Focalplane

There’s no doubt the large Prairies were big, powerful beasties. Mine will, along with the mogul, have a Premier Components helical box & Canon motor as fitted to the Duchess, which will surely do the needful (though there’s room for a Crailcrest in the Prairie!)

As neither will be lined, I’m happy to spray them myself, and therefore not too worried about applying the grot on top!

I’ve a (Scorpio) Castle & a (JLTRT) King, both of which were painted & lined by Warren Haywood, I’ve not finished detailing yet and any weathering will be “below the waterline” if & when I feel brave enough!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Well, forget the RTR for a moment, I found some needle files so decided to make a start on the Dukedog's tender chassis:

post-20733-0-96805200-1536525953_thumb.jpg

Next job is to see if I have any solder.  If not, it will have to be separating and preparing the chassis parts for the engine next.

Edit to add:  The centre axle will be hornblocked and sprung.  The simpler choice is to remove some of the frame material above the axle hole so that it can float.  Since hornblocks come in sets of three and the Dukedof is a 4-4-0, then the third hornblock set doesn't have to be wasted.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 1

Update on fitting DCC to the Heljan Large Prairie.  John Gymer at Youchoos tells me a Zimo decoder can be fitted but it needs an adapter board that is currently back-ordered.  The motor requires a decoder that can drive 1.8 amps - typical Heljan - so only the large scale decoders can be used.  The Zimo decoder is smaller and allows fitting of a better speaker and a stay alive.

I have put my 61XX on Youchoos' waiting list.  However, I may not use the 61XX sound file, but one of John's other "Swindon" sounds.

Paul

So, Larry Goddard (coachmann) has been banned from RMWeb for "abusing and swearing at " another member.  His Carrog/Ruabon thread has been frozen, but, thank goodness, not deleted by the Administrators.

I have had a number of dealings with Larry and I consider him to be a gentleman who respects people like him and not the oh-so-many time wasters on RMWeb.  We happen to share common interests in railway modelling but more importantly, Larry is an expert in his field, builds beautiful coaches and tells it like it is when he feels it necessary.

My instant reaction was to follow suit and get banned, but I don't see that as serving a positive process.  I shall miss Larry on RMWeb.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 2

It’s a huge current draw, I’m really surprised. Might be worth doing a test yourself to see whether it’s realistic or not.

Might also be worth studying the decoder specs, as I believe most of the current (sorry) crop are well protected, and will simply shut down if overloaded. If the stall current really is 1.8A but you fit a smaller capacity decoder, say 1.2A, and it never shuts down because you don’t pull 12 coach trains, you’ve saved fifty quid or so. And the standard decoder install is easier!

Best

Simon

I have a Large Prairie with a 2-6-2T wheel arrangement.  Two replacements for the missing screw arrived this morning from Tower Models.  Thank you, team Heljan, for getting them to me before I depart.

A quick photo, with the ponies attached but no other details at this time:

post-20733-0-62810900-1536924634_thumb.jpg

They can wait until after the loco is tested on DC, then run in, then taken apart for DCC sound installation (which may not be immediate as research is still ongoing as to the best options out there).  The Severn number plates, etc. need to be trimmed and painted.  I will probably do those in a batch with others that are also waiting to be finished.  And, real coal will replace the plastic moulding.  So 4175 won't be seen any time soon running on Penmaenpool.

The pulling power has been demonstrated but I can't find the link.  Out of the box the loco pulled 60 wagons with some slipping to get started.  That's far more weight than I will ever have.

Paul

• Like 5

I am doing something not usually recommended when building etch kits.  As I have limited tools with me, I cannot build the Dukedog but I can separate all the parts and fittings and fettle them ready for building.

The problem with this approach is that the individual pieces can get lost or mis-labelled.  So I have acquired packs of small sized clear plastic bags, each one labelled:

post-20733-0-02437600-1537186124_thumb.jpg

Some of the parts will require riveting and folding but in general the construction should go more quickly.

Paul

• Like 5

While away from the Railway Room I have been able to do some research on various topics, often as a diversion from more pressing family moments.  One such area has been the relatively new field of laser modelling.

The various kits I reviewed at Telford were all quite amazing but the one problem I had with all of them was that, when you want to accurately model a prototype, there are likely to be few kits out there that will do and even then they will need a lot of customization to represent the prototype.

As an example, many reading this would say that companies like the LNWR built their signal boxes along set designs.  This may be true but in many cases there were individual changes made due to the land available.  For Penmaenpool it would appear that although the signal box was exhibited by the GWR at an exhibition before its installation it may well have been a one off design.  Most unusual is the fact that the levers faced away from the track, a rarity that can be modelled quite easily by relocating the interior to match.  Nonetheless, I could not find any laser cut kits that came close.

What may be useful are individual components, such as window frames, but even these are unlikely to be exactly correct.

So it looks as though I will be scratch building the rest of the structures as one-offs, using the brass strip framework employed on the engine shed and rec room.  This is another good reason for buying some RTR stock - time is of the essence.

The outstanding building/structures include the signal box, the station house (booking office and residence), the hotel, the goods yard shed and two wooden shelters on the platforms.  Then the platforms themselves, but this is where one possibility for laser cut parts might work as the platforms were wooden planks on cast concrete supports.  The supports could be laser cut as a batch.

Going back a few years, Alan Buttler did some sterling work on his diorama of Oswestry Works but this has had to take second place to his Modelu business.

Enough rambling.

Paul

Simon

Yes, Intentio have a good range and will make items to order - in my case the most obvious would be the "concrete" supports for the platforms.  As to other builders' components, Penmaenpool was built by the Cambrian (with the exception of the possibly unique signal box and goods shed which were by GWR) so nothing was standardized, so I think scratch building is the way to go.

Out of interest, are your buildings for Porth Dinllaen based on Cambrian or GWR architectural styles?  The restored station building at Porthmadog looked resplendent the other evening, even in a torrential downpour!

Paul

Hi Paul

the loco shed is based on the current Aberystwyth shed, which was built by the GW in the 30's to replace the old Cambrian shed.  MrsD & I went and measured it, and I drew the CAD.  The coal stage is a Timber Tracks kit, which was reputedly based on Didcot, but with a surprising number of inaccuracies, the worst of which I have managed to correct.

I'm not sure what I'll do if and when I get round to (and space to) build the station - I guess it would have to post-date Port and Pwllheli.  Jury's still out on that question!

best

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have put "Follow" on the other channel Paul.

Grahame

Would it be possible/appropriate to let others know what or where 'the other channel' actually is. I would like to follow Paul's progress but am struggling to find out where it has moved. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Gerry 

Edited by GJB

Would it be possible/appropriate to let others know what or where 'the other channel' actually is. I would like to follow Paul's progress but am struggling to find out where it has moved. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Gerry

The forum called "Western Thunder"