layer of frost today! I'd nowt better to do so as daft as a brush out i went well wrapped up, i tried to run the battery powered steamers, i say tried as the wheels slipped on the frosty frozen tracks, but i did get to manage a full circuit eventually!  T'was funny though watching the loco's move just a few inches in every ten minutes. :mosking: The saddle tank has now gained the 'Bess' nameplates as the 'Jack' loco' they were fixed to has now had to be moved on to pastures new. :( Ah! well! what a shame! never mind...onwards and upwards ;) .

post-31611-0-37139500-1515338421_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-85042700-1515338470_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-21532700-1515338536_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-06733000-1515338590_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70829600-1515338619_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-39375200-1515338667_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84879700-1515338745_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-93908900-1515338833_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-01863000-1515338886_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-49420100-1515338949_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-02048300-1515338989_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-88463500-1515339022_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-82757400-1515338500_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

you could have run a steamer if you had used a mixed gas butane /propane mix 70%/30% .I tend to run this gas from sept - may then summer months butane. The only loco I run the mix gas all year round is the darj Garrett phil

you could have run a steamer if you had used a mixed gas butane /propane mix 70%/30% .I tend to run this gas from sept - may then summer months butane. The only loco I run the mix gas all year round is the darj Garrett phil

I did my back in big style phil' yesterday so i could'nt really handle the weight of fettling with a steamer yesterday. :shout:

• 2 weeks later...

Not steam or garden rail scale but my xmas present to myself a Dapol 08 shunters repaint from Green(cos' it was cheaper than a Blue one) to late 1970's Blue and a SP Wigan depot renumbering & un-finished weathering, is posed on the garden line, 'cos there's nowt like real daylight to show up all the weathering wrong doings!  :jester: I must cheat and invest in a air brush soon. :no:

post-31611-0-86766700-1516360856_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-61858800-1516360889_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-75654700-1516360920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 10

Not sure yet Mike on the shunter as space may be a bit tight inside for batts' etc  :yes:  i might have to have a van coupled up with it? All are still projects i'm looking forward to for this year at the mo' but i'm getting there slowly. Thanks Paul i'm a ###### for doing things on the cheap so hand weathering with Humbrol tins has always been my own way of doing stuff, i always considered that buying an air brush or even ready made or RTR stuff cheating but i can now see from the other side of things :jester: Think i'll start saving now for a 'Helly' '0' gauge class 47!....coz i must have at least two years left in me yet  :mosking: The cab doors always seem to have been left open at Springs Branch back in the late' 70's-'80's whatever the class was...hence this cheeky view of 25 141 from 08 376!  :mosking:

post-31611-0-48564000-1516371419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 6

IIRC, I have seen that Steve Leyland has put his own RC system in a Bachmann 08 and his Brass Jinty?

I think others are trying, with Deltang kit, to fit RC into Fowler and Terrier, but that was a year ago, heard/read no more about it.

It all boils down to battery sizes, safety and reliability....

ATVB

CME

All true, but battery size should no longer be a problem in 0 gauge, given the new LiPo cells on the market. ProtoCab are now using these for their system. Not cheap though!

All true, but battery size should no longer be a problem in 0 gauge, given the new LiPo cells on the market. ProtoCab are now using these for their system. Not cheap though!

AVOID 'cheap' with LiPo or LiIon!

From my POV decent connections and wiring are required for safety, avoiding short-circuits and thus explosions/fire-and according to the experts such should be charged outwith of the model in a metal enclosure-a chore on a highly detailed model.

Also space inside of a loco for the battery? It's all relative.....7mm shunters and small locos as the Fowler or Terrier are still a challenge.

ATB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report other than we seemed to have had every low pressure weather system passing over this area since last Oct' and it's been a very wet Winter so far, i would'nt mind much if we had some decent Snow so i could go play trains in it :mosking: but most of the Snow we have had has'nt lasted a day.....Ah! Well! Never mind! I'm sure there's more to come yet. I've made a crude cab for the Salamander loco' now that it's tunnel working days are over, the next job is to get it running again but a new chassis will have to be found as the original was cannibalized for the WW1 loco's re- motorization  :shout:  :laugh:  I noticed some major subsidence on the line yesterday as well which was'nt there a week ago, and it's all along the rear fence-line, note how the Chapel is leaning over in these pics' and it's not the cameras fault, even the gardens perimeter fence and it's concrete posts are leaning over at least two inches from vertical :O  It's affecting a good ten foot length of the track! All this rain is'nt helping.....so it looks like a lot of concrete mixing and track lifting & re- laying is on the cards for Springtime.....it's something to plan and look forward to though!  :derisive: Thats' if the whole hillside do'snt finally give way, and slides away down the hill before then! :jester:

post-31611-0-69014900-1518602932_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-35348000-1518602975_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It's just started snowing right now in Wigan Owd Bob - might be blowing across to sunny Leigh !!!

Nice loco above, looks like an industrial loco should. I remember the 0-6-0 steam loco "Lyon" and other tatty beasts working at Ince Moss colliery in the early 60's - just across from Springs Branch. Also the locos on the NCB lines at Whitley Crossing that went to Giants Hall and Standish Lower Ground, that system had a couple of diesels a bit like yours - unfortunately all this was disappearing fast when I was a lad - happy days though !!

Brit15

• Like 1

The Snow has just started here Apollo :jester: It took 15 mins' to travel the 8 miles or so :mosking: Its a bit small & powdery yet though, I remember as a kid messing about in what looked like Greenhouses? on the old Ince Moss pit site and i remember the concrete loading tower remains still stood. :)

• Like 1

No way i'm going to do owt in this weather phil' i just hope we have a few days of Sunshine this Spring but i won't hold my breath. Just been out and stuck a measuring stick in vertical using the spirit level and as you can see by looking at the paving flag i laid up against the concrete fence post only at the end of last Summer that the fence & post on the right of this pic' now has a two inch gap  ...and you can see how much the fence has leaned over in the last few weeks alone. :O The trackbed from the set of points seen behind the measuring stick for a length of about 7 feet is badly sunken and is also leaning over roughly half way along the whole back run. 

post-31611-0-01030400-1518610118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob

I doubt if anyone could have laid deeper and stronger foundations than i already did phil' ...Twice! They must go down a metre at least, and all built of solid concrete blocks and stone cobbles and all properly mortared in etc, it looks like i'm just too close to the side of this 40ft. high hill i live on the edge of, and i'll always have probs'....i'd no choice 12 years ago when i started building it all as SWMBO only gave me permission to have a garden line if i made it right up against the the far end of the back yard and up in the corner well away from 'er precious plants and chickens etc. I'm seriously wondering if i'd be wasting my time trying to repair it where it is, the only sensible way is to move it....but SWMBO won't like that at all :jester: Whilst some folks Wifes and partners like or tolerate the railway stuff, mine do'snt like or take any interest in any of it one bit :nono: Not in any scale or even the real thing, she do's help me out with the heavy stuff but thats has far as it go's, and you would'nt believe the amount of earache i get and go through when and in trying (not) to tell her how much things costs in this hobby :no:  ...and just don't mention the price of live steamers to her.  :O  :jester:  :help:  :triniti:  :hunter:  :crazy:

Well a dry couple of hours today and quite mild temps for once, i got out and cleared all the Alpine plants and the soil out from all along the back of the sunken trackbed, the last time it sank i had to cap the original track beds foundation blocks off with two inch deep by six inches wide concrete edging slabs. It looks to have sunk about another inch and half right in the middle of the length, and it is'nt level from side to side and across the rails anymore. In the Spring and with better weather to come i'll lift all the track from the Chapel all the way along the back run right up to the signal box, and then i'll get the concrete edgings chiseled off and relay them on more thicker bed of mortar and or use some thin patio flags to build/pack it back up again!  

post-31611-0-17455700-1519055300_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-60915700-1519055329_thumb.jpg

Some random pics' taken whilst having a breather, as usual the Dog won't leave me in peace. :mosking:

post-31611-0-66178400-1519055415_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-12550500-1519055480_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-64042900-1519055509_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good luck with stabilising the permanent way.

Looking at your grey diesel locomotive above, I reflected (and I do hope you won't take this the wrong way!) how disgusting some of you equipment looks!

I love both the character and the level of realism your models achieve.

Good luck with stabilising the permanent way.

Looking at your grey diesel locomotive above, I reflected (and I do hope you won't take this the wrong way!) how disgusting some of you equipment looks!

I love both the character and the level of realism your models achieve.

No offense at all Edwardian! It's a real compliment to me, as that's the desired effect i strive for.  :)

Bob, float your track on a bed of reeds like Stephenson did at nearby Chat Moss. The Liverpool Manchester line, recently electrified still floats over the moss today. Perhaps a too heavy / solid foundation on top of a slope isn't the answer.  A viaduct perhaps ?

Whatever - best wishes.

Brit15

• Like 1

Its hard to make out O.R. but this is the view over the fence down into the abyss  :jester:

post-31611-0-89374500-1519120152_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-34964400-1519120189_thumb.jpg

You have something there Apollo! All that weight hangin' on the edge, it can't be helping things, i'll have another think about it before i do owt else!  :scratchhead: Years ago i did a dig on a Roman road in the Eccles area, this was across a what was obviously way back then a very boggy/swampy area and we found perfectly preserved twigs and branches at the very base of the road that the road stone, gravels and cobbles were laid directly onto....God! i loved that Hobby and miss it all now!  :cry:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2