Model vans and trucks you wish you could buy but cant!

Busstopprints

Both aren't really vans, buy here are my two wishes:

1. For Oxford to produce minibus versions of their most up to date Transit

2. A 1:76 Plaxton elite coach from Oxford also.

Oxford do have licence to produce the current generation Elite but haven’t shown any inclination to do so. As they produce the Irizar which would target a large proportion of the market looking for a current model coach, as opposed to a specific livery/ model, I guess they don’t see enough volume to justify the tooling costs.

Personally I’d rather see a 21c model of the original Plaxton Elite, ideally the 11m, MkIII, Elite Express version with the ‘grant doors’ in Barton or National white colours. They were everywhere in the 70s/ 80s but the EFE model of the far less numerous 12m version just doesn’t cut the mustard in the current world.

Edited by RANGERS

• 3 weeks later...

post-26971-0-37138900-1523738327_thumb.jpgpost-26971-0-37138900-1523738327_thumb.jpg

The cement truck that could be filled directly from a presflow wagon as in the attched link.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=British%20Transport%20Commission&objid=1996-7038_BTF_C5_41

A model of this vehicle was intended to become number 077 in Meccano Ltd's Dublo Dinky range in the late 1950's, but never made it to production. Titled "The ALC Bulker", the prototype was based on a Dodge ('Parrot-nose') lorry which was shown on the Metalair stand at the 1957 Commercial Motor Show. Metalair was a new division of The Amalgamated Limestone Company (ALC), set up to produce the air-discharge body designed by an ALC engineer.  This very same photograph was shown in the Meccano Magazine shortly afterwards, undoubtedly the inspiration for the proposed model. However, the lorry in the photograph is a Leyland Comet, so we may never know whether this or the Dodge was to be copied in model form. However, I have made a model of what it may have looked like, keeping to the simple style of the other Dublo toys.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for ages and just after posting, I stumbled across this!

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-a3d0001-n-gauge-ncb-milk-float-no-doors-unpainted-43433-p.asp

milkfloat.png

These were featured and reveiwed in the NGS Journal last year (issue 5/17) and also pictured in 1/18. Are you no longer a member? If so it might be a good time to re-join.

;-)

G

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Oxford Diecast will be announcing more of their new 2018 range at the end of this month (May). It's not long away now so perhaps some frothing would be appropriate.

I guess for N gauge the wise money will be on just a couple of new/re-liveries of existing models rather than anything all new. But, in line with this thread, what would you like to see from them as all new models?

For me, as they seem to like commercials, odd balls and buses, I'd like an LT Leyland Titan and/or LT Red Arrow AEC Swift/Merlin (both in 1:148 scale).

post-33-0-14562200-1525802409_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-39362300-1525802442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Im surprised as ODC do reruns of sold out models that the LT roundal RM hasn’t been rerun.

A more modern cab to fit their range of truck chassis wouldn’t go amiss. Leyland Ergo, Ford D series, Bedford TK or a Foden or ERF would be great.

There are two more colours of Cortina outstanding and another for the MGB.....a hardtop MGB would be nice.

I expect we will get a second colour for the Imp, another tank and a different burger caravan!

• Like 3

Anyone know what the correct coach body would be for a KingsFerry commuter coach (Sheppey/Medway to London) for the 1980's? I have trawled the interweb for months, finding only the odd preserved vehicles and some indeterminate street scene views.

• Like 1

Im surprised as ODC do reruns of sold out models that the LT roundal RM hasn’t been rerun.

I expect we will get a second colour for the Imp, another tank and a different burger caravan!

Yep, but probably not that surprising. They like to produce weird, odd ball and unusual vehicles as witnessed by their huge ranges of agricultural, commercial, military, buses and luxury/sports cars rather than bog standard, common-or-garden, everyday private saloon and hatchback cars. But I think you know that, judging by your somewhat resigned, humourous and presumably ironic suggestions of what we will get.

;-)

G

Edited by grahame

Anyone know what the correct coach body would be for a KingsFerry commuter coach (Sheppey/Medway to London) for the 1980's? I have trawled the interweb for months, finding only the odd preserved vehicles and some indeterminate street scene views.

Kings Ferry renewed virtually the entire fleet with Berkof Esprit bodied Volvo B10Ms in August 1984, the Volvos replaced Duple and Plaxton bodied Bedford’s. These lasted until the late 80s being replaced with a varied collection of Plaxton, VanHool, Caetano, Setra, Bova and Neoplan vehicles. The Berkhofs aren’t available either as kits or ready to plant as far as I know, the Duple Dominant is available from BT Models but not in Kings Ferry colours.

Edited by RANGERS

Kings Ferry renewed virtually the entire fleet with Berkof Esprit bodied Volvo B10Ms in August 1984, the Volvos replaced Duple and Plaxton bodied Bedford’s. These lasted until the late 80s being replaced with a varied collection of Plaxton, VanHool, Caetano, Setra, Bova and Neoplan vehicles. The Berkhofs aren’t available either as kits or ready to plant as far as I know, the Duple Dominant is available from BT Models but not in Kings Ferry colours.

Very useful, many thanks. The Duple Dominant would be just right for c.1982 I think. The Colchester version looks about the right cream. Just a case of a repaint over the red stripe in cream and orange between the aluminium bodyside strips, and trying to persuade someone to do the transfers and I am there (apart from changing the destination board)..... Just right for placing on the dual carriageway above my Queenborough-Sheerness layout, once constructed.

Thanks again.

Apparently Oxford Diecast will be announcing more of their new 2018 range at the end of this month (May).

G

Due to Lyndon Davies’ second job, the announcements may just slip into June, and coincide with the June-September catalogue. More announcements planned for September so never any need to stop frothing.

The catalogue shows “range” items marked with a filled red square. Apart from the Red RM with “London Transport” markings each RM is a one off run. That is the collectors’ market for you. :-)

• RMweb Premium

The catalogue shows “range” items marked with a filled red square. Apart from the Red RM with “London Transport” markings each RM is a one off run. That is the collectors’ market for you. :-)

Thank you for explaining that, didn’t realise the significance of the red square.........Even odder when all they need to do is change the artwork for a different vehicle in the same livery.

• Like 1

Thank you for explaining that, didn’t realise the significance of the red square.........Even odder when all they need to do is change the artwork for a different vehicle in the same livery.

I guess the issue is “would they sell another 2000 from a new run?”

I guess the issue is “would they sell another 2000 from a new run?”

Maybe 500 each of four different decorations/liveries would be an easier sell.

Perhaps they need to consider and work on getting their minimum batch size down. Farish batches are 1000 and even Dapol are capable of breaking their batch size down in to quite small numbers of differently decorated models.

G

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they need to consider and work on getting their minimum batch size down. Farish batches are 1000 and even Dapol are capable of breaking their batch size down in to quite small numbers of differently decorated models.

G

Several years ago I investigated a commissioned livery wagon from Dapol and was surprised that the minimum order was only 42, and the price was quite reasonable.

G

Of course getting the viable batch size down would be ideal. With the factory making in 4 different scales with different demand levels the downtime from changing over from one small “paint and print” run to another might move N even further down the pecking order. Maybe someone should try to commission runs of 500 to see how the price gets affacted.

With the factory making in 4 different scales with different demand levels the downtime from changing over from one small “paint and print” run to another might move N even further down the pecking order. Maybe someone should try to commission runs of 500 to see how the price gets affacted.

I'm not so sure N gauge could get any further down the pecking order with ODC. And, of course, many other companies handle a number of different scales yet still manage smaller batches and different decoration/liveries within the batch.

I don't think a commission run was being suggested, just a request for a livery which could be part of a usual run along with other liveries. It's not a new model just a different decoration.

G

• Like 1

Still waiting for a diecast model of a Bristol KSW double deck, been made in whitemetal kit form but never a diecast model. This type of bus was widely used throughout the country and so would be able to be modelled in numerous liveries, unlike the AEC Q for example. In the past I have contacted EFE, Oxford diecast and the people who manufacture the new Birmingham? bus , is it Revolution? but to no avail. We have had the K type, the Lodekka in its various forms , the MW, the LS, the RE, the VR but never the KSW. 

Still waiting for a diecast model of a Bristol KSW double deck, been made in whitemetal kit form but never a diecast model. This type of bus was widely used throughout the country and so would be able to be modelled in numerous liveries, unlike the AEC Q for example. In the past I have contacted EFE, Oxford diecast and the people who manufacture the new Birmingham? bus , is it Revolution? but to no avail. We have had the K type, the Lodekka in its various forms , the MW, the LS, the RE, the VR but never the KSW. 

Nor have we had its predecessor, the 7'6" highbridge K. Again, available as a limited run resin kit only.

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would like an Austin K2 ambulance of the Ice Cold in Alex type, either or indeed both N and OO. Is there anything suitable in the military modelling world perhaps?

I would like an Austin K2 ambulance of the Ice Cold in Alex type, either or indeed both N and OO. Is there anything suitable in the military modelling world perhaps?

The Airfix Emergency Set contains the K2 ambulance and a K6 fire tender.