The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

T'was Bedford basin Apollo :derisive:  Tunnel went down under the towns main railway station and to a coal drop on the canal. For a pie-eater tha knows a few things abawt Leyth! :D  I don't know about being fitter more like thicker for goin' owt in it! :crazy: All this has now gone on my railway  :cry: It all went when i got owd-er and ill-er and we had to raise it all up off the ground for better access etc, you could'nt beat the proper ground level line for plenty of healthy plants and especially for having some nice Green Grass around it, it's a bit harder trying to get the same effect two foot up in the air now  :derisive: but i try my best with planters on stilts...it could still do with some grass though :)

Google-translate seems to be overwhelmed by these posts, so I am none the wiser.

However, I am having the same problems with my Katie on a slipping servo, so your solution looks like a god-send. Thanks!

Your old canal basin and corresponding explanation needs resurrection, which I am perfectly willing and able to do, in theory.......

The rain goddess stopped for a few hours today, so I managed to exert the wasting muscles on a pick-axe and shovel for some five hours. All I had to show for it was another two yards by one yard of cleared road bed (cleared of very large rocks, hard-dried concrete and mortar bags from previous work and the roots of a very old tree), ready for concrete and blocks. At this rate, I may have something to run on by next year. I really admire the speed at which you get things done, despite everything, which keeps me going. At least the canal basin rubber trough is roughly in position, but leaning at an alarming angle right now.... shouldn't have used old wood fire ashes instead of sand as the base. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the pictures. Imaginative and well modelled.

My experience of 16mm groups is somewhat different. Sure the great majority these days just buy locos and don't think of building one themself but generally I find they admire those who can. When I was living on the Isle of Wight the Garden railway group was part 16 mill part G scale but we all seemed to get along. I suppose there may be some concerns over clearances if runing 7/8ths stuff on tracks made for 16mm particularly bridge clearances but 7/8ths is growing in popularity. 

Don

I've thought about 7/8ths a few times over the years Don'  I don't think it would take much to change say a standard 16mm Roundhouse loco' or Accucraft loco' by putting a bigger cab or a spectacle plate and a taller chimney on it. I might try to build a 7/8ths body for my Katie chassis one day and swap it over and see how it looks. It's the idea of having to make the bigger scale buildings, wagons and coaches which puts me off a bit though....it'll be like starting all over again and i don't think i have the mental energy to go the full monty.....just yet! :jester:  I'll take this chance to get rid of some more old pics'

Raising the line two years ago. The canal basin was left until the very last before being filled and buried,

post-31611-0-79877100-1522839543_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-81672200-1522839566_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-16623200-1522839592_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Really enjoyed the pictures. Imaginative and well modelled.

My experience of 16mm groups is somewhat different. Sure the great majority these days just buy locos and don't think of building one themself but generally I find they admire those who can. When I was living on the Isle of Wight the Garden railway group was part 16 mill part G scale but we all seemed to get along. I suppose there may be some concerns over clearances if runing 7/8ths stuff on tracks made for 16mm particularly bridge clearances but 7/8ths is growing in popularity. 

Don

I think generally people these days, regardless of scale buy ready to run stuff for all sorts of reasons rather than build. Its getting harder to buy kits or small parts to detail thing as the manufacturers make better and better models which in turn forces the supporting trade out of business.

Ian

• Like 1

I think generally people these days, regardless of scale buy ready to run stuff for all sorts of reasons rather than build. Its getting harder to buy kits or small parts to detail thing as the manufacturers make better and better models which in turn forces the supporting trade out of business.

Ian

I'll try and make anything out of any useful bits i can find & re-cycle Ian, but these days those 3-D printers are getting cheaper and all the other model making technologies etc. are getting to be available cheaply to the masses. Personally if i have to buy something and i know it can't be helped, but i always think i'm cheating and not modeling at all.  :dontknow: So when somebody points to something and asks if i've made it?.... and i've not! Then i always pull my face and scowl and say in a grumpy manner...."No! i had ter Piggin' buy it" :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I liked about 16mm was the fact that you could knock up wagons and coaches out of a few bits of materials and be happy with them but it is difficult to match the standard of the laser cut kits. The high standard of bought in locos does seem to demand higher standard stock. If you have say a Katie it is not a specific prototype and you can be happy running it with anything. However with say the Accucraft Countess I have a nagging feeling I out to get some Pickering coaches for it to pull. Plus the W&L wagons. Not what I wanted. Still the Preserved lines have these gala days there is something with a chime whistle on the West Somerset at the moment probably pulling Chocolate and cream coaches. So I shall assume my garden line will have Gala days when visiting locos can run with the lines own stock.

Don  

• Like 1

5307722848_0a888361a0_z.jpgDSCF0862 by phil, on Flickr
5311657633_0e5d47256f_z.jpgDSCF0863 by phil, on Flickr
There are still a lot of us 16milers scratch building rolling stock. In my own case I buy the odd kit to construct or the odd model I like too + scratch build .To me its a time issue ,I cant do everything myself and time imho is very expensive .The thing about 16mm is that there are a lot of different skill levels amongst us and there in my experience is always encouragement in whatever you do or in some cases buy to run ,we are not all mechanical engineers. I always encourage people in this gauge cos its a lot of hard work building these garden empires from scratch .Ask the wife she's tired out. :jester:  phil

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 2

Ian

Is that true in 16mm Ian? I believe there are more suppliers of aids to scratchbuilders now that at any time in the last 20 years I have been modelling in this scale. It is very true that there are also more RTR models and complete kits available, but most of those firms also supply the basics from which we can mostly scratchbuild, when we choose.

I certainly believe what you are saying is true of 00, and that trend is now beginning in 0.

I have enjoyed looking through the recently uploaded pictures. The layout is a masterpiece and I hope you get the repair work completed soon so that you (and us) can continue to enjoy this fine garden railway.

Is that true in 16mm Ian? I believe there are more suppliers of aids to scratchbuilders now that at any time in the last 20 years I have been modelling in this scale. It is very true that there are also more RTR models and complete kits available, but most of those firms also supply the basics from which we can mostly scratchbuild, when we choose.

I certainly believe what you are saying is true of 00, and that trend is now beginning in 0.

Mike,

I was making (not very well) a general comment and not aimed at any particular scale or gauge. Yes you are correct that it certainly applies to OO, but not necessarily to 16mm.

Ian

Edited by 44690
  • Like 1

We made a big effort this last two days in the fine weather and i've got the blocks re-laid and the track bed level again, swmbo went for some more soil and we topped up the beds. I like the idea having some real Grass back, even if it's a small patch, so the bank up near the viaduct was cleared of all rocks and its plants and a sloping bank was formed using two  bags of soil, a roadway was put in to the new station site coming from under the arches using the left over concrete. But more is needed. :derisive:

post-31611-0-64425900-1523003950_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-61727900-1523003980_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-76556800-1523004024_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-71523500-1523004065_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-53610400-1523004095_thumb.jpg

This hobby will be the death of me. :jester:

post-31611-0-46928700-1523004132_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It's got some Mole DNA in it somewhere Mike! Judging by all the holes it keeps friggin' digging around the yard, i was going to carry on outside today but as you can see from the last photo i'm a bit tired today and it's gone cold again!  So i'm getting back to catching up with my much warmer indoor '0' Gauge fettling later on....not even started my 009 daft NG project yet either! A afternoon trip to Hobbycraft at Winwick, Warrington is on the cards...swmbo will probably want to call in at IKEA   :threaten: There's always a price to pay if you ask them to drive for you. :mosking: Some more old stuff.

post-31611-0-84040100-1523011155_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-21652000-1523011181_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-61143200-1523011200_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84147500-1523011230_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-06663700-1523011274_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

We managed to get the track re-laid over the weekend after having started late on Friday afternoon. Just hoping for some more dry days soon so we can ballast it all back up. I put all my stone walling and fencing all along the back stretch and then backfilled up to it with a bit of the new soil, and then planted it up with some divided up Alpines from elsewhere around the garden line.  

post-31611-0-89545200-1523201191_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-63551200-1523201268_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-18246400-1523201373_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-48520600-1523201402_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I don't think it will ever solve the land slipping probs' phil' I remember playing as a kid on this very same spot when it was all fields and when they built this estate the sod, top soil and whatever else was on the surface was just bulldozed over the edge of this hillside, so the first several foot of it which is now in my garden is more than probably made up from the not very firm bulldozed stuff, also there is said to be a 18th century mine shaft in the garden somewhere. I've taken a lot of weight off the problem edge, and i can only wait and see just how long it will last again.  :dontknow:  Any progress or news on your line phil' ?

Hi Bob   Not much progress ,Health issues etc . Been busy with other projects which are taking 10 times longer than id hoped One of them has got to be done mostly for Leigh exhibition[ N gauge wiring ]Just finished another   job . Now I want to start an 00gauge project  for myself  while im  struggling, Then after my op hopefully get out there and do some more .Im having an open day this year ,havn't decided when though. Ill let you know  phil