New Layout Idea- Swansea Victoria Themed. Huge Change of Plan!

danstercivicman

Looks like 4680! has run into Birmingham Hope St from Worcester Shrub Hill. A rare working but not unheard of in these late days of steam on BR..

What a beautiful loco! Ready for for the eventual start on Swansea Victoria :)

post-22023-0-00968200-1498153170.jpg

post-22023-0-72596400-1498153180.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 3

After realising I didn't have the Red Dragon Book for BR period photo's around Swansea,

though it's some 40+ years after my dates of interests (LNWR).
A nice, clean copy arrived today, £20 incl. p&p....

There are some silly prices out there, so beware, but £28 seems the norm..

It's a great book if you like loads of 3/4 front views of GWR engines and plenty of details of the individual engines too.  There are some useful detail shots of parts of the loco's....... However if you are looking for any descriptions of rolling stock, then 'get over it'.
I think I've picked up 2 photo's that mention the stock specifically, 3 lime wagons at Pontardulais and a ex. GWR clerestory coach at Paxton Street loco shed.

For those that have this book .. 'The Red Dragon & Other Old Friends Around Swansea- A Glimpse of Post War Steam', then the very light colouring of the coaches in Plate 145, might be worth a comment, presumably washed-out Crimson.

In Plate 142, the full brake is a ex. LNWR 50' top-light, (LNWR Dia. 375), a 4mm kit of this is/was available from 'Stevenson Carriages'.

And now one of the reasons I wanted to get hold of the book was to check the caption to I think it's plate 167, mentioned in Post #103 on page 5 of this topic, the 74xx as working the 2.40pm from Shrewsbury.  The photo caption is not clear, though the caption does mention elsewhere within it about small engines working south of Pantyffynnon. The Panniers did not work all the way through.

Plate 167 also mentions the connection of the coal siding through to the Mumbles Railway, behind the Mumbles Road Signal Box, this was presumably also the route the Clyne Valley Colliery connected via the LNWR into the Docks, the connection is a bit convoluted, running back underneath the Mumbles Road track, and forward into the Coal sidings etc., as can be seen here.   I've never seen any reference to the Clyne Valley wagons running all the way along the Mumbles Railway into Swansea.  There was no direct connection from the Colliery to the LNWR just south of Killay, that was the Rhydydefed Sidings leading to the Clyne Valley Brick & Tile Co., (I have copies of the LNWR South Wales Private Sidings Diagrams), there's no mention though in the portfolio of an agreement between the Mumbles Railway and the LNWR, where the coal yard siding goes through the gate onto the road.

post-6979-0-86146900-1498227095_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Re. 'The Red Dragon & Other Old Friends Around Swansea- A Glimpse of Post War Steam', 

There's hardly a mention of the Midland / N&B line into Swansea St. Thomas,

John Miles of this Forum and 'The Icon' will be disappointed.

Did someone mention the Swansea Vale? Luckily a new book has just been published:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swansea-Vale-Railway-John-Miles/dp/1911038192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498229424&sr=1-1&keywords=swansea+vale+railway

The July issue of Steam World has an article of Super D's running on the Western Region. It includes Paxton Street Super D's.

Did someone mention the Swansea Vale? Luckily a new book has just been published:

Unfortunately Amazon only list John Miles as the Author,

Karl Thomas and Tudor Watkins (The Icon) had a hand in it too. 

A very good book, some superb photo's.

Edited by Penlan

Mention is made earlier of a lack of views of the Goods Shed...  Correct, 

There's a minuscular view of the shed on a Aerofilms view here http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/archive/6201643/details/504 left hand edge.

Which interestingly shows the goods shed to be quite substantial and to have an almost square section it's a useful photo :)

It's also a good view as it shows the high level lines running on a viaduct :)

The far platform in this view is also noticeably longer.

I think now I've got the pannier super d's will be s lot further along the line...

After the summer I will start on the boards then buy all the many points!!

Which interestingly shows the goods shed to be quite substantial and to have an almost square section it's a useful photo :)

It's also a good view as it shows the high level lines running on a viaduct :)

The far platform in this view is also noticeably longer.

I think now I've got the pannier super d's will be s lot further along the line...

After the summer I will start on the boards then buy all the many points!!

If the high level line curves to turn over the main lines into the station at all then you could model a tiny bit of it on a bridge or small viaduct that could act as a good scenic break.

Dan, now that we've both got 4680 here's it's profile on BR Database. Handily for me its shed from 1957 until its withdrawal in 1966 (must have been one of the last Panniers around) was Worcester, about 20 miles give or take from Kinlet Exchange Sidings. Kidderminster was nearer however, so as a general question was it common for locos to spend a while 'on loan' to a different shed but without changing allocation?

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4680&loco=4680

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swansea-Vale-Railway-John-Miles/dp/1911038192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498229424&sr=1-1&keywords=swansea+vale+railway

The July issue of Steam World has an article of Super D's running on the Western Region. It includes Paxton Street Super D's.

Interesting stuff :)

Again I say, surely there is not enough space for any meaningful representation of either the goods shed or carriage shed at Swansea, they are just too large.

Ian

Hello,

I think looking at the plan there will be almost five carriage lengths of carriage shef. I think this will be more than enough to give the idea of s carriage shed.

Also the good shed will be around 30-40cm long which is quite big. I think it will do?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going to keep my eyes on this thread. I've moved back to Swansea for the second time and I've always been fascinated by the LNWR and MR presence here.

Oh, did other railways have a presence there?

:sungum:

If you go back to before the Big Four you had GWR, MR, LNWR, Rhonda & Swansea Bay, Taff Vale (through running on R&SB). Between them they had four termini, High Street, Victoria, St Thomas & Swansea East Dock

Tim T

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid due to health issues getting back to work is going to be my main priority over the next few months so unfortunately there will be no progress in the layout this side of Christmas...

I will come back to it in the new year but trains are not really a priority ATM. Thanks for all the support with ideas and this will be my 2018 project :). I'll keep gathering bits and bobs for it but can't undertake the construction yet

I hope all goes well for you and that you can return as quickly as possible to your model railway plans. It's such an interesting iconcept and if you want to mull over ideas I'm sure we will all be keen to chip in. 

Good luck!

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Your family and health are more important than the layout, but we will be interested to hear how you are getting on when you are ready to get back to it.  And you can find more out in the meantime...

All the best and hope you are fully sorted out soon!

Apparently the GW turned up as well...

and the Swansea & Mumbles Rly,  Swansea Harbour Trust Rly,

Rhonda & Swansea Bay Rly, Swansea Vale Rly (Midland Rly + Neath & Brecon Rly) , 

... and as already mentioned, London & North Western Rly.

• RMweb Gold

and the Swansea & Mumbles Rly,  Swansea Harbour Trust Rly,

Rhonda & Swansea Bay Rly, Swansea Vale Rly (Midland Rly + Neath & Brecon Rly) , 

... and as already mentioned, London & North Western Rly.

To be fair, you can't say the Swansea and Mumbles turned up, they were there first, by a good margin.  The others 'turned up', the GW originally in the form of the South Wales.  You may as well give Powlesland and Mason the benefit of the doubt and include them as well.  Oh, yeah, and if we're counting the South Wales we need to include the Vale of Neath, which had a pub named after it!

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 weeks later...

Your family and health are more important than the layout, but we will be interested to hear how you are getting on when you are ready to get back to it.  And you can find more out in the meantime...

All the best and hope you are fully sorted out soon!

Cheers, my health is getting there.  I have now been a good two weeks without headaches.  Basically I am pretty lucky to 1. be alive 2. not have brain damage...  I had a subdural hemetoma from a boxing injury...back to work and what not.  Downside is the DVLA take the licence for 6 months after head injuries....

I will come back to the layout plans next year!